Ordering new South Bay. Need advice.

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

bradm

Re: Ordering new South Bay. Need advice.

#16 Post by bradm » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:33 am

My 2 cents.

Agree with Strake regarding larger fuel tank. We have a 2016 South Bay 523 with arch and full center tube. We really like the larger fuel tank.

The full center tube with larger tank also puts tank in center tube, as opposed to under one of the seats on one side. Pick up storage space by moving tank into tube, plus avoids weight of full fuel tank on one side of boat. If you will carry large crowds, the full tube also provides some additional flotation.

We have not had any issue with water in center storage, and like the space for extra fenders (we carry larger fenders that most folks with Pontoons), noodles, skis, etc.

I think you will really like the power steering too if it comes with the full 3rd tube. Power steering is especially nice if you do much pulling tubes or other water toys, or teaching kids to ski, and do lots of turning, returning to try again, etc. Will make a much more enjoyable day for the boat driver.

We are really happy with our South Bay. It is our second, and I would not hesitate to buy another. At the same time, there are lots of other really nice boats, of really good quality, from different manufacturers out there. Good luck with your search!!!

Brad
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Brad M.
2019 Manitou Legacy with 350 Suzuki
2016 South Bay 523 Arch. 250 Suzuki SS (sold)

jb5023

#17 Post by jb5023 » Thu May 31, 2018 2:28 pm

Renegade wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:33 pm
Thanks for the replies! He emailed me the price quote: To go from the 2.75 to the 3.0 (full 3rd toon) is $1850US. To get in-floor storage add another $1700US (says I must get the 3.0 pkg to get in-floor storage). What you get in addition to the 2.75 pkg: "pad" running surface, power assist steering pump, sport ski bar, and bigger fuel tank (and the full 3rd tube with strakes). Tough call, I want the in-floor storage but not sure I want it $3500+ bad.

I am in the process of buying a 2018 523 RS 2.75, with in floor storage. Wonder why you couldn't get the 2.75 with in floor storage? What did you end up getting? I'm interested to hear, as I am getting something very similar. I'm getting the 523 RS 2.75, with a Mercury 150. Power arch, Sport ski bar, in floor storage, Hydraulic steering, couple other options.

Renegade

#18 Post by Renegade » Thu May 31, 2018 6:25 pm

I ended up going with a Bennington swingback with the full 3rd toon (sps package). The South Bay’s new pricing went up too much since my last one so I went back to Bennington. I originally switched to SB because of the bang for the buck.
I can’t remember for sure but the in floor storage might not of been an option last year. Unless the dealer was wrong, which could definitely be possible.

jb5023

#19 Post by jb5023 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:43 am

Renegade wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:25 pm
I ended up going with a Bennington swingback with the full 3rd toon (sps package). The South Bay’s new pricing went up too much since my last one so I went back to Bennington. I originally switched to SB because of the bang for the buck.
I can’t remember for sure but the in floor storage might not of been an option last year. Unless the dealer was wrong, which could definitely be possible.

What price were you getting on the South Bay? This would help me know if I am getting a descent price.

Thanks.

Renegade

#20 Post by Renegade » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:05 pm

Sorry for the delay. I've been away for awhile. Anyways, sorry, I didn't keep any of the quotes or info.