Tired of doing 20 mph

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Vasbyt45

Tired of doing 20 mph

#1 Post by Vasbyt45 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:26 am

We’re in the market for a new pontoon. I’m quite familiar with some of the brands out there. Just not all the models they offer. Choosing from so many brands and floor plans etc can be tiring to say the least. Currently we own a 2016 Bennington 20 SX with a 90 Yamaha & now we’re looking for a similar classic style boat in the 23/24 Ft range with preferably a 300 on the back. There are things We like and also dislike about our Benne, so we’re open to other manufacturers. A rear facing or Swingback lounge would be nice. Nothing fishing related (although I do fish.... by myself sometimes lol). We get a lot of thunderstorms down here in Stuart Fl, and getting out of their way is important. I wouldn’t mind getting home quicker and passing some of these center consoles either. Not too keen on the real sporty (colorful) toons like some of the Manitou’s. I’ve seen a few blacked-out boats lately at the boat show which caught my eye.
My playground includes salt and rough water.
Any ideas and recommendations would be extremely helpful. Btw I’m new to the forum so thanks for having me. We love the toon life

ron nh

Re: Tired of doing 20 mph

#2 Post by ron nh » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:36 am

Every brand now offers a rear facing lounge model and almost every brand offers a black out package, so I think I would just start with the marinas closest to you and see what each has. You're obviously prepared to spend some serious cash with a 300, and the black out will be a couple thousand extra as well. I think all boats at that level will be pretty nice, You're probably talking from 65 to 100K, unless you buy a low end model that you can slap a 300HP on, but you don't see that very often.
2015 Qwest LS 818XRE Tri-toon w/mercury 115.

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#3 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:26 am

Born and raised in Ft. Pierce, joined Navy in 81, 22 yrs and retired in Pensacola, I know well the waters of both areas, I bring the tritoon down there sometimes around Thanksgiving for a Holiday visit. My last boat was a 26 Ft Aquasport CC and for the most part our Berkshire Tritoon handles the seas better in almost every case except the most nasty weather. 2 yeas ago at Tgiving, we went out Ft. Pierce Inlet and it was nasty, out to the south along the beach, CC's were getting their ass handed to them in the swells and short interval waves, we were hauling along at about 30 MPH never got the first spray. The tritoons handle so much differently than a regular pontoon, people don't even know until they've operated one. Here in the gulf the seas are always short interval 2-3 and that will pound you in a smaller mono-hull. go with a 24-25 Tritoon with at least a 150, my 24 with the F150 yami will just touch 40 on a good day, but easy cruise at 30 and 38 WOT all day. Forest River offers Southbay, Berkshire, Xcursion all with Salt Water Packages. My Berkshire quality is top notch, coming on 3 yrs and 325 hrs with no issues at all. others are probably very similar.
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

Reiner

#4 Post by Reiner » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:02 pm

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:26 am
Born and raised in Ft. Pierce, joined Navy in 81, 22 yrs and retired in Pensacola, I know well the waters of both areas, I bring the tritoon down there sometimes around Thanksgiving for a Holiday visit. My last boat was a 26 Ft Aquasport CC and for the most part our Berkshire Tritoon handles the seas better in almost every case except the most nasty weather. 2 yeas ago at Tgiving, we went out Ft. Pierce Inlet and it was nasty, out to the south along the beach, CC's were getting their ass handed to them in the swells and short interval waves, we were hauling along at about 30 MPH never got the first spray. The tritoons handle so much differently than a regular pontoon, people don't even know until they've operated one. Here in the gulf the seas are always short interval 2-3 and that will pound you in a smaller mono-hull. go with a 24-25 Tritoon with at least a 150, my 24 with the F150 yami will just touch 40 on a good day, but easy cruise at 30 and 38 WOT all day. Forest River offers Southbay, Berkshire, Xcursion all with Salt Water Packages. My Berkshire quality is top notch, coming on 3 yrs and 325 hrs with no issues at all. others are probably very similar.
That is what I'm thinking too. Not sure if you need a 300 (it would definitely be nice) to improve the ride. I would look more at boat length and tri-toon with full underskinning/strakes. I have a 22' Lowe SS210 RFL and have no trouble out in the Pacific with a 150HP Mercury. Same speed performance as "Flounderpounder". We do not have storms moving in, so that is a good thing. Mostly short spaced wind waves on certain days, the larger 3/4 foot swell is spaced longer and does not create problems. San Diego Bay can be worst on days with big cruiser waves coming from both sides.
Good Luck in your search!
2015 Lowe SS 210 RFL XL Package 150 HP Merc
"The Nina" or "The Bismarck" my buddy's call it!
2011 Tundra

rbtnt

#5 Post by rbtnt » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:18 pm

If you limit yourself to 250 HP you will have a lot more models to consider and will not be stuck with looking the more mostly the more expensive models. The manufactures seem to make you buy their top of the line models and lots of options when you get to their 300 HP and above models.
2020 Bennington 23 SSRXP Mercury 250 Pro XS
www.mtboats.com - Links to all types of powerboat resources

Vasbyt45

#6 Post by Vasbyt45 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:10 am

You’re right about motor sizing & we are not interested in a top of the line boat or the most expensive or luxurious anyways. We want a middle of the range type boat from a reputable Manufacturer. I’ve seen the Avalons and they are nice. Benington makes one too but their consoles are not water tight. I’ve lost 2 stereos from leaky cup holders & dashes that don’t drain or redirect water correctly. Keen to see what else is out there. Premiere pontoons seems to be a little more money than the others but still a good boat.

willy13

#7 Post by willy13 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:18 pm

For what ever reason some of the manufactures limit there "classic" line of tri-toon boats to 250hp. I wouldn't worry about it because these "classic" tri-toons are much lighter than these new fiberglass hybrids.

Strake

#8 Post by Strake » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:06 am

We also have a Berkshire Tri Toon. Very Happy with it, and the Yamaha F200. Our model has the rear facing loungers on both sides, as most manufacturers offer one like that. Our model will take up to a 300, however, I did a fair amount of research to find what was the most bang for the buck, both from an overall performance standpoint, fuel economy, top end, cruising, etc. In the end, the F200 was the best choice for me.

Anything OVER 150 hp, I would strongly suggest getting hydraulic power steering. We have it, and I can steer with 1 finger.

While we use ours on a fairly large lake, I can't comment on offshore usage. We have gone many times through some very close together 3 ft chop with out getting splashed, or feeling the need to throttle back at all.
"Strake"
Richard and Angie
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
2015 Berkshire 233 RFX STS
Yamaha F200 LB

Bamaman

#9 Post by Bamaman » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:46 am

Anyone willing to spend so much for a 300 hp motor should be willing to put it on a boat worthy of the investment. That much horsepower puts substantial stresses on the boat hull and structure, and a truly high performance hull stressed to handle the power is needed. I am talking Bennington, Manitou, Premier and Playcraft models specificallly. If you don't want ultra modern styling, more conservative fencing and seating can be ordered in high performance hulls. If you ever will trade it, plush seating is preferred on high horsepower, high performance boats.

Since you already have a Bennington, maybe your original dealer will be willing to put more in your trade in than other brand dealers. I would go Bennington.

The brand of engine is another hard decision. After last years' hurricanes as some manufacturers making factory changes, but outboards will be difficult to obtain this year. Throw the question out to The Hull Truth and ask a bunch of saltwater fishermen their opinions on big engines.

The budget way to big horsepower is to put a Mercury Verado 225 hp on the boat and have Simon Motorsports flash the ECU to 310 hp for $650. Simon's flash also comes with increased drivability.

Good luck on making some hard decisions.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

Drago

#10 Post by Drago » Thu May 03, 2018 11:32 am

If you might plan on doing a flash to an engine, stay away from the F225 Yammi. It can only be flashed up to about 245 or so says Simmons.
Kenneth & Joy
Lake Conroe, Texas
2007 Bennington 2577RFSi
2006 Yamaha F225
Solas 14.25x17SS prop
Best ever top speed 69.2KPH