OCTANE

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ROLAND

OCTANE

#1 Post by ROLAND » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:15 am

Quick question for you guys... I've been buying the gas for my boat at a small station here in town that sells ethanol free gas. In the past I've noticed the octane rating was 93.. Yamaha ran fine on it and I've never given it another thought.. then tonight I was looking at the pure gas web site and somebody updated the site, saying the octane rating on thier ethanol free fuel is now 99 octane. I noticed the station had a new owner because the sign changed a few weeks back.. I'll have to drive thru there this week and check the pump.. but my question is, if in fact it is a 99 octane, will it hurt to run that in my boat?
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

Drago

Re: OCTANE

#2 Post by Drago » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:39 am

I can't answer your question on 99 octane fuel but if you go through a lot of fuel, why not use ethanol laced gas. There are all sorts of treatments and add-ons for ethanol fuel and all the new (10+ years) motors and fuel lines handle it. I think my book states a minimum octane but not a max. I've used nothing but regular gas from mostly street pumps (a nearby marina is connected to a McDonalds). When knowing there will be long periods of little or non use, I treat with Stabil Marine. Also, our Bennington has a big 10 micron water separator filter.

Found this......
http://www.hioctanefuel.com/faq.html
Kenneth & Joy
Lake Conroe, Texas
2007 Bennington 2577RFSi
2006 Yamaha F225
Solas 14.25x17SS prop
Best ever top speed 69.2KPH

boocat

#3 Post by boocat » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:18 am

Wanting to know the same. I know a little basics, low octane = blown engine. A little higher octane is ok but just how high is too high? Also see alot of what seems like legit reference to gas losing octane like a coke loses fiz. Concerns me a little, I just don't use gas fast enough. So using like a 89 instead of 87 would be a simple fix for that. my local non ethanol is only 86. Not going to even try that. Thought of trying octane additive but nowhere do any of them state that x amount of additive per gal raises octane by x amount. Am going try and get my tank empty and start over using smaller amounts.

vlxerdon

#4 Post by vlxerdon » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:34 am

A higher octane will not hurt your engine. It does take a very high compression motor to burn high octane. Using it in a motor rated for 87 octane will just not burn it efficiently. To use a higher than rated for your motor will only cost more money per M.P.G.
1994 Starcraft Stardeck 200
1998 Johnson 90HP
1995 Calkins tandem axle trailer

04 4.0 liter SOHC Ford Explorer
98 5.9 V8 Magnum Dodge Ram

ROLAND

#5 Post by ROLAND » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:09 pm

[quote="Drago"]I can't answer your question on 99 octane fuel but if you go through a lot of fuel, why not use ethanol laced gas. There are all sorts of treatments and add-ons for ethanol fuel and all the new (10+ years) motors and fuel lines handle it. I think my book states a minimum octane but not a max. I've used nothing but regular gas from mostly street pumps (a nearby marina is connected to a McDonalds). When knowing there will be long periods of little or non use, I treat with Stabil Marine. Also, our Bennington has a big 10 micron water separator filter.

Found this......
http://www.hioctanefuel.com/faq.html[/quote]

Yes sir, I'm aware of the ethanol treatments, but I've always had the mind set of "if I don't put ethanol gas in my tank, then I don't have anything to worry about"... The place where I used to buy my e-free gas was a 93 octane which didn't worry me at all... Now it's advertised as 99 which is why I asked if that was too high.. and if it is, there is another station ( a little out of the way ) that also sells ethanol free in a 91 octane.. so I'll be good either way, was just curious. but thanks for the information. I appreciate it.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana