Looking for 1st pontoon and need advice

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Lamajama

Looking for 1st pontoon and need advice

#1 Post by Lamajama » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:28 am

Hey everyone,

A total newbie to pontoon boats but have been asking current owners (limited number up here) for advice so thought I would join this site and get even more advice.

The Fall up here (Canada) is the best time to buy used. It's fresh water only on Shuswap Lake and want low maintenance/easy winterization etc.

I'm looking for around 24 feet but am flexible obviously and want low maintenance/easy winterization etc. This boat will be used by a number of different people
that may stay on our property occasionally so I would like some basic "idiot-proofing" in terms of operating - ie - gas and check the oil and away you go....

I'll tell you my budget but in Canada you'd have to remember prices are higher here by a longshot due to relatively low sales vs southern USA. That said
I think I'd be around the $25k mark and willing to buy a boat 5-8 years old (depending of course).

I actually live right on the Washington state border (Lake is 4 hours away) and have brought PWC's back from as far away as Oregon before so a USA boat is not a deal breaker despite
the currency exchange. I know even around Nevada and Arizona the boats are relatively plentiful but many have sun damage issues on upholstery etc. Unless I
get a screaming deal and the engine is in great shape (no work needed) I'd rather not have to dump money immediately into cosmetic stuff like new seats etc.

Obviously you can tell if the boat has been well looked after cosmetically but the engine is the biggest lack of knowledge for me. I already know to stay away from salt water-used boats...

Based on previous discussions I think I'd prefer a 4 stroke due to the low maintenance/longevity etc advantages.

It will be used for primarily cruising and *maybe* some water skiing or tubing but that would be rare. Capacity is fine at above 10 or so.

So some basic questions...

- engine - 4 stroke for stated reasons? HP around 115 - 125? outboard only? Any tips to immediately look for or look out for in terms of potential problems when I'm
talking to a seller?
- engine brands - any preferred over others and names or years to stay away from? eg Merc's from 2009 to 2012?
- hours - what engine hours are "normal" and what hours tell me to move on?
- pontoon manufacturer's - names to stay away from or look for?

Any other misc tips on what to look for even in terms of amenities on-board would be a great help.

Thanks for all those who take the time to reply!

ralph

Re: Looking for 1st pontoon and need advice

#2 Post by ralph » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:24 pm

I'd look for a larger HP engine for that size boat, maybe 150 on up. You won't like it if it's underpowered. Also, if you want it and can find it, a forward bimini that zips to the rear bimini that will shade the entire deck might be nice. I wish I had one.

Lastly, the larger diameter pontoon the better. Will keep the deck further above the water and out of the chop on the lake. I think the basic diameter is 23". I have 27" pontoons but if you're looking for a tritoon they may not offer them that large.
2015 Sweetwater 2086 Coastal Edition - All Toon'd Up
2015 90 HP Yamaha
Mid American Dual Wheel Bunk Trailer
2017 4WD GMC Canyon

Lamajama

#3 Post by Lamajama » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:40 pm

Thanks for the reply! I hadn't considered the size of the pontoons themselves. Good information.

BobL

#4 Post by BobL » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:03 pm

I'll throw in my $0.02.

Your answer = size is 23/24 feet
Your answer = some water sports
Your answer = used boat 5+ years old

Given the above, outboard of at least 150hp (4 stroke). Personally, I would steer clear of an I/O and stick to an outboard. Outboards are easy to maintain, there is no real winterization process, easy to work on, and easy to replace.

Boat of that size and motor will usually come with hydraulic steering but make sure when doing your research.

Tri-Toon

Due to being used, I would go with a good brand as their accessories/furniture/equipment usually holds up longer

Will you fish? If so, do NOT get carpet. Personally, I would steer clear of carpet even if you don't fish.

Do you have a tow vehicle capable of pulling the boat? Lots of people leave that out of their decision process only to find out they need to upgrade their vehicle after the purchase.

If you are going to store outdoors then make sure the cover is in good shape as those are expensive and you don't want any surprises.

As far as what to look for (this assumes that you will not initially look at it in person)......

Ask if used in salt water or fresh only.

Get lots of pictures that are UP TO DATE - beware of pictures that do not have registration numbers and an up to date inspection sticker. Lots of sellers send pictures of the first day the bought it.

Get pictures with the nav/anchor lights on.

Get pictures of the gauges with the engine hours.

Get pictures with the engine cowling off.

Get lots of pictures of the vinyl and look for cracks/rips/tears and seam separation.

Get pictures of the prop.

Get pictures of the trailer with all the lights working.

Get pictures of the TIRES - you may need to budget for new tires.

Get pictures of the bimini in the up position so you can look for rips.

Engine hours can range from 10-20 per year up to 40-50 per year.

Ask the owner what does not work. Most reputable owners of used boats will tell you if something does not work.

Once you get all the pictures, then go and drive it. Personally, I would pay a local dealer/mechanic to inspect the boat (mostly the engine) and change the oil and impeller before you hand over the $$.

If buying in the US, then I assume you know all about making sure all the paperwork (title to the boat, title to the trailer, etc.) is straight before you bring it across the border. Some US states don't title boats and some do so not sure what Canada would require.

Those are some things off the top of my head. I am sure others will chime in. Good luck!
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

Lamajama

#5 Post by Lamajama » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:12 pm

That is awesome information. Thanks for taking the time for the lengthy reply!

smltooner

#6 Post by smltooner » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:02 pm

Welcome to the club and good luck with your search.
SMLTOONER
Ted & Emily
2019 Bennington 21SL Tri-toon
2019 Yamaha 150 HP
Smith Mtn. Lake, Virginia

ralph

#7 Post by ralph » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:22 am

Good advise from BobL
2015 Sweetwater 2086 Coastal Edition - All Toon'd Up
2015 90 HP Yamaha
Mid American Dual Wheel Bunk Trailer
2017 4WD GMC Canyon

Lamajama

#8 Post by Lamajama » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:36 am

Thanks for all the comments.

Can anyone offer their advice on outboards in terms of brand names to look for/stay away from and/or years to avoid?

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#9 Post by lakerunner » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:23 am

I would avoid 2 stroke as you wanted easy maintenance. I have an Evinrude ETec 90 and though a good engine maintenance is harder. Plugs have to be indexed and water pump replacement is more difficult.

I would stick with late model 4 stroke fuel injected.
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

yardbird

#10 Post by yardbird » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:48 am

The small marina where I keep my boat used to rent pontoon boats to people for excursions on the Erie Canal. If people will be using this boat other than you then definitely no 2-strokes. The marina here started out with 2-strokes and none of them lasted 3 years. People didn't mix the gas correctly and some just fueled up with straight gas. They switched to 4-strokes and those were still going after 12 years when they decided to stop renting the pontoon boats. So in terms of idiot proofing, I would definitely go with 4-strokes.

And the advice to take your vehicle into consideration is very valid.

I drive a Santa Fe with towing package. (and 6 cyl engine). I can tow 1700 pounds if the trailer has no brakes and like... 3500 or 3600 if the trailer has brakes.
Tow capacity has far LESS to do with how much you can pull and far MORE to do with how much weight you can STOP!.
They build in a safety margin of course (as they have to cover their butts).
Right now, boat (820 pounds), trailer (820 pounds) and motor (100 pounds.... yeah, it's only a 30hp 2-stroke) puts me at 1740 pounds... single axle trailer, no brakes. So I'm over by 40 pounds. If I'm just trailering from the ramp or to the ramp, that little overweight doesn't scare me. But if I was going to go somewhere like... a couple hours away for a week stay, then I'd probably swap vehicles with my brother and take his truck (Dodge Ram 1500 with a hemi)... because your "cargo capacity" includes what's IN your vehicle AND whatever stuff you've heaped on the boat.

Lamajama

#11 Post by Lamajama » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:02 pm

Thanks for the confirmation on the 4 strokes. That's what I'll be looking for.

The tow vehicle I have pretty much under wraps. My son has a F350 Diesel so that would be fine although the longer term
plan (inside 2 years) is to leave it on the dock at the property during the summer and store in a to-be-built shop on the property
during the winter. I wouldn't tow it back 4 hours to my full time residence on the Coast in any respect.

And thanks for the reply!

WI-RiverRat

#12 Post by WI-RiverRat » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:43 pm

Lamajama : Welcome to pontooning... you'll love it. No one EVER complained about buying to much Horsepower. On a 22' - 24' boat I'd go 150HP, minimum.

Take this from someone who got a GREAT deal on a 22' Bennington w/ Merc 115Hp 4 Stroke. A great boat and a great motor, but what I'd give for a 150 on the back end. The 115Hp is great for cruising, but a bit underpowered for watersports. You can do it - I've been skiing behind it (220lb adult), tubing is ok, pretty good with a bungee rope, but teenagers will find it a bit slow.

I've owned old 2 strokes, I/Os and now 4 stroke. I LOVE the Merc 4 stroke / Yahama is basically the same in some models. Easy to maintain and reliable. No oil to fill (no mixing these days), but one less thing to forget.

Get a tri-toon if you can. Consider where the boat is going to live. If your going to trailer 4 hours one-way ALOT consider the tow vehicle. Otherwise focus on who is around your lake and has a GOOD reputation.
Wisconsin Summers are TOO Short :)
2001 - 22' Bennington w/ 115Hp Merc 4 Stroke 25 GPS
2008 - 3 Seat 155Hp Sea Doo
Canoe
Kayak
1992 - 18' Rinker Captiva w/ 175Hp I/O (Gone)
1975 - 15' StarCraft Tri-Hull w/ 70Hp Outboard (Gone)

NonHyphenAmerican

#13 Post by NonHyphenAmerican » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:32 pm

Per my signature, I have a Yamaha 90hp. Four Stroke.

It has been a good motor and there's lots of others at the lake I'm on.

I'd buy another one.

For that matter, I'd have no problem buying another SunCatcher G3 which is built by Yamaha.

As for motors?

In your area, what is the prevalent and common brand?

That would be one direction to look as there is almost certainly someone who knows how to work on them.

If you buy a Honda for example, (I had a small Honda on my little fishing boat, it was a great little motor) and everything else in your area is Yamaha, where do you get parts or service?

Conversely, if everyone has a Honda, a Yamaha might not be as good a choice.

So ask around the lake you want to use and find out who has had good service from whom.
[color=#FF0000][b]22' G3 SunCatcher V22F
Yamaha F-90
Tooning on El Dorado Reservoir[/b][/color]

Lamajama

#14 Post by Lamajama » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:00 am

There are plenty of pontoons on the lake and once there it will likely stay.

I've talked to a number of owners but all the advice is real good - especially finding out who in the area is reputable.

Thanks to all who have posted so far.

Now I just need some end-of-season deals (well, where the IS an end-of-season...) to start appearing....

Lamajama

#15 Post by Lamajama » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:02 pm

Another question. I'm located on West Coast just above Washington State and
can go down to USA to search for a boat but I'm not sure of where to look.

What specific areas on the West Coast via Craigslist I guess would have the most
boats for sale. I would like to stick to freshwater only.

If anyone also has any good specific web sites to look at that info would be greatly
appreciated as well!