Bunk glides

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

wwind3

Re: Bunk glides

#16 Post by wwind3 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:01 am

Squirrels took my carpet to build their condos plus my boards are shot. I don't trailer as I have a boat slip unless I need to take boat in for service so was wondering if it is worth the cost of the glides. If I recarpet I'll just be furnishing a new generation of squirrel condos.

I have read where several people have dropped their boats on the ground because the glides are so slick--you have to leave winch hooked up and winch the boat in. Anyone experience this on a steep ramp?

btw--Roland> 1st pic-Caddo? 2nd pic Red River? I think I've launched at both places...
2009 LOWE SS204 25in logs
90 Merc Optimax
Motorguide W55 Wireless
Underskinning
28 GPS

ROLAND

Re: Bunk glides

#17 Post by ROLAND » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:10 am

wwind3 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:01 am
Squirrels took my carpet to build their condos plus my boards are shot. I don't trailer as I have a boat slip unless I need to take boat in for service so was wondering if it is worth the cost of the glides. If I recarpet I'll just be furnishing a new generation of squirrel condos.

I have read where several people have dropped their boats on the ground because the glides are so slick--you have to leave winch hooked up and winch the boat in. Anyone experience this on a steep ramp?

btw--Roland> 1st pic-Caddo? 2nd pic Red River? I think I've launched at both places...
wwind3... I kind of agree with you about the carpet and the squirrels... Obviously carpet would be the cheapest but unless you can find a way to keep the squirrels away, seems like it would be a waste of time and money... as far as the cost of putting on bunk glides - well it wouldn't be cheap.. I can tell you that after I did mine, I bought some for my son's pontoon trailer. The absolute cheapest I found them was around 42 bucks a box at black bear sporting goods.. here's a link to the product http://www.blackbearsportinggoods.com/B ... d86162.htm these are tie down enginnering 86162. and each covers two 2" x 4" x 8' bunks... I had to buy 4 boxes to do my trailer... but I also ran the cost up a little bit because I replaced the actual bunks at the same time... so yes, a little pricey but not terrible and the upside is you'll probably never have to deal with it again... as far as the boat sliding off the bunk glides... I guess it's possible. I know the boat comes off these glides considerably easier than carpet, but I never felt like the boat would just "shoot" off the trailer.. but I'm one of those guys that NEVER unhooks my winch strap until the boat is back down in the water ready to launch. I used that same practice when I still had carpet on my bunks.. same thing loading and leaving.. after loading the boat I always hook up the strap before I ever pull the trailer / boat out of the water.. better safe than sorry.... as for the pics.. all of the pics at the lake were taken on Caddo Lake at the launch in Mooringsport, La. I've been on the Red River but never in my boat... we love Caddo lake and it's only about 8 to 10 miles from the house.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana