Need Opinion/Solution

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ralph

Need Opinion/Solution

#1 Post by ralph » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:22 am

I'll set the stage.

I will retire at the end of November this year. Soon after, I will have my left knee replaced. I am told that I will not be allowed to kneel on my left knee for the rest of my life.

I have to assume that there are others on the forum that have had this done. I am wondering how I am going to be able to put the playpen cover on my pontoon without crawling underneath it to put up the poles that hold up the centerline of the cover.

Presently, I will put the cover on and then once complete, I crawl through the portside gate to put the poles up. I'll not be able to do this next season.

A little more information;

. I am docked in a marina each season (floating dock)
. I have a 20' Sweetwater pontoon
. I have the standard half bimini top (canvas) and no side curtains
. The gates are one portside, one at the bow, and one aft.

Is there anyone out there who had the same dilemma? What do you do now to put your cover on?
2015 Sweetwater 2086 Coastal Edition - All Toon'd Up
2015 90 HP Yamaha
Mid American Dual Wheel Bunk Trailer
2017 4WD GMC Canyon

steve1313

Re: Need Opinion/Solution

#2 Post by steve1313 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:53 am

My mother had double knee replacement surgery years ago, and I don't remember her ever saying anything about not being able to kneel. She went to Catholic church every Sunday and I know she still kneeled.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#3 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:34 am

I start in the back and unfurl my cover walking FWD putting the poles in as I go, every few feet I reach over the side and catch a snap, then exit the front gate, then walk around and secure all the snaps. but I'm not in a slip...
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

Gonefishing

#4 Post by Gonefishing » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:49 am

Know a few friends who have had replacements they kneel. I am going to have it done later this year doctor hasn’t said anything about not being able to kneel. But since I have an artificial leg so what I do is as I am covering the boat I place the polls. Then when I get to the last one which is in the front I just reach in through the front gate while bending over and standing the the front of the deck. Place the poll and then once on the deck I snap the front down.
Bob Jacksonville, Nc

2013 Excursion X23 RFC
2013 115 Yamaha
Pulled with a Ford King Ranch

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#5 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:07 pm

[quote="Gonefishing"]Know a few friends who have had replacements they kneel. I am going to have it done later this year doctor hasn’t said anything about not being able to kneel. But since I have an artificial leg so what I do is as I am covering the boat I place the polls. Then when I get to the last one which is in the front I just reach in through the front gate while bending over and standing the the front of the deck. Place the poll and then once on the deck I snap the front down.[/quote]

Coincidence, same boats same methods.. :thumbsup
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

ralph

#6 Post by ralph » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:43 pm

Thanks everyone. I'll follow these tips and figure this out when the time comes.

A couple of friends told me about the kneeling. I guess I'll wait for the Doctor on that one. Many thanks again.
2015 90 HP Yamaha
2017 4WD GMC Canyon

urbnsr

#7 Post by urbnsr » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:02 pm

[quote="FLOUNDERPOUNDER225"]I start in the back and unfurl my cover walking FWD putting the poles in as I go, every few feet I reach over the side and catch a snap, then exit the front gate, then walk around and secure all the snaps. but I'm not in a slip...[/quote]

I also use this method. I do hit all snaps as I go as I can't get to one side from the outside.
Paul

Gonefishing

#8 Post by Gonefishing » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:12 am

[quote="FLOUNDERPOUNDER225"][quote="Gonefishing"]Know a few friends who have had replacements they kneel. I am going to have it done later this year doctor hasn’t said anything about not being able to kneel. But since I have an artificial leg so what I do is as I am covering the boat I place the polls. Then when I get to the last one which is in the front I just reach in through the front gate while bending over and standing the the front of the deck. Place the poll and then once on the deck I snap the front down.[/quote]

Coincidence, same boats same methods.. :thumbsup[/quote]

Yep it’s a great Boat isn’t it.
Bob Jacksonville, Nc

2013 Excursion X23 RFC
2013 115 Yamaha
Pulled with a Ford King Ranch

mrlouis

#9 Post by mrlouis » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:49 am

I had both knees totally replaced same day five years ago, I was also told to avoid kneeling , I can kneel on the seat without discomfort or any very soft surfaces but if I kneel on the carpet it is uncomfortable so after I have the cover all snapped in I go back in via side gate and shimmy on my butt to get in then get up to put the poles in , don't worry you will adjust

Soonertoon

#10 Post by Soonertoon » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:57 am

