How to figure out which size replacements to buy?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

photonfanatic

How to figure out which size replacements to buy?

#1 Post by photonfanatic » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:58 am

I'm looking to replace what you see in the pic. The clear coat is coming off, and I'm not sure exactly how to go about figure out which ones to buy. I think its safe to assume not all pontoon boats are the exact same on the front, so I don't want to order the wrong ones and have them not match the contour of the fence. Called the manufacturer, and they said that these aren't made anymore by the company that they buy them from. So it looks like I'll have to buy some aftermarket ones.

I've done a lot of work to the boat lately, and I just have no desire to redo these myself. So I need to find how out how much replacements cost, so I can weigh that vs the cost of having some local body shop fix the ones I've got.

photonfanatic

Re: How to figure out which size replacements to buy?

#2 Post by photonfanatic » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:04 am

Oops here is the pic:
Attachments
20170717_102701.jpg
20170717_102701.jpg (291.78 KiB) Viewed 4018 times

jadeboy

#3 Post by jadeboy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:13 am

why not take to a places that does upholstery and have them cover it in leather?

photonfanatic

#4 Post by photonfanatic » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:49 pm

Would leather be a good idea? Seems like it would succumb to the sun fairly quickly. But I wouldn't know. Maybe there is marine grade leather? What about vinyl?

Rick McC.

#5 Post by Rick McC. » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:57 pm

[quote="photonfanatic"]Would leather be a good idea? Seems like it would succumb to the sun fairly quickly. But I wouldn't know. Maybe there is marine grade leather? What about vinyl?[/quote]

Definitely vinyl, not leather.

Then you'd know the radius would be a match.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

jadeboy

#6 Post by jadeboy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:47 am

take it off the boat bring it too the place and have them cover it . who cares what the radius is

JLester273

#7 Post by JLester273 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:12 am

Where did my comment go?

Yeah I wouldn't go with leather. Marine Vinyl is made for exactly what it will go through. Moisture and sun exposure. That is what I would do. Take it to an upholstery shop and make sure they use marine grade vinyl.
My rebuild thread.
http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24807

photonfanatic

#8 Post by photonfanatic » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:29 am

Ok thanks guys. Will do. Much appreciated

Bryden24shp

#9 Post by Bryden24shp » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:24 pm

My self, I would take it out, sand it smooth and Plasti-Dip it with the spray cans. It lasts, is waterproof and very durable. If it does start to fade, it peels right off. My stripes on the hood of my Prowler have lasted for 4 years now. I Plasti-Dip a lot of stuff. Best stuff invented since the pontoon boat!
Attachments
20160229_155034.jpg
20160229_155034.jpg (47.72 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
Owner-EzFender Boat Products
Members, visit your discount page at:
http://www.ezfender.com/PontoonForums-M ... -Page.html

Rick McC.

#10 Post by Rick McC. » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:01 pm

[quote="jadeboy"]take it off the boat bring it too the place and have them cover it . who cares what the radius is[/quote]

The radius is the "curve" on the front that he wants to match with the radius (curve) of his front corners.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#11 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:15 am

[quote="Bryden24shp"]My self, I would take it out, sand it smooth and Plasti-Dip it with the spray cans. It lasts, is waterproof and very durable. If it does start to fade, it peels right off. My stripes on the hood of my Prowler have lasted for 4 years now. I Plasti-Dip a lot of stuff. Best stuff invented since the pontoon boat![/quote]

This... :thumbsup Exactly what I would do, I re-did a friends dash on his hurricane deck boat that had upholstery on the console, get rid of that crap, sand it and paint it.
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

photonfanatic

#12 Post by photonfanatic » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:01 am

Didn't think of that... I might plasti-dip it instead since it would be so much cheaper than having them covered in marine grade vinyl. Although the vinyl would be a good deal more classy lol.

As for the plasti dip, obviously it holds up to UV rays. People leave it on cars for years. However, how does it hold up to contact? Stuff touching it and laying on it all the time. People setting their phones, fishing lures, beer cans, you name it, on top of them. Will plasti-dip hold up to being on a surface that is used for that kind of thing?

Bryden24shp

#13 Post by Bryden24shp » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:11 am

If it can stand up to tree's and bushes rubbing against it in the boonies, and mud getting rubbed on it and clinging to it for weeks on end, like it does on my Prowler... It will stand up to what you'll be punishing with. I did my rock guards with it, and its stood up to hundreds of miles of gravel roads and rail beds. . Plus, its non-skid, stuff won't be sliding around when on top of it. Comes in a variety of colors, too. Check out the website... https://plastidip.com I use it on lots of stuff. You can non-skid almost anything with it. Swim platforms, bathtubs and showers.
Owner-EzFender Boat Products
Members, visit your discount page at:
http://www.ezfender.com/PontoonForums-M ... -Page.html

JLester273

#14 Post by JLester273 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:33 pm

As for the Plastidip and it holding up to touch. My guess is that depends on your prep work and how thick you spray it (or how many layers)

It is cool stuff for sure. I've been looking for something similar that is more permanent. Lick truck bed liner. But that stuff seems to collect dirt. I sprayed a set of old Mermite cans to use on my motorcycle to use as saddlebags or touring boxes. Which worked out great BTW. And after a couple trips with them they have a dirty look to them no matter how much I try to get them clean. It is like they are sticky or something for a while.... Then again I rode on some crappy roads in the middle of no where... I guess I could just give them another coat. That stuff is tough though.
My rebuild thread.
http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24807

photonfanatic

#15 Post by photonfanatic » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:59 pm

Do yall think the primer is necessary for this job? Or should I just skip the primer and spray the plasti dip?