Bimini problems

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

seminolewind

Bimini problems

#1 Post by seminolewind » Mon May 22, 2017 10:14 pm

This bimini top is probably normal. But I am not getting it. It's on a hurricane deck boat, round stainless steel with pins, and nylon straps that hook in the front, and in the back 2 long legs and 2 short ones . Problem is I pull the top forward and snap the straps in, then the whole rest of the bimini lands on my head. So the back poles won't reach where the pins go, and it's heavy for me. So I unsnap the straps, to try to pin the long legs up and the whole thing flies back and hits the top of the motor. I can't win either way. Is this a 2 person job? The marina guy says he can do it himself, but I don't feel I can- stretch it and line up the eye with the pin-its like impossible.

Is there an easier way or some way I can do this? I just don't get it.

mpilot

Re: Bimini problems

#2 Post by mpilot » Mon May 22, 2017 10:40 pm

The two short bars are so you can tow with it elevated. Start by lifting up the bimini in the center, then get one back pole in. Then you should be able to walk it over and get the other back pole in. A lot of people leave it in this position with the cover on if they don't leave it open. Once you have the back in then move to the front straps.

Rick McC.

#3 Post by Rick McC. » Tue May 23, 2017 8:37 am

[quote="mpilot"]The two short bars are so you can tow with it elevated. Start by lifting up the bimini in the center, then get one back pole in. Then you should be able to walk it over and get the other back pole in. A lot of people leave it in this position with the cover on if they don't leave it open. Once you have the back in then move to the front straps.[/quote]

Exactly. It ain't rocket science.

Mine had stainless poles front and rear, with no straps. I left both tops up year-round.

I'd leave the top put back with the rear poles in place if I wanted to close up the top. There's no reason to ever have them down, other than going under a low bridge.

If you have to lower them for the boat to fit into dry storage; ask them to move you to another spot where you can leave the top up.

My son's tri-toon has two tops which are left up all the time, including when in dry storage.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

NonHyphenAmerican

#4 Post by NonHyphenAmerican » Tue May 23, 2017 9:11 am

Evidently, you don't have enough lead in your ass.

On my toon, I leave the back two braces locked in place, move the bimini forward, unfolding it and then lock the forward braces in place.

This takes a bit of lead in your ass as the bimini cover is "Stretched" a bit in order to keep it taut when all the braces are locked in place.

I grab hold with one arm and put my weight into it and then use the free hand to lock the latch in place.

In order to release those latches, it takes a bit of weight on the cross bow to release some of the tension and get the latches to release in order to stow the cover in the "Radar" position.

On yours, I'd guess you should leave the back ones pinned in place, then pull forward and latch the straps.

So again, it's not rocket science, just put a little of your ass into it and it'll be easier.
[color=#FF0000][b]22' G3 SunCatcher V22F
Yamaha F-90
Tooning on El Dorado Reservoir[/b][/color]

seminolewind

#5 Post by seminolewind » Tue May 23, 2017 9:37 am

Thanks all. That might be the answer to ask for another spot so they can leave it up. Ass far as having enough lead in my ass, you're right I don't. I'm female so no male muscles here. I can fling 50 pound bags of animal feed around, but can't manage the bimini top weight as I look to place the poles while I line 3 spaces up for the pins to go thru.

BobL

#6 Post by BobL » Tue May 23, 2017 11:50 am

If you can sling 50lb bags of animal feed then you got plenty of lead in your ass (ha ha). The problem is it is awkward. What about getting a telescopic transom saver (or any kind of long pipe with a hook) where you can us that to prop it up until you can get the pins in place? If you go the transom saver rough the you would need it a bit longer but you can always extend it with a heavy wall PVC pipe or any kind of pipe. Just a thought......

If you don't know what I am talking about, here is a picture:

https://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Heavy-Du ... B003DJZ1D6
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

seminolewind

#7 Post by seminolewind » Tue May 23, 2017 3:27 pm

[quote="BobL"]If you can sling 50lb bags of animal feed then you got plenty of lead in your ass (ha ha). The problem is it is awkward. What about getting a telescopic transom saver (or any kind of long pipe with a hook) where you can us that to prop it up until you can get the pins in place? If you go the transom saver rough the you would need it a bit longer but you can always extend it with a heavy wall PVC pipe or any kind of pipe. Just a thought......

If you don't know what I am talking about, here is a picture:

https://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Heavy-Du ... B003DJZ1D6[/quote]

Now that's an idea! I just bought a boat hook, maybe it'll work, or maybe some ropes. Yes it's awkward . Thanks for the ideas!

Gearbanger

#8 Post by Gearbanger » Tue May 23, 2017 3:42 pm

Well guys, I'm 6 ft. tall, 240lb w/ plenty of lead in my ass and sometimes it's still a pain in the arse on my boat. If my wife had to do it by herself, we would have problems and sometimes the canvas gets really tight to the point where I have to use a lot of force and downward pressure to hook the last forward poles in. Sounds like you have some pretty good advice so far Seminolewind, just work from the back forward, one side at time is the best advice I can give.
2016 Lowe SS210 Tritoon w/ Mercury 150
2014 Ford FX2 F-150 Tow-vehicle

seminolewind

#9 Post by seminolewind » Tue May 23, 2017 9:48 pm

My hubs is not able to help. Like Gearbanger says, the thing can be a real PIA. I'm going to see if they have another spot because I can't see going thru all that every time I go out. And try a pole or rope if I have to.

TDJ2591

#10 Post by TDJ2591 » Sun May 28, 2017 9:46 am

It takes two of us to raise or lower our Bimini. And, because of the dry dock space, we have to completely fold it down after every use.
[color=#4000FF]2005 Crest Caribbean 25'
2006 Honda 135hp 4 stroke[/color]

seminolewind

#11 Post by seminolewind » Sun May 28, 2017 7:03 pm

[quote="TDJ2591"]It takes two of us to raise or lower our Bimini. And, because of the dry dock space, we have to completely fold it down after every use.[/quote]

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has trouble putting it up alone. I'll have to talk to them about possibly a spot with a bit more height.