New Pontooner...Couple Questions

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

dylanlip

New Pontooner...Couple Questions

#1 Post by dylanlip » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:58 am

Hi All,

I have a 24 ft. 2015 StarCraft Pontoon with a Merc 115 EFI 4 stroke motor on it.

Couple questions regarding the motor that i'm hoping people can help me out with. When i'm running about 5100 rpms and adjusting the trim, itll trim up with no issues, but every now and then (not always) the motor will get stuck and not trim down. I usually have to bring the motor back into neutral, trim up and then back down for it to engage. Anyone had this issue before? Is it a safety feature of merc not to trim down at high rpms like that? I'm wondering if my trim/tilt pump is going, but seems strange that it trims up with no issues. Maybe a relay issue?

Another question regarding the motor.... we boat in the river and if we're leaving the dock at low tide, it's rather shallow. Therefore - we have to trim up. I may be losing my mind, but as we throttle up, i swear i see the motor trim down a tad. Another safety feature? I'm stumped here as i haven't found much online about it.

Last question! Totally unrelated to the motor... most newer pontoon's have the lifetime warranty on the toons when you buy them. Anyone had experience on using the warranty? co-owner of boat was docking it and got a bit too close to the dock resulting in a rather large dent/scratch. Doesn't affect performance, but is extremely ugly to look at. Is this something covered under warranty? or does the damage have to be more severe?

Appreciate any feedback!!

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

Re: New Pontooner...Couple Questions

#2 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:23 am

I'll address the easiest one first, the damage is not covered by warranty, it was damaged by the operator, not a manufacturer defect. Insurance will fix it, but since you didn't do it, you have to make the decision to turn it in or not. On the engine it should be under warranty, it sounds as if there may be air in the hydraulics of the TTU (Tilt Trim Unit), if it won't trim down while running that says either motor is weak or air because there is all the force of the water working against trim down, whereas trim up, the force of water is actually assisting. air in the system would make the system "spongy" so that is why you may see the engine move down when you accelerate because of the force of thrust from the engine/prop.
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

dylanlip

#3 Post by dylanlip » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:34 am

[quote="FLOUNDERPOUNDER225"]I'll address the easiest one first, the damage is not covered by warranty, it was damaged by the operator, not a manufacturer defect. Insurance will fix it, but since you didn't do it, you have to make the decision to turn it in or not. On the engine it should be under warranty, it sounds as if there may be air in the hydraulics of the TTU (Tilt Trim Unit), if it won't trim down while running that says either motor is weak or air because there is all the force of the water working against trim down, whereas trim up, the force of water is actually assisting. air in the system would make the system "spongy" so that is why you may see the engine move down when you accelerate because of the force of thrust from the engine/prop.[/quote]

Thanks for the info...does it seem strange that there will be times where we're running full speed and it tilts down just fine? Id say 30%-35% of the time it gets stuck and we have to reduce to neutral. Sounds like if there was air in the hydraulics, it'd consistently face this problem of being stuck.

Either way, thanks for the info - i'll have to pull it out of the water and take it in. It's under warranty.

dylanlip

#4 Post by dylanlip » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:34 am

[quote="FLOUNDERPOUNDER225"]I'll address the easiest one first, the damage is not covered by warranty, it was damaged by the operator, not a manufacturer defect. Insurance will fix it, but since you didn't do it, you have to make the decision to turn it in or not. On the engine it should be under warranty, it sounds as if there may be air in the hydraulics of the TTU (Tilt Trim Unit), if it won't trim down while running that says either motor is weak or air because there is all the force of the water working against trim down, whereas trim up, the force of water is actually assisting. air in the system would make the system "spongy" so that is why you may see the engine move down when you accelerate because of the force of thrust from the engine/prop.[/quote]

Thanks for the info...does it seem strange that there will be times where we're running full speed and it tilts down just fine? Id say 30%-35% of the time it gets stuck and we have to reduce to neutral. Sounds like if there was air in the hydraulics, it'd consistently face this problem of being stuck.

Either way, thanks for the info - i'll have to pull it out of the water and take it in. It's under warranty.

JLester273

#5 Post by JLester273 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:40 am

Well I just typed that all out and got beat to it. LOL

It may also be low hydraulic fluid. Fluid loads on the system while running can change depending on what your doing. It may be enough air or low fluid that sometimes it doesn't have enough force to overcome that load but other times it is OK. It is where I would check first anyway.
My rebuild thread.
http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24807

Bamaman

#6 Post by Bamaman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:17 pm

Check on the fluid level. Top it off and see if running the root up and down a!few times gets any air out of town he system.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150