Underskinning questions...

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Xxxander

Underskinning questions...

#1 Post by Xxxander » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:48 pm

Hey guys. Very new to the forum and tooning! Just bought a new to me 07 premier sunsation 225. Very excited to get it on the water this weekend in folsom lake California. Reading a lot about underskinning as mine will need it.

Ok. I understand to use .06 or larger guage aluminum.
Questions. What other materials could you use? How about the galvanized corrugated roofing running length wise down the boat?
Most photos i have found run the material all the way to the pontoons and some run an L bracket to cover mounting brackets of the tube. I have also seen one with the sheet straight down the middle of the deck with a few inches open on either side. What are the reasons for doing all the extra work and is it really worth it?
Thanks in advance
2007 Premier Sunstation 225 RE
W/Suzuki 60hp
2015 Toyota Tundra

Bamaman

Re: Underskinning questions...

#2 Post by Bamaman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:50 pm

You will need to use flat a!uminum sheeting running from toon to toon. I am not sure of the most popular gauge, however.
I rea!ly don't know if 60 horsepower boats have the speed to where underskinning is worth the cost and effort.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

taylorjm

#3 Post by taylorjm » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:36 pm

I talked with a member that used sheets of 1/8" hdpe plastic. I think I'm going to go that route. It's cheaper and easier to work with. The member used it because he has asian carp that hit the bottom of the boat and a 10lb fish would dent the aluminum up in a hurry. He said the plastic is holding up well and hasn't taken any damage from the fish.

rancherlee

#4 Post by rancherlee » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:29 am

I used a couple of truck bed liners I picked up free/cheap and used the 4x8 middle sections for my first under skinning job, installed with stainless screws. On my recent rebuild/3rd toon (and hopefully last) I use .090 aluminum and HD 1/4" aluminum rivets for that clean "factory installed" look. The Aluminum under skinning is quieter, the bed liner made a very quiet "beating a large drum" sound when waves hit it, the Aluminum doesn't
1988' Kennedy 20' "Haley's Comet"
Rebuilt 2016 with 25" single strake outer tubes and a 25x23" straked U-tube
2003 Suzuki DF140 - Yamaha 9.9HT kicker - 39.1@6300rpm

taylorjm

#5 Post by taylorjm » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:28 pm

[quote="rancherlee"]I used a couple of truck bed liners I picked up free/cheap and used the 4x8 middle sections for my first under skinning job, installed with stainless screws. On my recent rebuild/3rd toon (and hopefully last) I use .090 aluminum and HD 1/4" aluminum rivets for that clean "factory installed" look. The Aluminum under skinning is quieter, the bed liner made a very quiet "beating a large drum" sound when waves hit it, the Aluminum doesn't[/quote]

Were they the drop in bedliners? The ones I've seen are less than half the thickness of 1/8" hdpe panels. I wonder if using the 1/8" would deaden the sound.