Wire Gauge From Battery To New Fuse Block?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

urbnsr

Wire Gauge From Battery To New Fuse Block?

#1 Post by urbnsr » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:09 pm

I'm thinking about adding a second battery. With the best place for the batteries more toward the back, I would need to run a set of cables to the helm. I figure I would get the Blue Sea 12 circuit fuse block even though I wouldn't need near that many circuits now, but may need more in the future. That fuse block is capable of handling 100 amps total so I think that means I would need 2 gauge wire for the distance I need to run.

Does anyone here have a setup similar and did you also run similar gauge cables? And do you make sure the wire is marine grade or could any class cable work? This is simply a weekend get-a-way "porch" floating on water. No major, daily, use.

Thanks for any insight...
Paul

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

Re: Wire Gauge From Battery To New Fuse Block?

#2 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:03 am

Paul
If this fuse block is going to be for accessories, you don't need to run #2 wire, that is way over kill, that's for engine starting. I wired the same block on my previous 26' Center Console. The only thing that would anything close # 2 is your motor for cranking, and possibly a strong electric trolling motor, but that would even depend on the length of run of wire. I would probably run #8 or 6 at the most to the fuse block, you would be spending way too much $$ on wire for #2. Probably the best deal on marine tinned wire and also for your Blue seas fuse block is at genuinedealz.com they have great customer service, you can also get heat shrink terminals and butt splices, wire loom hangers and split loom to make the install clean.
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

willy13

#3 Post by willy13 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:32 pm

I agree with above. I only ran 10 ga, because everything I have hooked up is low draw. And now a days most lights are LED. A high powered stereo is the only other thing that would draw alot.

urbnsr

#4 Post by urbnsr » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:19 pm

Thanks for the replies. I am sure my current (and probably future) needs won't warrant 2ga wire. It would just be my luck that after running 6 or 8 gauge wire, I would find the need for larger current draw :-)

It denfinetly would be easier on the budget to go with something smaller than 2ga.

Thanks again...
Paul

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#5 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:31 am

2 is going to be a PIA to run also. Do 6 and you'll never have to worry about it. but make sure you use marine grade tinned wire and heat shrinkable butt connectors and ring terminals, dielectric grease on your terminals. I have rewired many boats and cut out wire nuts that you use in your house, from previous owners half ass installs. do it right the first time, and it will last a very long time without any issues.
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

urbnsr

#6 Post by urbnsr » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:13 am

Thanks for all the tips. I was looking at thin/many strand wire similar to wire used on welders thinking it would be flexible enough, but wasn't sure about termination fitting and the size of the fuse block posts.

I will go with the 6 gauge, marine spec'd wire and fittings. Thanks again!
Paul

JBO

#7 Post by JBO » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:42 pm

If it were me I'd probably go with 6-8ga:

http://www.genuinedealz.com/marine-wire
2017 Lowe SD224 w/ 150HP Mercury

urbnsr

#8 Post by urbnsr » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:07 pm

Thanks JBO. Great link info.
Paul