Water problem?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

boocat

Water problem?

#1 Post by boocat » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:43 pm

I think I'm having.. So, has anybody mounted one of those aftermarket filter/separators with the drain-able clear sight bowl on bottom? Like maybe a seasence or raycor? Looks like plenty of room in the motor pod.

Rick McC.

Re: Water problem?

#2 Post by Rick McC. » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:46 pm

I've had the Raycor setup in several boats over the years; they work very well!

That said, I wouldn't mount one in the motor pod.

Mine have always been mounted inside the boat, somewhere around the gas tank.

I had one Crest pontoon boat years ago that had the fuel tank in the motor pod; certainly not my favorite location for a fuel tank.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#3 Post by lakerunner » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:52 pm

Mine is located on the rear at the transom. I really like to see if water is present
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

boocat

#4 Post by boocat » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:44 am

ok, ordered a Racor 120 with the clear site bowl last night. It is one of the smaller versions which should help with mounting options but still way better than the stock motor mounted filter. Took delivery of a new bass buggy around last February and the first thing I did was put maybe 20 gals in it. Have made numerous trip in it and have added 2 or 3 gals of gas here and there but the thing just doesn't burn any gas. Took it out last week after sitting for 2 months, ran ok at first, I could hit my max rpm 5850 @ 22.2 mph, then fished for awhile. On the way back I pushed up to around 4500 and the thing would just stutter and stumble and miss. Pulled back to 3900 and all went well,
tried 4000,, no way.

Pulled the factory site bowl ( merc 60 ct ) and the gas looked cloudy and had maybe 1/2 cc water in bowl. I guess thats my problem. So now my plan is to replace factory filter, install racor and pump the tank, start over, I'm thinking I will only keep 3 or 4 gals of gas in the tank for trips with a 2 gal can for backup. I know the old school rule is to keep tank full but in my opinion 32 gals of gas wouldn't work at all not to mention all that weight.. I think the tank is just too darn big for what that little motor burns. And I did also have all the apprpriate fuel additives recommended by merc.