Where should I be looking for a used boat?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Henpecked

Where should I be looking for a used boat?

#1 Post by Henpecked » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:58 pm

I plan to study and figure out what I should be looking for for 2-3 months and buy a boat in the Fall when more people are getting rid of their boats. I look at Craig's List, but where should I be looking? Are there auction sites or boat specific sites? I live in the DFW, TX area.

I'd like a boat 20-24 ft and set it up for fishing with swivel chairs and a live well. My wife would like a place to relax and get some Sun. I'd like as large a diameter pontoon as possible. What year did most manufacturers increase the size? I'm open to rebuilding, but I will leave any motor work to a pro. I'm pretty handy with electrical and plan to add lights, upgrade the stereo, and add some other electrical stuff. I would replace the floor, seating, fence, and top as needed.

TIA

steve1313

Re: Where should I be looking for a used boat?

#2 Post by steve1313 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:29 am

Check out boattrader.com That's the go to site for used (and new) boats.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

Bugsbunnyboater

#3 Post by Bugsbunnyboater » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:01 am

Craigslist.com is always a good start.

BADsDAD

#4 Post by BADsDAD » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:26 am

Got a great deal on mine off of Craigslist this past spring. Seller didn’t put “pontoon” in the ad so he was getting no calls and I was able to talk him way down on a 2008 suntracker 21 with a 90 hp merc. It was kept indoors in near perfect condition.
Build your Craigslist search to contain many possible words like this: pontoon | barge | suntracker | suncatcher | “sun tracker” | “sun catcher” | Avalon | manatou. Etc etc.. save the search and use it each day morning/evening. I also use a google chrome Craigslist browser extension to keep my searches saved as I look for many things at once this way. It's called "Popup Notifications for Craigslist".

Also check Facebook marketplace as it's becoming really popular since you can kind of check out the seller before you contact them by looking at their public profile. Although, I haven't found the deals to be as good there. But I far prefer it to craigslist for selling stuff.
'08 Sun Tracker Fishin Barge 21
Mercury 90 ELPTO

bansil

#5 Post by bansil » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:56 am

Searchtempest.com it is best search out there....beware tho'.....the rabbit hole can get deep :mrgreen:
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

zoom650

#6 Post by zoom650 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:53 pm

I'd road trip over to the nearest good size lake with a marina or two and check the docks for "for sale" sign. Maybe a marina bulletin board too. Maybe they're brokering used boats there too.

Any excuse to go look at boats!
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.

Bamaman

#7 Post by Bamaman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:50 am

There are two problems with Texas. #1 is that the state is so large and not every town has lakes.. And #2 is that it is a long way from Dallas to anywhere else.

Center your search on Texas, Eastern Oklahoma and Arkansas.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150