Metal roof while in transit

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

bansil

Metal roof while in transit

#1 Post by bansil » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:27 am

I am getting conflicting info about keeping our hardtop up while transporting it to the lake

Lake is 20 min. away at 45 mph

I think it will be fine seems sturdy enough, no electrical wires or bridges to worry about
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

Bamaman

Re: Metal roof while in transit

#2 Post by Bamaman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:29 am

It would be okay
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

Retired OG

#3 Post by Retired OG » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:03 am

My old Kayot has a hard top too but I'm running a GPS antenna and electrical on it and I'm building it to make it a permanently upright top....I've noticed that the front of the hard top slopes forward a wee bit and the legs on the forward half are shorter....my current plan is to build benches/seats near the legs of the top for side rail support where the roof legs bolt up....I also want to run easily removed cables with eye hooks and small cable tensioners from each of the four corners of the roof, to the opposite sides for times it might be subject to high winds...I'm also going to run cables on the front and back....My advice would be to figure out a way to better strengthen and stabilize the roof against high wind. I could probably get away with doing it with rope, but for just a few more $ I can make it stronger and last forever.
1973 Kayot with 1972 Evinrude 50 hp Lark

bansil

#4 Post by bansil » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:50 am

Good to know, I need to measure ht first before I make it permanent so I know bridge clearance

If it is short enough (so I can leave roof up), I plan to tie it into a front extension so almost whole boat will be covered when needed

I need to start a build...urgh..re-build thread
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com