ST Tires

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ROLAND

ST Tires

#1 Post by ROLAND » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:12 am

well we washed the boat, scrubbed the deck, put 303 on the seats and put the boat in a indoor storage facility for the winter... while I was blocking the tires I got to noticing that the tread was just a bit worn... I thought that's strange, these tires are only 2 years or so old.... when I got home I checked my records and turns out this finishes 5 years with next year being the 6th season... where the hell did those other 3 years go.. anyway, I seem to remember some of you guys saying that Maxxis ( think that's what you called them ) were pretty good trailer tires. Don't mean to show my ignorance, but I've never heard of Maxxis... is that a brand or a name of a tire manufactured by another company... also, any recommendations are appreciated.. I currently have Kenda load star tires on there and they've been pretty good, but would like to go to an american made tire if possible. I believe my tire size is ST175 / 80R / 13 Load D. Thanks guys.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

boocat

Re: ST Tires

#2 Post by boocat » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:17 am

Through all my years of travel trailering and reading related forums, Maxxis was always considered about the best, but now there seems to be a new kid on the block. Goodyear Endurance is supposed to be a huge improvement in st tire quality and performance. Worth a look.

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#3 Post by lakerunner » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:38 am

[quote="boocat"]Through all my years of travel trailering and reading related forums, Maxxis was always considered about the best, but now there seems to be a new kid on the block. Goodyear Endurance is supposed to be a huge improvement in st tire quality and performance. Worth a look.[/quote]

Endurance doesn't make a 13. Another topic here found that out
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

Steve7

#4 Post by Steve7 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:14 am

My new boat trailer came with bias ply tires with a max speed of 55 mph. I will be driving long distances, so that won’t work. I’ll be replacing with either Maxxis or Carlisle HD, unless Goodyear Endurance is made in 13”. I think they may not be though, as Loyd stated. Both Maxxis and Carlisle HD (HD is the best model supposedly, have a good reputation.
Steve & Sue (pups: Sky & Sierra)
2018 G3 SunCatcher V322FC Yamaha 150
Minn Kota Terrova 80 trolling motor
Grand Design tt Reflection 297RSTS
2016 Ford F250 6.7
Grizzly Flats, Ca

boocat

#5 Post by boocat » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:05 pm

The Carlisle looks promising. I guess the ST folks finally got the hint and started trying a little harder. Travel trailer forums are full of horror stories. I personally had a failure for no good reason, low miles, recommended pressure and speed. Still had a blow out.

Bamaman

#6 Post by Bamaman » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:08 pm

The NHTSA should be ashamed of themselves for not requiring better ST tires out of tire manufacturers. Unfortunately, only Maxxis (Korean) and Goodyear Endurance (US) are the only AT tires not made in China. There are millions and millions of crap tires running the roads or North America on boats, recreational vehicles, utility, stock and horse trailers.

Go with the Maxxis tires and you will be satisfied. All the other 13 inch tires of all brands available are Chinese junk.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

ROLAND

#7 Post by ROLAND » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:01 am

Thanks guys... I appreciate it.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

ROLAND

#8 Post by ROLAND » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:00 am

by the way guys, thought I'd throw this in.. one other possible tire to consider is the Kenda Load Star. When my "trail america " tire blew out I was having a heck of a time finding a decent ST tire.. came across the kenda load star... not sure where it's made, may even be a china product, but it did get a lot of good reviews... I've had them on my trailer for 5 years and so far no issues... Even though I've had no issues I think I'm still going to try either the Maxxis or Carlisle tires.. ( Lloyd is right, Goodyear Endurance doesn't come in a 13.).. Just thought I'd mention the Kenda as another option...
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana