mounting "through" pontoon rail

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

jediger

mounting "through" pontoon rail

#1 Post by jediger » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:34 am

Hi all,

I'm doing the winter dreaming and planning thing since I can't actually take the boat out right now. I'd like to add a Ram mount to my front rail so i could move my fishfinder up there at times. This is made slightly more complicated by Premier's paneled fencing.

I could drill through the fencing and use something like the picture attached to clamp around the fail, but I don't really want the upper bolt above the rail and interfering with the cover.

Considering the same mount, but drilling holes through the rail itself, (i.e. the bolts would go through the rail rather than around it) Would this significantly damage the integrity of the rail? Good idea or bad idea? I would do this on the side of the rail so that the ball protruded inwards rather than upwards again to lessen interference with the cover.

Thoughts from the collective wisdom of the group welcome!
Attachments
RAM-D-247U-2.jpg
RAM-D-247U-2.jpg (6.09 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
Pinawa Bay, Manitoba
2014 Premier Cast-a-way 231, PTX; 2014 Evinrude 250HO ETEC

steve1313

Re: mounting "through" pontoon rail

#2 Post by steve1313 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:31 am

I can't see how a couple of holes through the railing would have any effect on the integrity of the rail. Your mount would be essentially be clamping to the rail and perhaps even adding structure support in that small area. Sort of like sistering new joists onto either side of a weak joist to shore it up. Go for it!
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

Rick McC.

Re: mounting "through" pontoon rail

#3 Post by Rick McC. » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:02 pm

[quote="jediger"]Hi all,

I'm doing the winter dreaming and planning thing since I can't actually take the boat out right now. I'd like to add a Ram mount to my front rail so i could move my fishfinder up there at times. This is made slightly more complicated by Premier's paneled fencing.

I could drill through the fencing and use something like the picture attached to clamp around the fail, but I don't really want the upper bolt above the rail and interfering with the cover.

Considering the same mount, but drilling holes through the rail itself, (i.e. the bolts would go through the rail rather than around it) Would this significantly damage the integrity of the rail? Good idea or bad idea? I would do this on the side of the rail so that the ball protruded inwards rather than upwards again to lessen interference with the cover.

Thoughts from the collective wisdom of the group welcome![/quote]

Shouldn't be a problem.

I’ve been drilling holes through rails for years on boats to mount various things with no ill effects.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.