Pontoon Lift Quesion

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Zinnut

Pontoon Lift Quesion

#1 Post by Zinnut » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:54 pm

IMG_7757.jpeg
IMG_7757.jpeg (85.39 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
I have a 23' Premier PTX and my lift service company has advised me that there is some damage (flattening) to [img][img][img][/img][/img][/img]the rear of the two outside toons at the point where the rear cross beam is located. He says this cross beam is too far forward from the ear of the toons (4.5') and there is too much unsupported weight at the rear of the boat. Where should the cross beams be located referenced from the rear of the toons to properly support the weight of the boat on the lift?
Attachments
IMG_7758.jpeg
IMG_7758.jpeg (89.89 KiB) Viewed 1503 times

Bamaman

Re: Pontoon Lift Quesion

#2 Post by Bamaman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:12 pm

Pontoons and tritoons do not need to be supported sitting on two cross braces. They need to be stored on a rack that essentially looks like a square wheelless trailer with bunks underneath the toons running lengthwise.

I made the same mistake when I used 6 inch wide nylon straps on my 1985 Starcraft pontoon. It too left some dents in the toons. The good news was that performance wasn't affected.

I purchased about $500 of 4 inch channel steel and some angle iron to make my 10' s 20' rack. I completely prefabricated the rack in my driveway drilling dozens and dozens of holes for grade 8 bolts. My boat is sitting on two 2x8s under each toon that are 20' long. I also fabricated carpeted guides on each side of the boat to guide my boat on the rack when docking.

I had no problem disassembling and reassembling the rack after sliding each piece of steel down a steep hill to my boathouse. It beat paying a tugboat with a barge and crane to install the rack--like my neighbors did.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

Zinnut

#3 Post by Zinnut » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:54 am

My lift is not sitting on the crossbeams. There are flatboards on top of the crossbeams running parallel with the toons. But those boards are sagging between the crossbeams and not doing any support along the length of the toons.

Bamaman

#4 Post by Bamaman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:31 am

Sounds like it the lengthwise boards are not properly supported if there are dents. Mine have cross braces every four feet.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150