fresh to salt water

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Radartom

fresh to salt water

#1 Post by Radartom » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:12 pm

So I'm in Alabama and just bought a new Veranda pontoon this year with the thoughts of running it in the lakes and river here, and maybe a week a year down in Destin in the salt water. Not a big deal, but now it's looking like I'm about to make a big move that I really wasn't thinking about at the time of purchase. Looks like I'm heading to the keys, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of fresh water to boat in. So what if anything do I need to change out on the boat to make it more of a salt water boat then a fresh, other then the standard flush and rinse after use.

Gonefishing

Re: fresh to salt water

#2 Post by Gonefishing » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:16 am

If just pulling it in n out when used nothing really. Just a good rinse of boat n trailer. Flush motor. If leaving in a slip add zinks to the pontoon itself not just the motor. Most important is just a good rinse after use. I live on the coast n mine is in salt water all the time. Just takes a little more care.
Bob Jacksonville, Nc

2013 Excursion X23 RFC
2013 115 Yamaha
Pulled with a Ford King Ranch

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#3 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:17 am

Extra measure of protection, used this stuff as long as it has been in existence, better than just a freshwater flush.
Attachments
saltaway.jpg
saltaway.jpg (44.88 KiB) Viewed 3801 times
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

Radartom

#4 Post by Radartom » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:24 pm

Sort of what I thought just thought I would ask and verify. Thanks

boocat

#5 Post by boocat » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:57 pm

galvanized or aluminum trailer? Treat all you electrical connections and fuse block.

Radartom

#6 Post by Radartom » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:57 am

Aluminum on the trailer.

zoom650

#7 Post by zoom650 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:12 am

Salt creates it's own little environment in enclosed spaces. It's the nature of living next to the sea. But, I'm still jealous of your move.

I always used CRC protectant to spray my electrical panel connections under the helm or other closed spaces. If you've got any other unsealed electrical connections, just be aware and check from time to time.

Already mentioned was a zinc anode for each toon. The salt package I have now includes a block of zinc under the motor mount on the transom. My engine has two anodes on the lower unit.

Regular engine flushes are a must. I also did engine maintenance every hundred hours and this included new impeller.
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.

ron nh

#8 Post by ron nh » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:40 am

Keep in mind that you also have an aluminum deck, You'll have to make sure to get to every little corner and hiding spot for the salt to settle in.
2015 Qwest LS 818XRE Tri-toon w/mercury 115.

boocat

#9 Post by boocat » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:22 am

I worked on boats on the gulf coast for years, you can slow the damage but thats about it. It is just the accepted way it is for being in the salt.

joe20toon

#10 Post by joe20toon » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:19 am

No carpet on the trailer bunks/skids. They hold water (salt) and will cause corrosion.

Comment from another forum:

"I just purchased a new trailer with plastic slides. The dealer told me that these were preferred because the carpet will hold salt water against the aluminum pontoons causing corrosion. My boat is fiberglass so it doesn't really matter for me but it does make it easier to launch with the plastic/vinyl bunk covers."
2016 20 foot Sylvan RPT (V Pontoons)
Yamaha Vmax SHO 115HP
80 Pound Thrust RipTide Trolling Motor
Humminbird Helix 7 Side Imaging

Radartom

#11 Post by Radartom » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:36 pm

[quote="joe20toon"]No carpet on the trailer bunks/skids. They hold water (salt) and will cause corrosion.

Comment from another forum:

"I just purchased a new trailer with plastic slides. The dealer told me that these were preferred because the carpet will hold salt water against the aluminum pontoons causing corrosion. My boat is fiberglass so it doesn't really matter for me but it does make it easier to launch with the plastic/vinyl bunk covers."[/quote]

Even before the news of the move I was planning to do this, this winter

Jake_Daddy

#12 Post by Jake_Daddy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:44 am

I just put another post on this on another thread but put some type of plastic isolator between the aluminum trailer and stainless components on it, assuming you have stainless. This will save you some trailer frame repair down the road.

You can find the comment:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24984
2001-20' Godfrey Sweetwater
1991 Mercury 90hp
Merritt Island, FL

Radartom

#13 Post by Radartom » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:33 pm

Well change of plans, not because of Irma, but looks like I'm heading to Melbourne Florida now. Was sitting at my desk getting ready to accept the job in key west, and got a call being offered a different job in Melbourne. Same 3 letter .gov agency, same job, just different location. Can't wait.

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#14 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:20 am

[quote="Radartom"]Well change of plans, not because of Irma, but looks like I'm heading to Melbourne Florida now. Was sitting at my desk getting ready to accept the job in key west, and got a call being offered a different job in Melbourne. Same 3 letter .gov agency, same job, just different location. Can't wait.[/quote]

Melbourne is also a great area, I grew up just south of there in Ft. Pierce. No change in your original questions and board suggestions, you'll still be doing a lot of salt Water, beautiful cruising in the ICW (Indian River) you can take day trips and cover huge amounts of territory north and south, Cruise to Daytona Beach to the north, or further, and to the south Ft. Pierce (has an inlet to the Atlantic) Jensen Beach, Stuart. Enjoy your new location.
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150