Drive on floating dock

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

blueskies

Re: Drive on floating dock

#16 Post by blueskies » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:06 am

Hey jediger,
Thank you for your informative post. I am puzzled, though, by your comment that you never use the wench. How do you get the boat so far up on the jetdock? I have a friend who has a similar jetdock and his 70 hp engine will only drive his 22' pontoon boat about half way onto the dock. He has to wench the boat the rest of the way. Also, he has to use the wench to launch the boat.

As far as cost, I priced them and the jetdock will cost somewhere between $10k and $15k installed.

jediger

#17 Post by jediger » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:44 am

We power it up no problem. The biggest challenges are getting it lined up on approach and keeping it straight on the dock during the boarding process. The guide bunks help it still takes some finesse. Taking it off the can usually be managed just by motor. Occasionally need to move someone to the stern or give it a shove from the bow.

Does your friends entry submerge and inflate or is it static?
Pinawa Bay, Manitoba
2014 Premier Cast-a-way 231, PTX; 2014 Evinrude 250HO ETEC

OK Toon

#18 Post by OK Toon » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:54 pm

jediger, that's an interesting looking setup. I've seen those used for v-hull boats but never for pontoons. I guess once the motor can get the boat moving back a little to launch, the floats just submerge and make it easy to continue launching???
Kim and Steve
2003 Lowe Suncruiser Trinidad 222
2003 Yamaha 90hp 4-stroke
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7
Spend most of our time on Lake Eufaula

jediger

#19 Post by jediger » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:38 pm

[quote="OK Toon"]jediger, that's an interesting looking setup. I've seen those used for v-hull boats but never for pontoons. I guess once the motor can get the boat moving back a little to launch, the floats just submerge and make it easy to continue launching???[/quote]

The cubes on the sternward third of the dock have all been drilled to compromise bouyancy. Instead there are two air chambers underneath with a pump and valve system that lets you sink and raise it. To launch, open the valves and the back of the dock sinks into the water just like boat trailer. Power off and on the same way. To take the boat out of the water, just refill the air chambers.

Unfortunately, like a boat trailer, this gets a little more challenging with certain water and wind conditions. Usually just dock at the regular dock and wait till evening to put the boat away then though.

http://www.jetdock.com/products/24ft-28 ... -docks.asp
Pinawa Bay, Manitoba

jserr68594

#20 Post by jserr68594 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:45 pm

Here is my Hydrohoist lift:
Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (273.56 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
11.jpg
11.jpg (83.02 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (288.65 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (251.83 KiB) Viewed 1933 times

jediger

#21 Post by jediger » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:40 pm

I really like that set up too. Unfortunately, our river bottom was too shallow at points near the dock to accomodate something like that. Looks like it works a treat though.
Pinawa Bay, Manitoba

OK Toon

#22 Post by OK Toon » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:07 am

[quote="jediger"]
The cubes on the sternward third of the dock have all been drilled to compromise bouyancy. Instead there are two air chambers underneath with a pump and valve system that lets you sink and raise it. To launch, open the valves and the back of the dock sinks into the water just like boat trailer. Power off and on the same way. To take the boat out of the water, just refill the air chambers.

Unfortunately, like a boat trailer, this gets a little more challenging with certain water and wind conditions. Usually just dock at the regular dock and wait till evening to put the boat away then though.

http://www.jetdock.com/products/24ft-28 ... -docks.asp[/quote]

I didn't realize the cubes had air chambers that you could let air out or blow it back up. That would make it more convenient. I have a very old HydroHoist boat lift (Model A) that they don't sell anymore. It scares everyone when I lower or lift the boat because the only inlet on the bottom-side of the tanks is at the back end. So it doesn't raise or lower the boat level - the stern is usually a lot lower which scares everyone when they watch it. Once the 2 tanks are completely filled, it sits closer to being level.
Kim and Steve
2003 Lowe Suncruiser Trinidad 222
2003 Yamaha 90hp 4-stroke
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7
Spend most of our time on Lake Eufaula