Outfitting new tritoon

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Sailor Bill

Outfitting new tritoon

#1 Post by Sailor Bill » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:52 pm

Hello,
I am new to pontooning and have little experience with power boating. Looking for advice in outfitting our new (not yet received) Manitou Oasis Angler 22 with the full front. We have ordered it with the power arm bimini as I don't expect my wife (or maybe even myself) to singlehandedly be able to raise and lower the manual one every time we use the boat. It will be stored on a hoist with a canopy. The engine is an Evinrude gen2 E-tec 250 HP HO. I am thinking of a deck wash system but perhaps in a box that is portable versus a permanently mounted one. I see that Taylormade has two different pontoon fenders, one that hooks over the rail and another that hooks under the deck. Would appreciate any input regarding either of those or?? Since we do not have shorepower available I am considering lithium batteries for the Minn Kota trolling motor (80# 60" Terrova) which I will then have to remove and charge as needed. I am open to any suggestions and or critiques. Thank you.

Bamaman

Re: Outfitting new tritoon

#2 Post by Bamaman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:12 pm

You seem to be thinking right. No critiques coming.

With a 250 up G2, no other tritoon on the Lake will be able to run with you. Be sure to let us know your top speed GPS when you get it on the water. We will will Be interested.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

Kramfam

#3 Post by Kramfam » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:05 pm

I have had great success using this portable wash down pump:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Trac-Outdoor ... 8/34757631

I prefer to use flat fenders as well - much easier to store.
2014 Sylvan Mirage Cruise 8524
27" RPT tubes w/underskinning
2014 115hp Mercury 4 stroke
Previous: 2004 Four Winns 22' Horizon, 270hp

bansil

#4 Post by bansil » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:58 pm

only thing I can add is if we got together to make a back and forth run somewhere....

we will have food cooked and wine open when you come back on the return trip....Bonn appetite...we will be waiting with glasses ;)~

she sound like she will be a hotrod, a tri-toon with that power? add an extra fuel tank and head to Bimini...:mrgreen:

Welcome and have fun, post some pictures when you can
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

captain28570

#5 Post by captain28570 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:16 pm

Gesh that thing is going to fly lol. You getting the 23 outer toons or 25's? You have a choice. The Center is 27.

The guy I work with just ordered a 23 X-Plode XT SHP 575 Dual Engine. Its the fiberglass model. With twin 250 Verado's and joy stick control . 150 grand :shock:
2017 22 Manitou Aurora LE SHP Tritoon Evinrude G2 HO 150

Sailor Bill

#6 Post by Sailor Bill » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:44 am

Captain,
I am getting the 23". I started with a 150 HO then upped to the 250 HO which required the upgraded toons, then added the power bimini which cost extra and now I think I need to buy lithium batteries for the trolling motor as I don't have shore power available. When I started looking at boats I was down in the 30's and now am in the 50's for price not counting a new hoist. When I ponder that I have a boat that will go over 50 MPH and the recommended max speed for the bimini is 25 MPH, I start to wonder where my brain is leading me. I'll still need a lot of sunblock!

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#7 Post by lakerunner » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:12 am

I would use flat fenders along with "EZFENDERS" Made and sold by a forum member
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

OK Toon

#8 Post by OK Toon » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:16 am

Just curious how you will operate a lift without some sort of power. We used to have shore power, but a couple of years ago, I installed a solar powered setup and I couldn't be happier. I'm sure you will really enjoy your new boat -- looking forward to pics from your first outing.
Kim and Steve
2003 Lowe Suncruiser Trinidad 222
2003 Yamaha 90hp 4-stroke
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7
Spend most of our time on Lake Eufaula

Sailor Bill

#9 Post by Sailor Bill » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:02 am

I want to thank all of you for your well wishes and input. To answer the question, I have ordered a new Shore Station hoist with the hydraulic powered by a 12 volt battery and recharged with a solar panel. I may try to recharge the lithiums with solar but I'm on a steep learning curve. There are so many opinions on things (Try to sort out Humminbird versus Lowrance fish finders) and very few places where data driven info is available. Two of the four fenders we had on our sailboat were the flat type and they had their place but I would be concerned with them when rafting up to another boat and maybe not another pontoon at that.

Strake

#10 Post by Strake » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:19 pm

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new, pending boat !!!

I prefer round fenders. I keep 4 on board and use 2 of them with Pontoon Rails Fender Adjusters that I bought online at Overton's as a 4 pack. You preset the length of line from each fender. The other 2 fenders I use and tie on to the fore and aft cleat when tying up to a floating dock that gets lots of boat action nearby, such as at a restaurant.

I've got 2 that are 6.5" dia X 23" and 2 that are 5.5" dia X 20". Work perfectly for me.
"Strake"
Richard and Angie
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
2015 Berkshire 233 RFX STS
Yamaha F200 LB