Update- 1 more question-Hello, and please help me decide...

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Wreck Tangle

Re: First post--Hello, and please help me decide on a 'toon!

#16 Post by Wreck Tangle » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:42 pm

If you're gonna keep it long term...make sure you get what you want.
I also agree with the dealer being with in a reasonable driving distance.

An hour doesnt seem bad at all.

I would think twice about getting something with the fishing seats.
You're gonna have your kids and their friends out tubing and what not.

Those seats will take up valuable floor space that could be better served as bench seating and the storage that goes with it.
You'll need to stow that tube of yours somewhere...

To that end...dont forget the tow bar...

I also do not regret upgrading to a stainless steel trailer.

NonHyphenAmerican

#17 Post by NonHyphenAmerican » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:01 pm

See if you have a "SunCatcher" Dealer. Built by Yamaha, with a Yamaha Outboard.

I'm guessing they'd have one of what you want and so far I've had good luck with mine.

Just as a possible.........

http://www.suncatcherpontoons.com/x22-rf-x322-rf
[color=#FF0000][b]22' G3 SunCatcher V22F
Yamaha F-90
Tooning on El Dorado Reservoir[/b][/color]

dogcaller

#18 Post by dogcaller » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:55 pm

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate all of your input. I did look at Suncatcher. There’s only one dealer around, and it’s a pretty small operation. Everything I can find about him indicates a pretty negative reputation. There is a Bennington dealer within reach, but those pretty boats bust the budget. For some reason ai keep coming back to the Manitou. It feels like the riskiest, but also potentially the best value. A top tier boat for essentially the same price as a Sun Tracker. But... I haven’t seen the boat except for pictures—no nearby dealer—2-stroke motor. I’m happy to stand corrected about my preconceived notion about 2-strokes. I do know that a quiet engine, no smoke/smell, and steady, low-speed cruising or even trolling are more important than hole-shot stats. Would someone please just tell me it’s a crazy bad idea so I can stop thinking about it?! BTW, I called Manitou HQ and a guy told me they could probably work something out with my local dealer for warranty work, if needed. I’m a bit skeptical, but there you have it.

Funny thing about this is that, 6 weeks ago if I came home to find that my wife had surprised me by buying the Tracker I’ve been thinking of, I would have been over-the-moon excited! Now it feels like I’m settling for the most practical choice. I obviously don’t have much to complain about in my life, with these sorts of dilemmas!

I think that’s good advice on the rear-fish. I can definitely make do, and I like having a “sun deck” for my wife and others to relax on.

I can find engine maintenance schedules easily. How often does a boat typically need to go to dealer for warranty work, or is that like trying to predict an earthquake?

Bamaman

#19 Post by Bamaman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:58 pm

Of the three boats, I rank them Manitou, Suntracker and Landau in that order.

My question is whether the Manitou ETEC is one of the old generation HO models or one of the new generation Evinrudes they call a G2? The new model Evinrude 150 hp runs with other manufacturers' 200 hp 4 strokes. They are efficient, require almost no servicing and come with a very long warrranty. I would go with it. If the motor is the old generation ETEC HO, I would prefer a 4 stroke. The Manitou is first class and they throw in a bunch of freebies like the $1k in toon storage for free at Fall Order Writing dealer meeting.

Otherwise, the Sun Tracker will do you a great job with a dealer relatively close by.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

Nate

#20 Post by Nate » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:58 am

Take a look at https://www.qwestpontoons.com

I picked one up two years very similar to what you described. I paid a little more but had some upgrades you could skip and likely get close to your budget.

We can’t wait for season three to begin.

Nate
Apex Qwest LS 822 RLS with two foot extension, triple toon, and Mercury 150

Wreck Tangle

#21 Post by Wreck Tangle » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:35 am

Maybe if you told us what lake you're near, we could look at marinas and see whats available

dogcaller

#22 Post by dogcaller » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:00 pm

[quote="Wreck Tangle"]Maybe if you told us what lake you're near, we could look at marinas and see whats available[/quote/]

Closest to Horsetooth Resrvoir and Carter Lake, both in Larimer County.

I stopped by the dealer which sells Benningtons, mainly to talk more about 2/4 strokes, since they sell Evinrude and others. Can’t come close to a Benny in my price range (no surprise-didn’t expect to), but he was bullish on the 2-stroke and said he’d jump on the Manitou deal, of the 3 options I currently have.

willy13

#23 Post by willy13 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:27 am

I 2nd Bamaman question, is the Evinrude 150 a G1 or G2? If its a G2, then thats an amazing deal. The G2's are expensive outboards. The only advantage a G1 has over a G2 is the weight. The small block (150hp) G2 are a lot heavier than the small block(150hp) G1. The small block(150hp) G2 are heavier than most 4-strokes even when you take into account the on engine hydraulic steering.

dogcaller

#24 Post by dogcaller » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:24 pm

It’s a G1

willy13

#25 Post by willy13 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:06 pm

The G1 are still greater motors, I am actually tempted to look for a small block 200hp G1 before they are non existent new. Evinrude discontinued the 200hp in 2017 but not the 150hp (same block). Make sure you have an Evinrude dealer near by that can service it if you need warranty work done.

The main thing I really like about the G2 that is not on the G1 is an on engine oil tank.

BobL

#26 Post by BobL » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:06 pm

Dog Caller....

I did a quick search and one of Forest River's brand is called Trifecta. Forest River is a Berkshire Hathaway (Warren Buffet) and they also make South Bay and used to make Xcursion (they sold Xcursion to the owners of Coach). Anyway, I have owned South Bay and now own Xcursion and have had zero problems with either one (did have a minor problem with the Mercury engine but it was covered under warranty).

There is a Trifecta dealer (Horizon Boast of Colorado) in Sterling CO which looks to be pretty close to you.

It looks like they have some in stock. One of their in stock boats fits your description but is out of your price range but not sure if the prices listed are MSRP.

May not hurt to at least give them a call.

https://www.horizonmotorsportscolorado. ... -inventory
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

dogcaller

#27 Post by dogcaller » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:28 pm

Thanks, BobL, those are nice looking boats, and get good reviews. I’ll give them a call, just for grins—see what their actual price is. I did go ahead and put a refundable deposit on the Manitou. Basically it gives me first right of refusal if someone comes in and wants to buy the boat before I pull the trigger. We’ll be headed down to Look at the boat and go on a test ride the first weekend in March. If it all goes as expected, we’ll buy it and move to Phase 2 of the boating life —>actually being a boat owner!

We don’t have nearly the competition for toons here that there seems to be in the south and Midwest... I really wish my local dealer would come down a bit and I could buy from them, but everyone’s got a right to do as they see fit for themselves, that’s for sure.

Retired OG

#28 Post by Retired OG » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:43 am

One thing you might want to consider is a GPS/fishfinder that has the capability to take "map cards" that show the contour lines of the lake bottom...over here in the Sierras, lake levels can fluctuate a great deal and if you're not careful, you can not only severely damage your "toons", but end up getting hurt or even killed...I don't know what your lakes are like, but ours are mainly for flood control/irrigation....by the end of summer, it's not unusual for them to be at 50% of capacity. Do your lakes ever have "islands" appear as the lake level drops???
1973 Kayot with 1972 Evinrude 50 hp Lark

dogcaller

#29 Post by dogcaller » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:08 am

Thanks for the tip, OG. I'll be boating primarily at a nearby reservoir (https://www.larimer.org/naturalresource ... -reservoir, and it definitely fluctuates as they release water in the summer. Anyone happen to know what a reasonable dealer installation cost is? The list of units/options seems pretty endless, but it appears like there is quite a difference when jumping from the ~$115 range to the ~$300 range... Is it typical to mount the transducer permanently? That seems to make the most sense, but I saw some that indicated it is for mounting on a trolling motor, which I do not have and am not sure if I will get.

Retired OG

#30 Post by Retired OG » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:35 am

I picked up a used Lowrance, Elite 5 DSI for $150 from a guy who was "Upgrading"....My situation is a little unique. I have an old Kayot with an aluminum hardtop, so I wanted a GPS unit that had a jack for an external antenna and a map card slot... I'm glad I did....prior to getting the "puck" antenna, my position here in the storage yard would vary by as much as 200 yds. Now, with the antenna mounted on top, it's spot on. As far as mounting??? I'd do it myself....but then again, I do most things on my own...which is why I'd "NEVER" buy a boat or vehicle "NEW".....as soon as you sign on the dotted line, you immediately lose a good percent of your investment.
1973 Kayot with 1972 Evinrude 50 hp Lark