If I read this correctly , the boat is in a slip at a marina. If the slip is a covered slip, then other than end of season lock down, I wouldnt worry about the poles being in place every time you cover it up. Ive got mine in a covered slip and I don't screw with the poles until its time to seal her up for the winter. Of course we are usually on the boat most every weekend. In the rare case where a storm comes thru and some water collects in the middle, its not too much hassle to drain it off. Those damned poles are pain in the ass .
You can put the poles in without having to get under it. Connect the cover at the bow. Roll cover towards the stern and insert a pole at the locations as you roll it back. As long as you keep some tension on the cover the poles should stay standing upright.
Broken Arrow Ok
2014 G3 Suncatcher
115 Yamaha 4 stroke
Paradise Cove Marina on Ft. Gibson Lake

BobL

#11 Post by BobL » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:06 pm

Not sure if this has been posted here or not...and imagine it is not cheap. This is a cover, full bimini, and half bimini and works with a push of a button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJqHKeDsRrQ
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

ralph

#12 Post by ralph » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:25 am

[quote="BobL"]Not sure if this has been posted here or not...and imagine it is not cheap. This is a cover, full bimini, and half bimini and works with a push of a button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJqHKeDsRrQ[/quote]

I have looked into this Bob and thanks for posting. I actually pass this place (Devils Lake Water Sports) in Michigan in my travels for work. They have a pontoon out front on display with this cover and it looks pretty cool.

They advertise that this will only fit Crest Pontoons (they are a Crest dealer). However they say to call to ask about other makes and models. I think I'll give them a call to see what they say. I'm sure it'll be expensive but it would do the trick for sure.

I wonder if it can be used over the winter with snow and all. Not sure if it could handle the weight. Worth looking into though.
2015 90 HP Yamaha
2017 4WD GMC Canyon

ralph

#13 Post by ralph » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:27 am

[quote="Soonertoon"]If I read this correctly , the boat is in a slip at a marina. If the slip is a covered slip, then other than end of season lock down, I wouldnt worry about the poles being in place every time you cover it up. Ive got mine in a covered slip and I don't screw with the poles until its time to seal her up for the winter. Of course we are usually on the boat most every weekend. In the rare case where a storm comes thru and some water collects in the middle, its not too much hassle to drain it off. Those damned poles are pain in the ass .
You can put the poles in without having to get under it. Connect the cover at the bow. Roll cover towards the stern and insert a pole at the locations as you roll it back. As long as you keep some tension on the cover the poles should stay standing upright.[/quote]

It's just a regular marina Sooner. No covered slips. I think your suggestion working from front to back or even the opposite way will be what I have to do.
2015 90 HP Yamaha
2017 4WD GMC Canyon

ralph

#14 Post by ralph » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:28 am

[quote="mrlouis"]I had both knees totally replaced same day five years ago, I was also told to avoid kneeling , I can kneel on the seat without discomfort or any very soft surfaces but if I kneel on the carpet it is uncomfortable so after I have the cover all snapped in I go back in via side gate and shimmy on my butt to get in then get up to put the poles in , don't worry you will adjust[/quote]

I may have to do the "shimmy-shake! We all figure things out in the end.
2015 90 HP Yamaha
2017 4WD GMC Canyon

OK Toon

#15 Post by OK Toon » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:17 am

[quote="Soonertoon"]If I read this correctly , the boat is in a slip at a marina. If the slip is a covered slip, then other than end of season lock down, I wouldnt worry about the poles being in place every time you cover it up. Ive got mine in a covered slip and I don't screw with the poles until its time to seal her up for the winter. Of course we are usually on the boat most every weekend. In the rare case where a storm comes thru and some water collects in the middle, its not too much hassle to drain it off. Those damned poles are pain in the ass .
You can put the poles in without having to get under it. Connect the cover at the bow. Roll cover towards the stern and insert a pole at the locations as you roll it back. As long as you keep some tension on the cover the poles should stay standing upright.[/quote]

We leave our pontoon on the lift in our dock all year. We put the cover on every weekend, but we never put the poles under it. I wouldn't even put the cover on it since it's protected from the weather for the most part. But if we don't put the cover on, then we get spider poop all over the seats -- and that crap stains the seats horribly.
Kim and Steve
2003 Lowe Suncruiser Trinidad 222
2003 Yamaha 90hp 4-stroke
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7
Spend most of our time on Lake Eufaula