Changing motors. Questions...

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

yardbird

Re: Changing motors. Questions...

#16 Post by yardbird » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:49 am

[quote="Bamby"]Maybe a group purchase? I'm sure other members here me included also could utilize some marine plywood to replace their motor transoms also. So if this could work out it would cost out to just over three dollars a square foot at actual costs per sf. Four dollars a sf is probably fairer to the person who picks up the plywood and has to lay out and rough cut the the balance of plywood purchased by the other members. Could actually be win, win situation for several people that may be needing some.[/quote]

If I end up having to buy a full sheet, I would definitely be receptive to selling off the remainder of the sheet. At cost and whatever UPS charges. Smaller pieces shouldn't be expensive. I mean, typically, what are we looking at? 2 foot squares? If that?

yardbird

#17 Post by yardbird » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:56 am

And I think I've decided to build a motor stand on wheels and try to get the new motor onto the stand for the winter. I still may end up having to store my lawn mower back in my woodworking shop for the winter because I'm running out of garage space and the wife's car HAS to go into her half of the garage in the winter. So my half is lawn mower, snowblower, compressor, .... good thing my car has a remote start.

Anyways... if I get it upright and on wheels, I can shuffle it around as needed and it will be one less step when it comes time to mount it.

Because I'll have the 2-stroke off the boat as well so... 2 motors in the garage until I sell the 2-stroke

Retired OG

#18 Post by Retired OG » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:31 am

[quote="yardbird"]

I'm curious what you used for transom material. I have a woodworking shop out back, but I'll tell ya, this is looking like the most expensive little piece of wood I'll ever fabricate!

[/quote]

I used regular pieces of plywood epoxied together and epoxied the finished piece with marine epoxy resin...when I drilled the bolt holes & ran the bolts through I used some silicone calking to seal them....it didn't cost a dime. because I used pieces of scrap wood.
1973 Kayot with 1972 Evinrude 50 hp Lark

Retired OG

#19 Post by Retired OG » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:35 am

[quote="yardbird"]And I think I've decided to build a motor stand on wheels and try to get the new motor onto the stand for the winter. I still may end up having to store my lawn mower back in my woodworking shop for the winter because I'm running out of garage space and the wife's car HAS to go into her half of the garage in the winter. So my half is lawn mower, snowblower, compressor, .... good thing my car has a remote start.

Anyways... if I get it upright and on wheels, I can shuffle it around as needed and it will be one less step when it comes time to mount it.

Because I'll have the 2-stroke off the boat as well so... 2 motors in the garage until I sell the 2-stroke[/quote]

Unless you plan on taking it off your boat every year, why bother building a motor stand??? Why not just mount it and be done with it. Sell the other motor before you take it off your boat..

yardbird

#20 Post by yardbird » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:54 pm

[quote="Retired OG"]

Unless you plan on taking it off your boat every year, why bother building a motor stand??? Why not just mount it and be done with it. Sell the other motor before you take it off your boat..[/quote]

Yeah, you're probably right.

And... looking at this aluminum option...
Currently the transom is inch and a half plywood. It fits into channels at each side. This boat won't ever have a motor over 50hp. Looking at the new toons, they have all aluminum transoms. Looks like 2" x 4" welded to 1/4" plate. That's pretty beefy, but they're hanging some big motors on them.

If I used 1x3 rectangle tube (0.125 wall), welded to 1/4" plate, do you think that'd be plenty? (It would still fit in the channel)
The 1x3 rectangle tube would be laid out around the perimeter and then 2 pieces vertical where I'd be bolting though.
Materials cost is about $130 (or less maybe if I do some shopping around) and whatever it costs me to get it welded up.
Total thickness is then inch and a quarter instead of inch and a half, but all aluminum.

New motor does not have clamps like the 2-stroke does. It just sits on the transom and gets bolted through

yardbird

#21 Post by yardbird » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:44 pm

ok... forget all that. KISS principle kicking in. Found a guy nearby that has 3/4 marine ply enough to do my transom for $25.
That and like... a quart of epoxy and it should last a few years. And if I feel ambitious I could even put some fiberglass on it.

yardbird

#22 Post by yardbird » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:34 pm

I went and put my deposit on the motor today. I got to see the box! (Woo-hoo.... right?)

They really give you everything. I get a tachometer that has indicators for other functions, battery condition, oil, temp... and a trim gauge... and a water separator. This is in addition to the controls, and gas tank, and pro, lifting eye, maintenance tools, a spare spark plug.... and maybe more. Now I REALLY need the new console.... muahahahah

yardbird

#23 Post by yardbird » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:30 am

Wow... 2-stroke is sold. It's still on the boat in the slip! So... gonna arrange so when I take it off, the buyer is here to put it right in his truck. Then I don't have to make a stand for it. Although for that one I think I could just modify my 2-wheel dolly to hang it for a few days.

willy13

#24 Post by willy13 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:58 am

My Yamaha 115 was packaged in a metal crate that I was able to modify into an engine stand. I tipped the crate upright, beefed it up a bit, and then bolted a wood pallet under it.

yardbird

#25 Post by yardbird » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:14 am

[quote="willy13"]My Yamaha 115 was packaged in a metal crate that I was able to modify into an engine stand. I tipped the crate upright, beefed it up a bit, and then bolted a wood pallet under it.[/quote]

Yeah, I saw the box this is in and you're right. It has a metal frame, an internal cardboard box, with another cardboard cover over that. So maybe I can just get it into the garage, standing up, and put a couple of 2x6s under it just to get it off the concrete floor. And I have a 2-wheel dolly rated for 750 pounds and the motor is only 200. It's just.... bulky. But with a helper I'm reasonably sure I can scoot it around.

Retired OG

#26 Post by Retired OG » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:43 am

Why not just start the process of mounting it? Quit worrying about "moving it around"...get the transom done and installed and mount the engine...

yardbird

#27 Post by yardbird » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:05 am

[quote="Retired OG"]Why not just start the process of mounting it? Quit worrying about "moving it around"...get the transom done and installed and mount the engine...[/quote]

That would be the ideal situation. The only real advantage to leaving it in the garage for the winter is that it will be in the garage. :)
The boat will be stored outside all winter. If I get the transom done, I would be fine with hanging the motor. Wouldn't even have to winterize it since the only fluid in it is the gearcase oil. Just cover it. It's likely going to spend the remainder of its life (or mine) outside anyways.

I'll get as far as the weather will let me, and finish it up in the spring. It would be nice to have everything basically in place and just do the console swap in the spring.

yardbird

#28 Post by yardbird » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:10 pm

Ok... well.. still about a week before I go get the new motor and probably about the same until I pull the boat out of the water.
But today I found a Clark Craft about 20 minutes away. I bought a 24x62 piece of 3/4 marine ply for $30. Bought an epoxy glue to laminate the 2 pieces together and epoxy to coat it when it's cut to fit.

The epoxy glue has a longer pot life so I get a little more working time to get it all clamped up tight. The guy said not to bother with trying to brush or roller it. "It will just pull the bristles out of the brush and pull all the nap off the roller."
He said he's had far better luck using a fine tooth notched trowel. In a pinch, even a hacksaw blade will work.

"Do the edges of the ply first with the epoxy. And keep applying it until it stops sucking it in. You'll know... it will keep a wet look to it."

Then when the edges cure, I go ahead and start putting coats of epoxy on the whole thing.

Now just gotta wait until I get the old transom off to make a template.