Wishing I had a boat lift

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

mikeb33

Wishing I had a boat lift

#1 Post by mikeb33 » Mon May 28, 2018 4:36 pm

Second year on out SE Wisconsin lake. Our house is across the street from the water, but me and 3 others own a lot on the lake with a small dock we share. I'ts practically across the street from me so it's quite a good compromise. The dock we share has 3 pontoons and 1 ski boat.The toons all have to load from the front. It's ok but I really hate putting the big cover on every night(or almost everynight). I would really like a lift with a awning so at the end of the day, up it goes!
Most of the lifts I see you operate from the side where you board. Do they make one I can operate from the front? In the picture below, my boat goes int he empty spot. I have a 2008 Sweetwater 2386re with 115hp Yamaha. What weight or size lift would it need? If I traded for a similar sized tri toon would that also work?
Attachments
778.jpg
778.jpg (313.42 KiB) Viewed 3372 times

Bamaman

Re: Wishing I had a boat lift

#2 Post by Bamaman » Mon May 28, 2018 5:03 pm

Most passengers get into boats on cantilever lifts are from the side. Unfortunately you are in the far north where docks and lifts have to be pulled from the water prior to winter. A 4000 to 5000 pound lift would be preferred.

T&M Marine, north of Minneapolis, is may be the largest pontoon dealer there is, and he often will have some lifts traded in (used) from time to time.I

We are fortunate to have huge boathouses on steel poles driven down to bedrock. Most cost more than the boats.sitting in them.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

JoeB14

#3 Post by JoeB14 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:08 am

I have only seen lifts with the winch on the side, but if you spend extra for an electric motor and a remote, you should be able to board from the bow.
2016 Tahoe 2485 LTZ Tritoon, 150 HP Honda
2015 Ford Expedition 4x4

BobL

#4 Post by BobL » Tue May 29, 2018 10:38 am

mikeb33 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 4:36 pm
It's ok but I really hate putting the big cover on every night(or almost everynight). I would really like a lift with a awning so at the end of the day, up it goes!
I have a covered electric winch lift and the only time I put my boat (and cover) on the lift is when I leave for a few days. Curious why you think putting it on the lift and re-installing the cover is helpful. Kudos for you for keeping the boat covrered and out of the water each night but not sure I see the advantage.

Next, you mentioned an awning. If you are putting the cover back on at night due to critters/birds/etc., an awning will not help. Only a snap/cinch cover will keep some of the pests out.

I am a big proponent of covered lifts BUT they can block the view and you have a great view.
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

OK Toon

#5 Post by OK Toon » Tue May 29, 2018 12:12 pm

We love being able to have our boat on a lift inside our boat dock. Hydrohoist makes a front-mounted lift, if you can get power down to your dock. https://www.boatlift.com/product/ultral ... ont-mount/
Kim and Steve
2003 Lowe Suncruiser Trinidad 222
2003 Yamaha 90hp 4-stroke
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7
Spend most of our time on Lake Eufaula

jeffh129

#6 Post by jeffh129 » Tue May 29, 2018 3:25 pm

Hi Mike .What lake ? I live in Hartland.

mikeb33

#7 Post by mikeb33 » Tue May 29, 2018 4:18 pm

I don't really want the boat out of the water, but I want it covered to be out of the rain and sun to keep it nice looking. I see other people pull on their lift, spin a crank or push a button and it's safe and sound
Putting the canvas top on with all the snaps is such a pain. I'm hanging over the side like a gymnast and then crawling under to put the poles up. Is there a better way without the expense of a lift with awning?

Lauderdale Lakes btw.

steve1313

#8 Post by steve1313 » Wed May 30, 2018 2:10 am

So it sounds like you don't really want a lift, just an easy way to cover your boat from it's front docked position.

How about this?
https://www.reelezboatcover.com/
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

BobL

#9 Post by BobL » Wed May 30, 2018 11:55 am

mikeb33 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 4:18 pm
...... but I want it covered to be out of the rain and sun to keep it nice looking.
I am Anal and OCD (according to my wife and kids :biggrin2 ) and keep all my stuff very clean. With that being said, you mentioned in your original post that you did this at night then you mentioned in the above that you want sun and rain protection.

For rain protection, I purchased a motorcycle cover (some use a quality BBQ pit cover) and use that to cover my console as that is the only thing I worry about getting soaked. If you have a breathable cover, the seats are going to get damp anyway.

Another option is to look into furniture covers.

The Reel EZ cover that Steve posted looks interesting.

Again, I am a big proponent of covered lifts but I am not sure given your stated reasons (temporary protection from sun/rain) that I would go to the expense of a covered lift. Add the fact you are from the North and may be forced to remove your lift every winter, then I would personally have reservations spending the bucks.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I typically show up and take the cover off then drop the lift down. It stays in the water for the 2/4 days then I put it back on the lift and put the cover and poles on until I come back. If I know the lake is going to get rough when I am there (due to traffic and/or weather) then I put it back on the lift until it clears up.

Hopefully I am not coming off as a smart ass but I have been doing boats and lifts and covers for MANY years so just trying to save you some time and $$ given the parameters you laid out.

Good luck!
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

WhiteLaker

#10 Post by WhiteLaker » Thu May 31, 2018 12:01 pm

Couple of the people on my lake have these. Look pretty nice!

http://www.conestogacovers.com

KPC

#11 Post by KPC » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:22 am

mikeb33 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 4:18 pm

Putting the canvas top on with all the snaps is such a pain. I'm hanging over the side like a gymnast and then crawling under to put the poles up. Is there a better way without the expense of a lift with awning?

You just need a better "system" for covering the boat. From the time we pull on to the hoist, out boat cranked up, covered and put to sleep in less than 5 minutes.

1. First of all our poles are numbered and marked at the proper length for their position (1-6 from bow to stern)

2. When we un-cover the boat, starting at the front we roll the cover back taking each poll out (1-6) as we get to it and set it on the floor

3. When you get to the back, Tri-fold the cover with the sides toward the middle. Stow it away, or set it on the dock in the same position you took it off.

4. When we cover the boat. While standing in the boat, we set the rolled up and folded cover across back. Snap the cover around the back first, and then unroll the cover toward the front, placing each pole in place at the proper marked length, and snapping the sides evenly as you go forward.

5.When you get to the front, put the last pole in, snap around the bow and your done.

With this system, you never have to get under the cover at all.

Unless we are going to be back on the boat in a few hours or less, we cover the boat every time we dock.

KPC

TWB

#12 Post by TWB » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:19 pm

We use the exact same process as KPC. And are also done covering in 5 minutes (after clean up, etc). Will soon add a "generic" furniture cover for the console for days where I might choose to not cover fully overnight. Towel the dew off the seats and ready to go. (Clean and protect the seats before the next full covering.)

All of this even though we are on a covered lift. Don't want to leave it sitting in the brackish water we're in. Barnacles!
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife