Hitch weight on pontoon

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Wet Willy

Hitch weight on pontoon

#1 Post by Wet Willy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:41 pm

I am wondering if my new pontoon trailer may be too far to the rear of the trailer making it too light on the hitch. With about 20 gallons of gas in the tank and nothing other than a few other regular needs (rope, anchor, life vests, etc) I can lift the entire boat and trailer up off the front jack by simply pulling down on the back end with my weight. Has a very "clunky" noise at the hitch when hauling which may be the problem as the front is trying to lift up on bumps, etc. Have 3/4 ton truck so it won't lift end up, and boat is 20' - think about 2200 lbs. Looks like I can shift everything forward on the trailer some inches, but then ends of the pontoons are not directly above tie-downs, Not sure how moving it 8 inches or so would affect launching/loading though. Anyone else have this issue? Sound normal?
Wet Willy
2017 Sweetwater 2086 C
Central Pa (Port Matilda, PA)

Bamaman

Re: Hitch weight on pontoon

#2 Post by Bamaman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:41 pm

You should have 10 to 15 percent of the total weight of the boat, motor and trailer on the hitch ball.

Have you ever tried to tow a tongue light trailer and looked in the rear view mirror to see it swinging 45 degrees back and forth. It's a frightening feeling.

I've also had a winch rope break and my boat slide back a little--causing crazy handling problems. I'm big on using a really thick rope on the front eye as a backup/insurance.

The winch tower usually is adjustable so you can get the weight right on the hitch ball.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

DWRAT

#3 Post by DWRAT » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:42 pm

Sounds much to light on the front end.
How does it tow, does it swing side to side by chance?
I personally would move it up about 6".
2012 SouthBay 722CRO 115hp Merc 4-stroke. Edit, make that a 150hp Merc 4-stroke now.

JLester273

#4 Post by JLester273 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:15 pm

Seems to light. I'd move it up too. I think Tie downs are just that. I wouldn't worry about them being a bit forward. The weight of the boat really is holding it down. I see the tie downs as holding it from bouncing up and out of the bunks. I tie mine down front and back and forward. It just depends on where your tie downs end up I guess and how high you tie to them from.

Not that I think that it will ever come off and damage it. More that I couldn't live with myself if it came off and hurt someone.
My rebuild thread.
http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24807

illinoid

#5 Post by illinoid » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:31 am

I blew a rear trailer tire at about 70 at the top of an overpass...The adrenelan rush is unbelievable. with no tongue weight it fishtails very quickly and the only way to straighten it out is to accelerate then try to slow down again...I swerved through both lanes and finally got it stopped to change the tire. It is something you never want to happen to you.
It makes no difference how big your truck is, I drove a heavily loaded F600 and an improperly loaded trailer and was all over the road if I got over 45.
[color=#FF0000]SOLD[/color]1975 24 ft Kayot, 1980 70hp Johnson formerly "Joy Toy", now named "Waterlogged" Sold
'03 F250 Powerstroke
2 60's 17ft Richline canoes Sold one

A place for everything...Everything out of place!

teecro

#6 Post by teecro » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:05 pm

As everyone as said you indeed sound like you're too light on the hitch, while it would seem like a good thing to be lightly balanced it is NOT and will cause you lots of grief... We had bought a little 16 foot bowrider that was the most unpleasant little combo to trailer due to chucking bucking and swaying till I went through the trailer and moved the winch stand several inches forward. Afterward you could all but forget that it's even back there. Our new 24 foot Berkshire Tritoon is huge compared to the mid size Nissan Frontier truck that we tow with but again it tows quite nicely due to it having more than adequate tongue weight...
T CRO
2017 Berkshire CTS 24 RFX with Yamaha F150/Simomized 200
2015 Caravelle 16 EBo with Mercury 90

NonHyphenAmerican

#7 Post by NonHyphenAmerican » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:37 pm

Wetwilly,

Take this for what it's worth.

While I haven't towed my toon a whole lot, I've got decades of experience as a Road Warrior towing trailers.

If I were you, I'd move your Winch Tower forward about 3".

If you want to check things, put a bathroom scale or parcel scale under the hitch jack and see what it indicates.

If you have a 2,200lb pontoon and trailer combo, you should easily have 250-300 pounds resting on the hitch jack.

And as previously stated, I'm one of those that believes in "backups", so yeah, my toon is tied down on the back with two straps, and on the front with the winch strap along with an extra cable clipped to a different point than the eye the winch strap hooks into.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... ction=view
[color=#FF0000][b]22' G3 SunCatcher V22F
Yamaha F-90
Tooning on El Dorado Reservoir[/b][/color]

rancherlee

#8 Post by rancherlee » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:17 am

I'd go extra heavy on the tongue, Pontoons catch a lot of air for a relatively light weight load and can "lift" quite a bit of weight off the tongue. The faster you tow, the more it "lifts". Mine, with the trailer, is right at 3,000#, and with only ~300# tongue weight, would have the hitch "rattle" with when I would get a strong head wind while pulling ~65mph. I now have 400# on the hitch and it never rattles anymore.
1988' Kennedy 20' "Haley's Comet"
Rebuilt 2016 with 25" single strake outer tubes and a 25x23" straked U-tube
2003 Suzuki DF140 - Yamaha 9.9HT kicker - 39.1@6300rpm

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#9 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:14 am

If your trailer has axle sliders, you need to move the axle aft of where it is bolted now, that will give you the extra tongue weight you need without moving the winch post and changing where the boat sits in the bunks.
Attachments
axle slider.jpg
axle slider.jpg (3.96 KiB) Viewed 4727 times
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

kryptonite

#10 Post by kryptonite » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:23 pm

[quote="FLOUNDERPOUNDER225"]If your trailer has axle sliders, you need to move the axle aft of where it is bolted now, that will give you the extra tongue weight you need without moving the winch post and changing where the boat sits in the bunks.[/quote]

This would be the preferred way to correct your problem.
2008 22' Tahoe Vista Elite Merc 75hp 4 stroke

GXPWeasel

#11 Post by GXPWeasel » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:26 pm

[quote="kryptonite"][quote="FLOUNDERPOUNDER225"]If your trailer has axle sliders, you need to move the axle aft of where it is bolted now, that will give you the extra tongue weight you need without moving the winch post and changing where the boat sits in the bunks.[/quote]

This would be the preferred way to correct your problem.[/quote]

Agreed, but if your leaf spring brackets are welded to the trailer, and therefore not movable, also the most expensive way to fix the problem. Then again, the best way, isn't always the cheapest way now is it. :biggrin2
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26

ralph

#12 Post by ralph » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:02 am

I noticed you have a 2017 model boat (new).

I'd give the dealer a shout and voice your concerns. This whole rig should have been set-up correctly before you took ownership. They should have the ways and means to correct this whether it is to move the winch forward or the axles towards the rear.
2015 Sweetwater 2086 Coastal Edition - All Toon'd Up
2015 90 HP Yamaha
Mid American Dual Wheel Bunk Trailer
2017 4WD GMC Canyon

Wet Willy

#13 Post by Wet Willy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:29 pm

Thanks guys! Lots of suggestions. I took a closer look at the trailer, and it looks as though the bunks can't move forward any more as the mounts on the front bunk bracket is on a crosspiece so it won't move any far forward. Only mention moving bunks as the bunks are now exactly underneath the round section of the pontoon. Don't think I want it hanging out over the bunk in the front if I move boat a few inches forward - think it might damage the pontoon. I can move the winch tower forward, but not sure how much extra that will give me. Probably try that (easiest) first. Will try and get a scale under tongue. Also will talk to dealer to see what he has to say.
Wet Willy
2017 Sweetwater 2086 C

Bamaman

#14 Post by Bamaman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:08 pm

Sometimes moving the winch tower 4-6" is all that's required to get adequate weight on the hitch. Easy to move'em too.

But cranking that sucker forward on a dry trailer may be tough. It's easier to pull up if the trailer's in the water.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

Wet Willy

#15 Post by Wet Willy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:38 pm

Finally had time to put a scale under the tongue - unbelievable - only 68 lbs!!!! Certainly will call dealer and see what suggestions he has.
Wet Willy
2017 Sweetwater 2086 C