Used Pontoon prices.

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

JLester273

Used Pontoon prices.

#1 Post by JLester273 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:41 pm

So just for giggles today I decided to search Craigslist and FB marketplace to see what was available out there in the price range I paid for my boat. Now I am going to rebuild my boat but only now because of the PS giveaway. Otherwise I was going to wait several years before I did anything.

I knew when I saw the boat I bought it was a good deal. I normally would haggle a little but I didn't with this guy on this boat. Plus he was a dang nice guy. I was just the lucky one to get first crack at it.

From what I found I think I owe the previous owner an apology. lol

My boat I did have to spend money on once I bought it as the lower unit was trashed. But the motor runs good and everything else is serviceable for a while. And it is on a trailer. Single axle but not in terrible shape.

The stuff currently for sale in the same price generally has no motor or no trailer or both. And they look like they are trashed.
I mean do people really pay that for these things. I know new ones are pricey but people seem to think if they have some aluminum that resembles a boat they have a gold mine. Maybe it is just this area.
My rebuild thread.
http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24807

C_M_25

Re: Used Pontoon prices.

#2 Post by C_M_25 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:53 pm

Some of that is probably a result of the time of year you are looking. Check again in the winter and I bet you could find a better deal.
2014 Sweetwater 2086SW
90 Hp Yamaha 4-stroke

guy48065

#3 Post by guy48065 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:40 am

I was in the same boat (snicker) last fall. I wanted to restore my '79 Crest because it was solid and had no mechanical issues but the price of new carpet, top & furniture was higher than a used boat with good carpet, top & furniture. Not "like new", but good enough to last several years with care.
There were lots of good deals in the fall but many of them sold quick--before I could get there.

When I put the Crest up for sale it sat for months. I could have sold it several times but the sale didn't include my trailer. No trailer = no sale for many shoppers, at any price. Because I was shopping for a boat WITHOUT trailer it gave me many more to look at in the $3-4K range I was looking in.
Mark
1996 Sweetwater 180EX + Johnson 40
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI

JLester273

#4 Post by JLester273 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:01 am

I'm sure the time of year has something to do with it. Like I said I don't need another boat. I was just looking. Partly to see if there were any layouts I liked better than what I had planned. So far I haven't seen anything that has changed my mind on my new layout. I have time though so want to be sure when I order.

Yeah in the 3-4 k without a trailer I can see there being some good deals in the fall. Right now there are a bunch of wrecks in my area for that price. Maybe one or two out there that IMO are usable as is for a while. My boat was 2500 and I spent 500 on the LU. Then a few odds and ends. That and it was pretty much usable for a few years. The seats in decent shape. Much better than most I have seen in that range. Any you know seats are pricey. I was missing the Captains chair but had an old bass boat seat I mounted that works for now. I am looking forward to the project.
My rebuild thread.
http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24807