Cleaning my seat covers

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

VVet69

Cleaning my seat covers

#1 Post by VVet69 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:27 pm

I need to thoroughly clean my snap-on pontoon seat covers this year, they are made of a good fabric similar to Sunbrella but not quite as thick. There are some signs of mildew on the underside of the covers. What is the best was to clean these before I apply 303 Fabric protection (never been applied before)? Can I just wash these in a large washing machine with detergent and bleach, or should I use something like OxyClean?

Thanks in advance!
---------------------------
Steve

2006 Fisher 221 DLX 3.0L MerCruiser I/O
Lake Murray
Prosperity, SC

BobL

Re: Cleaning my seat covers

#2 Post by BobL » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:56 pm

What is the name of the fabric? We have Sunbrella outdoor furniture and I told my wife when we washed it to stay away from bleach. So, I was going to say NO to any type of bleach but just googled sunbrella cleaning and saw this (by the way, bleach still scares me):

MOLD AND MILDEW STAINS

Sunbrella fabrics do not promote mildew growth, however, mildew may grow on dirt and other foreign substances if not removed from the fabric. To remove mold or mildew:

Prepare a solution of 1 cup of bleach and one fourth cup mild soap per gallon of water.

Spray on entire area and allow to soak into the fabric for 15 minutes.

Clean entire surface area with a sponge, clean towel or very soft bristle brush.

Rinse thoroughly to remove all soap residue.

Air dry.

CLEAING REMOVABLE FABRIC

Hand Washing
Soak fabric in a solution of one fourth cup mild soap per gallon of lukewarm water. Use a sponge or very soft bristle brush to lightly agitate the stain. Then rinse thoroughly to remove all soap residue, and allow fabric to air dry.

Machine washing
Some removable casings can be washed in the washing machine, however consult the furniture manufacturer before removing the casing as cushion construction may vary. To wash, first close all zippers. Machine wash in cold water on the delicate cycle with normal amounts of mild laundry detergent. For severe mold or mildew, add 1 cup of bleach. Allow fabric to air dry.

link = https://www.sunbrella.com/en-us/how-to- ... -upholster
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

steve1313

Re: Cleaning my seat covers

#3 Post by steve1313 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:56 am

Any reason you can't just throw them in a washing machine with some soap and maybe some bleach, too?
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia