How do you deal with water in one of your pontoons

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Bugsbunnyboater

How do you deal with water in one of your pontoons

#1 Post by Bugsbunnyboater » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:21 pm

I thought I was finished with my pontoon until I realized there was water sloshing in my starboard pontoon.
Now I need to know what other have done to fix theirs. I am sure the hole came during hurricane Harvey
She came off the trailer rose up and smashed the Bimini and windshield in the storage unit it was in.
So as it landed back on the trailer I guess the hole came.
So how do I fix it. :scared

Bamaman

Re: How do you deal with water in one of your pontoons

#2 Post by Bamaman » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:46 pm

You first have to figure out where the leak is. Closely look for cuts and places there might be a leak. if you cannot spot the leak, you will need to find the plug--usually on top of the toon where you can inject a light air pressure like with a vacuum. Then go over all welds and seams with soapy water looking for bubbles.

Once you find the leak, have it Tig welded and sealed. Some people even use JB Weld to seal small leaks if just temporarily.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

bansil

#3 Post by bansil » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:39 am

Dont go over 3lbs or so of air pressure
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

bayfred

#4 Post by bayfred » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:59 am

[quote="Bamaman"]You first have to figure out where the leak is. Closely look for cuts and places there might be a leak. if you cannot spot the leak, you will need to find the plug--usually on top of the toon where you can inject a light air pressure like with a vacuum. Then go over all welds and seams with soapy water looking for bubbles.

Once you find the leak, have it Tig welded and sealed. Some people even use JB Weld to seal small leaks if just temporarily.[/quote]

This is exactly right. Wish I had known all this a few months ago. Went through the same process with my '08 Benny. Was told that, even with normal usage, the original welds will begin to separate.
Fred and Tricia Jones
Fowl River, AL
2008 Bennington 2275RL Tritoon
2005 Yamaha 150