Hitch weight on pontoon

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

NonHyphenAmerican

Re: Hitch weight on pontoon

#16 Post by NonHyphenAmerican » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:19 pm

68 lbs?

Yep. You have an issue and the dealer should help you with it.

If it were me, I'd take it to them, explain the issue and ask what they can do to make it correct.

If they're at all reputable, they'll take care of the issue.

Keep in mind the various options posted here and see if one of them is what he does.
[color=#FF0000][b]22' G3 SunCatcher V22F
Yamaha F-90
Tooning on El Dorado Reservoir[/b][/color]

teecro

#17 Post by teecro » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:55 am

[quote="Wet Willy"]Finally had time to put a scale under the tongue - unbelievable - only 68 lbs!!!! Certainly will call dealer and see what suggestions he has.[/quote]

Move your winch tower forward till you get 10 to 15 percent of your total weight on the tongue. This is the most simple method and is exactly what your dealer will do or tell you to do...
T CRO
2017 Berkshire CTS 24 RFX with Yamaha F150/Simomized 200
2015 Caravelle 16 EBo with Mercury 90

rockhound

#18 Post by rockhound » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:20 am

your dealer is probably a moron like most, they have no idea how to set up your boat much less a trailer, i have seen even rv dealer send people out the door with the most dangerous setup possible,

the problem is an easy fix, move the boat forward that is about the only option, how you accomplish that is to only question,

I have been pulling trailers for 30 years, i have never seen the adjustable suspension system posted earlier, you most likely have fixed springs, so moving the winch tower forward is your only option. I guess you could stack bags of concrete on bow. :lol3

Unless you have lots of heavy gear on the boat that could come forward you have to move the boat forward.

if you do have an adjustable suspension be very accurate when moving the springs, a trailer that has axles that are misaligned is not only dangerous, but will pull like it weighs 10,000 lbs empty, i had a 2005 diesel for years that would pull 15,000 lbs no problem up any pass in colorado at 60+ mph, hooked up a buddy's empty PJ car hauler that had misaligned axles felt like the truck was anchored.....
An over forty victim of fate....

Obama: finally gone, MAGA

Wet Willy

#19 Post by Wet Willy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:39 pm

Well, haven't gotten a scale under it, but moving it forward about 4+ inches so far has already made a big improvement in handling. May go another 2 more! Just thought I'd let everyone know.
Wet Willy
2017 Sweetwater 2086 C
Central Pa (Port Matilda, PA)

Bamaman

#20 Post by Bamaman » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:39 pm

Let me just say there's no way I can pick up the front end of my trailer with the boat on the trailer. I can barely move it around empty.

Our free city dump has a scale O couldmuse. Truck stops.also have scales. This is important for safety.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150