bunk glides

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ROLAND

bunk glides

#1 Post by ROLAND » Wed May 24, 2017 4:49 pm

hey guys, I know that this particular topic has been covered ad nauseum and believe me I searched topic after topic before posting this. I just discovered this morning that the trailer bunks on my trailer have rotted. One of the bolts on the bottom of the bunk was loose and when I went to tighten it up, that section just broke in two and I was able to pull pieces of rotten wood out from the bottom side of the carpet... Not going back with carpet, going to go with some sort of bunk glide system.. I found an old post from 2011 where chill'nthemost showed pics of his bunk glide system and he posted this link http://www.easternmarine.com/Self-Cente ... er-86162-/... when I tried to go to the link, kept getting an error message or this page not found... anyway Chill'n says these bunk glides were continuous from front to back with cap ends fore and aft, also covered the sides of the wood. no countersinking ( i'm not sure and can't tell by looking at his pics how they attach to the bunks ) So basically the entire bunks covered.. my bunks are right at 16 feet long ( 2 x 4's )... anyone know where I can find these or recommend some others. Going to home depot tonight to buy the wood.. also, any helpful hints with installing them ( since I've not done it before ) as always I appreciate y'alls help with this...
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

crookedlaker

Re: bunk glides

#2 Post by crookedlaker » Thu May 25, 2017 4:46 am

Look at "Trailers for Pontoons" web site
I just bought a trailer from them, Great people to deal with.
in the parts sections they sell the vinyl cover for the 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 bunks
just get the vinyl covering and the end caps. they look good and make loading a breeze
Just use stainless screws on the sides

Mike
2017 Harris Sunliner 200
Tri-toon P+ Package
2017 Mercury 150 4 stroke

2014 Harris Cruiser 200 Sold!!
2014 Mercury 90 four stroke (120 HP via Simon Motorsports) Sold!!

gerg

#3 Post by gerg » Thu May 25, 2017 5:11 am

I used Trailer Bunk Glides from Surfix Incorporated and am very happy with them. http://www.surfixinc.com/surfix_trailer_bunkslides.html

They are pricey, but I like the idea of them better than the thin covers. Because the boat never touches the wood I used pressure treated lumber without worry. I installed them in early 2015 and have had no issues or regrets. I used the 3" x 48". It installs in minutes.
Attachments
IMG_0304s.jpg
IMG_0304s.jpg (261.17 KiB) Viewed 4170 times
IMG_0306s.jpg
IMG_0306s.jpg (180.8 KiB) Viewed 4170 times
IMG_0307s.jpg
IMG_0307s.jpg (221.73 KiB) Viewed 4171 times
gerg
2003 SunTracker Party Barge 200 'RiffRaft'
2017 Mercury 60hp Command Thrust
Brookville Lake, Indiana

- Why do they call it Common Sense when so few people seem to have it? -

Bamaman

#4 Post by Bamaman » Thu May 25, 2017 8:21 am

If someone's having problems getting their boat on a trailer at a ramp, some kind of plastic bunk boards might be warranted.

But I like a little grip that my carpet gives not allowing my boat to slip too easily back. It takes a little pressure off the tie down straps and especially the winch strap.

I remember when I bought my 500 lb. gun safe. I put it on my utility trailer with a wood floor and the safe was in a thick paper box. I ran by Target with my trailer, and looked back only to find my new safe gone. Went back to Lowes where I found my safe in the middle of a 4 lane highway. Another driver helped me get that safe back on the trailer.

I've had a boat break the winch rope and slide back a couple of feet on a trailer. And I've got no desire to see my boat trailer jackknifing because of a lack of weight on the trailer hitch.

My carpeted bunks do just fine, and I can re-carpet them easily whenever the carpet rots from age and weather. So far, my trailer bunks are in fine shape after 5 years.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

JLester273

#5 Post by JLester273 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:10 am

[quote="Bamaman"]
I remember when I bought my 500 lb. gun safe. I put it on my utility trailer with a wood floor and the safe was in a thick paper box. I ran by Target with my trailer, and looked back only to find my new safe gone. Went back to Lowes where I found my safe in the middle of a 4 lane highway. Another driver helped me get that safe back on the trailer.
[/quote]

Uh how in the world do you tow something without looking at it when you pull out every time. I don't think I have ever lost something out of a trailer and not known it right away.

Not trying to be a jerk with this comment BTW. Just seems strange to me to not know it is gone. But now that I said that I probably will have the same think happen...lol

Sorry I know I am off topic.
My rebuild thread.
http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24807

Rick McC.

#6 Post by Rick McC. » Thu May 25, 2017 1:53 pm

If you use your boat in saltwater; aluminum on carpet is a bad idea, as it WILL corrode holes through the aluminum.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

Rick McC.

#7 Post by Rick McC. » Thu May 25, 2017 1:55 pm

[quote="gerg"]I used Trailer Bunk Glides from Surfix Incorporated and am very happy with them. http://www.surfixinc.com/surfix_trailer_bunkslides.html

They are pricey, but I like the idea of them better than the thin covers. Because the boat never touches the wood I used pressure treated lumber without worry. I installed them in early 2015 and have had no issues or regrets. I used the 3" x 48". It installs in minutes.[/quote]

I have pretty much the same thing on the P/T bunks on my airboat trailer, and it works great. They've been on it for over 10 years now, too.
Rick

Drago

#8 Post by Drago » Thu May 25, 2017 5:28 pm

The link to my repair is at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12785
My procedure will save a bit of $$ over the stuff at http://www.surfixinc.com/surfix_trailer_bunkslides.html
but clearly the amount of work my way is very time consuming. Save yourself the gluing, drilling and
use the stuff that gerg from Indiana used. Looks like a much easier job to do. Spend the extra dollars,
save some time for the lake!
Kenneth & Joy
Lake Conroe, Texas
2007 Bennington 2577RFSi
2006 Yamaha F225
Solas 14.25x17SS prop
Best ever top speed 69.2KPH

rbtnt

#9 Post by rbtnt » Thu May 25, 2017 8:55 pm

When my carpet wore out, I replaced it with composite decking and put it on top of the wood. I removed all the old bolts and installed new ones through the wood and composite to the uprights. The bolts needed to be countersunk in the composite. With a couple of drills(different bit for each drill) and an air ratchet, it only took 2-3 hours to do 20' bunks by myself. The only place I found 20' composite was Menards. Everyone seemed to have 16' available. If they didn't have 20' I probably would have gone with 2 pieces to make 20'.

If the wood is in good shape and you don't want to disturb existing bolts, you could just bolt them to the bunks.

The composite is very slick and works well on the shallow ramp I use. I don't have to back the truck down in the water as far, but I do have to keep the winch strap on until I am ready to launch.

You might want to price the composite decking for your project. It will raise your boat up 3/4" - 1" in cause that is an issue.
2020 Bennington 23 SSRXP Mercury 250 Pro XS
www.mtboats.com - Links to all types of powerboat resources

ROLAND

#10 Post by ROLAND » Fri May 26, 2017 2:57 am

as stated earlier it's time to do some bunk repairs on my trailer.. the carpet is still in pretty good shape, but unfortantely, the wood bunks are rotted thru.. not surprised since the trailer is going on it's 8th season. this time getting away from carpet and going with these polymer bunk glides over new pressure treated 2 x 4's. ( trailerpartsdepot.com/p-3645-bunk-glides-2x4-boxed-4-50-pcs.aspx ) had to order 4 kits to accomadate 4 16' bunks, so yeah it got a little expensive but I'm looking at it as something that should last forever.. speaking of, would it hurt anything if I were to use some sort of sealer like thompson's water sealer on the 2 x 4's that I'll be buying to replace the bunks. That would extend the life of the bunk boards don't you think? I know that a couple of our members have used these bunk glides and if I remember right, they loved them... Guess I'll find out in a week or two.. these pics are from one of our members post showing the bunk glides installed.
Attachments
we don%27t need to stink%27n carpet1.jpg
we don%27t need to stink%27n carpet1.jpg (289.57 KiB) Viewed 4002 times
we don%27t need no stink%27n carpet3.jpg
we don%27t need no stink%27n carpet3.jpg (280.17 KiB) Viewed 4001 times
we don%27t need no stink%27n carpet2.jpg
we don%27t need no stink%27n carpet2.jpg (287.46 KiB) Viewed 4001 times
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

wwind3

#11 Post by wwind3 » Fri May 26, 2017 4:30 am

I don't use my trailer much except to take boat in if I need motor service and as a result of weather and critters(squirrels have devoured the carpet to make their nests) and lag bolts have stripped out in a couple places where the boards are attached I'll have to do something if I ever need to trailer any distance...this looks like a good fix except for dumping the boat on the ramps....
2009 LOWE SS204 25in logs
90 Merc Optimax
Motorguide W55 Wireless
Underskinning
28 GPS

ROLAND

#12 Post by ROLAND » Fri May 26, 2017 12:44 pm

[quote="wwind3"] this looks like a good fix except for dumping the boat on the ramps....[/quote]

I guess it could happen but since day one we have always employed the practice of not unhooking the winch strap until we are backed down the launch. My carpet is still in good shape but the bunks have finally rotted out. I'm hoping that by putting a sealer over the new bunk boards, and going with bunk glides, this will hopefully be something I won't have to address again for a long time.. we'll see.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

Rick McC.

#13 Post by Rick McC. » Sat May 27, 2017 6:23 pm

[quote="ROLAND"][quote="wwind3"] this looks like a good fix except for dumping the boat on the ramps....[/quote]

I guess it could happen but since day one we have always employed the practice of not unhooking the winch strap until we are backed down the launch. My carpet is still in good shape but the bunks have finally rotted out. I'm hoping that by putting a sealer over the new bunk boards, and going with bunk glides, this will hopefully be something I won't have to address again for a long time.. we'll see.[/quote]

Your original bunk boards probably weren't P/T.

The 2X6 bunks on my airboat trailer are still rock solid after 10+ years in 100% saltwater use. That said, I'm sure that the aluminum under them is corroded. If I replace them, I'll work out some kind of a vinyl insert to go between the P/T and the metal.
Rick

killerkernrich

#14 Post by killerkernrich » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:47 am

[quote="gerg"]I used Trailer Bunk Glides from Surfix Incorporated and am very happy with them. http://www.surfixinc.com/surfix_trailer_bunkslides.html

They are pricey, but I like the idea of them better than the thin covers. Because the boat never touches the wood I used pressure treated lumber without worry. I installed them in early 2015 and have had no issues or regrets. I used the 3" x 48". It installs in minutes.[/quote]
.GERG did they come already counter sunk or did you drill the holes??
Premier 221 Explorer 60hp merc

Proud Father of a Drill Sergeant at 193rd Basic Training Infantry Brigade, Ft Jackson, SC

PLP Member
Why don't anti-gun people have stickers on their windows that say This is a gun free home
NRA member
UFC fan

ROLAND

#15 Post by ROLAND » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:18 pm

[quote="killerkernrich"][quote="gerg"]I used Trailer Bunk Glides from Surfix Incorporated and am very happy with them. http://www.surfixinc.com/surfix_trailer_bunkslides.html

.GERG did they come already counter sunk or did you drill the holes??[/quote]

Killerkernrich... the link to the bunk glides on your post are not the ones I just bought.. the one's I just purchased don't have to have any counter sink holes, glides are secured to the bunk with ss screws on the sides of the bunk...jump over to the "members photo" forum and find " bunk glides arrived ". detailed pics there plus description... let me know what you think. This will be my first attempt at tearing out rotted bunks and replacing them with something different.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana