You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Bamby

Re: lifting nacelles for pontoon boats

#16 Post by Bamby » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:21 am

radiodave wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:28 pm
What is a water Glide?
It's linked in the original post where I mentioned it to you. Did you look at the link "water glide"? And no I didn't go back and edit it in..... :lol3
You should like it they make all kind of promotional promises on their product.... But if they were even half as good as promoted they'd be on half the boats out there and everyone would be familiar with them.
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

radiodave

#17 Post by radiodave » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:56 am

Bamby, that water glide really looks like something!
Is the torpedo wire guided? :happy
Not enough surface area.

radiodave

#18 Post by radiodave » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:06 am

Riplipper, I think what you say sums my idea up.
I am in a sense describing a jonboat with pontoon sides underneath.
It is not light, but with enough flat surface area, she displaces light.
A sheet of plywood describes the effect.
And the ride unfortunately is the reward that comes with.
I saw many deck boats for sale for a lot less but wondered why. Now I know. I passed them up as I wanted a pontoon for sealed floatation. I'm glad I did. Pontoons are meant to be elegant. Not ride like jon boats. Answers my question.

radiodave

#19 Post by radiodave » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:38 am

Brings up another point.
If a pontoon boat was to ride like a skateboard long term, it's very construction could contribute to its destruction.
Way its,constructed.
Jonboats eventually leak as the rivets they are constructed of come unbucked for a reason.
Friend of mine when we were in the air force would borrow cleco clamps, replace several rivets at once.
Have to stop drill a bunch too.
All to often, the fasteners are the weak link.

willy13

#20 Post by willy13 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:50 am

Its fun to play with idea's of getting lift on a pontoon boat. Its clear manufacturer have decided that lifting strakes are the best option. While they all claim to have a the best design, most are some sort of angles aluminum welded to the side of the pontoon. Varying in size and angle.

The biggest problem with adding them later is finding a welder that is comfortable with doing it, without causing leaks.

steve1313

#21 Post by steve1313 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:23 pm

willy13 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:50 am
…………….. Its clear manufacturer have decided that lifting strakes are the best option. While they all claim to have a the best design, most are some sort of angles aluminum welded to the side of the pontoon.
And there's a reason they call them lifting strakes and not planing strakes. :biggrin2
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

Bamaman

#22 Post by Bamaman » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:49 pm

guy48065 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:50 am
Bamby wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:48 am
(deck boats)...who have owned them were seeming glad to be rid of them ...
In the years I've been on this forum I don't believe I've ever seen a discussion on why deck boats get a bad rap. My boss at work is considering a used one--what should I tell him?
Deck boats are fast. But they have less room for passengers than pontoons. And they ride like crap. We have seen a number of pontooners go to deck boats only to trade back for tritoons. The room of a pontoon is a big deal.

And the tritoons with lifting strakes to get the nosecones up out of the water are the way to go. 115 hp will do the job, but they're much more pleasurable with 150 hp or more.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

TDJ2591

#23 Post by TDJ2591 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:12 am

[color=#4000FF]2005 Crest Caribbean 25'
2006 Honda 135hp 4 stroke[/color]

jtsailjt

#24 Post by jtsailjt » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:53 am

I took a look at the Water Glide site and it looks like an impressive product. But I couldn't find any reference to what one of these costs. I know that it depends on boat size to get an accurate number but wonder if anyone happens to know what a ball park figure would be to put one on a 20' or 22' pontoon boat?

Oldchuck

#25 Post by Oldchuck » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:13 am

Jt,
I too, think it looks interesting and saw the vids and cad. My concern would be: Does it work.
Will the nacelle disrupt the water flow to the engine?
Will it throw a spray out back getting everything soaked.
Looking at your previous post on boat speed or lack of it I can see why you have an interest.
Would really like to talk to someone who has one as everything looks good in an add.
I do know Bennington makes or did make a partial middle pontoon that is similar to the nacelle in looks.
It performs better than two tubes but not nearly as good as their tritoon. Adding additional buoyancy and lifting can and will increase boat speeds.
Bennington's fastest reported hulls are their two tube elliptical 32" tubes with strakes and foils. They publish 35-36 mph with a 22' and a 115 however they do not handle as well as a tritoon. Point being, with lift and buoyancy you can gain speed but whether the Water Glide does this is the question....

jtsailjt

#26 Post by jtsailjt » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:56 pm

Bamby wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:30 am
Now you're off describing a water glide more or less. It's another gimmick that's parted some people of their money, of which there's no shortage of. :lol3 . I'm aware of some trying it with frustrating success, but then again they didn't want to admit they'd been snookered... :rofl
"A gimmick" sort of has a bad connotation ( as opposed to an "innovation") so I gather you're not fond of them? I trust that you're speaking from first hand experience rather than just repeating boatyard gossip? If first hand experience, would you please describe what claims the manufacturer made about this product that you didn't find to be accurate? Also, would you include what brand and size boat and what hp motor you had your negative experience with a Water Glide on as well as why you think the WG failed to meet your expectations? That would be really helpful, thanks!

Oldchuck

#27 Post by Oldchuck » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:09 am

Jt,
I too would like to see some info from folks who has tried this.
I think I would definitely effect handling but not sure if good or bad.
Getting it exactly straight down the midline might be tricky and could be a reason why it may not do well in some applications.
As I mentioned, different manufacturers have used additional buoyancy with strakes and foils to add lift for increased speed so the idea has some merit.
I am with you and would like to see some real life examples of this..