Old Snaps / Unused Snaps

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

newb1

Old Snaps / Unused Snaps

#1 Post by newb1 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:34 am

So I have a question - what does everyone do for unused snaps? Lets say you get a new cover or enclosure and you need to move/relocate snaps. How is everyone doing this?

I am trying to move, remove, relocate snaps to clean up the look of my fence and don't want the fence to look like swiss cheese.
2000 24' Tracker Signature Series Fishing Barge
2001 140hp Johnson/BRP Outboard
I'm not crazy. My doctor says that the other me is a figment of my imagination and the pills will help keep him quiet.

guy48065

Re: Old Snaps / Unused Snaps

#2 Post by guy48065 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:36 am

I have a few extra holes in the rails and will probably use a countersink to level it and then fill with silver RTV.
I haven't tried this on a boat but on my aluminum trailer the holes pretty much disappear.
Mark
1996 Sweetwater 180EX + Johnson 40
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI

Bryden24shp

#3 Post by Bryden24shp » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:14 am

When I removed mine, I just put S/S screws in the holes. Looked fine, no one ever noticed or asked why they were there.
Owner-EzFender Boat Products
Members, visit your discount page at:
http://www.ezfender.com/PontoonForums-M ... -Page.html

Steve7

#4 Post by Steve7 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:11 pm

More or less on topic, I just saw our new tritoon for the first time (hope to pick it up Wednesday), and was surprised that my cover did not have snaps. It had a plastic fastening system that clips to the top outer rail. It was easy to do, quick, and a much cleaner look. Hope the plastic clips hold up. When I reattached it after a quick PDI, I pulled the cover tight and they seemed to snap in place fine.
Steve & Sue (pups: Sky & Sierra)
2018 G3 SunCatcher V322FC Yamaha 150
Minn Kota Terrova 80 trolling motor
Grand Design tt Reflection 297RSTS
2016 Ford F250 6.7
Grizzly Flats, Ca

OCBray

#5 Post by OCBray » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:55 am

We have the same plastic clips on our Harris cover. They hold great and are easy to attach to the rail. One watch out is is making sure that the cover is centered when you start. If you are off by an inch or so about 3/4 down the side you will have one that lines up with a fence upright.

My only real complaint is when you are in the boat and rolling the cover back on and putting the puddle poles in place. You accidentally step on one of these with your bare foot. Think of it as stepping on a lego X 10. My sea winch gets a chuckle every time as I do the one legged hop and start singing my own made up rap song of profanity.

Bryden24shp

#6 Post by Bryden24shp » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:40 am

My Premier had the J clips, as well. Super easy and durable. Both Manitou's had the snaps, as well as all my other boats. My snap kit was always being used. My opinion, those J clips are awesome!
Owner-EzFender Boat Products
Members, visit your discount page at:
http://www.ezfender.com/PontoonForums-M ... -Page.html