trim issue

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ROLAND

trim issue

#1 Post by ROLAND » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:19 pm

Hey guys, took the boat out to the lake... before I backed down the launch, i stepped back to the engine and trimmed it up a bit as that is a fairly steep launch... then I backed the boat down into the water and fired her up.. no problem, til I tried to use my trim.. nothing happened, didn't work at the throttle or back on the engine itself.. checked all the connections I could see, nothing appears out of line.. new battery, one season old and the yamaha fired right up when I turned the key.. checked for an in line fuse, didn't find one... I do know whenever I tried to use the trim switch I could hear a clicking sound.. kinda like a relay.. Makes me think the solenoid is bad. but would a solenoid go bad all at once.. after all I did trim the motor up at the launch... 2 minutes later, nothing. If it is the solenoid, is it hard to replace on a yamaha 75 4 stroke? Your thoughts on what the problem could be.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

mgarvie

Re: trim issue

#2 Post by mgarvie » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:32 am

It may be the trim motor. The trim motor on my Yamaha 60hp went out this year. There is a youtube video to show you how to test it. It's an easy fix and I got a new motor on Amazon for around $70.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nptI3iuqkw

ROLAND

Re: trim issue

#3 Post by ROLAND » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:09 pm

[quote="mgarvie"]It may be the trim motor. The trim motor on my Yamaha 60hp went out this year. There is a youtube video to show you how to test it. It's an easy fix and I got a new motor on Amazon for around $70.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nptI3iuqkw[/quote]

Thank you mgarvie.. I appreciate it...
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana