Trailer options for a TriToon

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

tha_waco_kid

Trailer options for a TriToon

#1 Post by tha_waco_kid » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:20 pm

Im finding the bunk trailers are pushing these units to over 9 feet when loaded up. Are there any other options for trailers for the 3 tube models? I will not be hauling much other than to the local boat landing in the spring and i the fall, and then storing in my garage (ideally on said trailer)....but i only have 9 foot garage doors.

Is there some sort of lower profile version of a trailer for a tritoon? any other options for my situation (which I'm sure is common!)?

Liquid Asset

Re: Trailer options for a TriToon

#2 Post by Liquid Asset » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:39 pm

I prefer a bunk trailer. I've hauled my boat twice locally on a center lift trailer. It was before I rebuilt it so my first purchase was a bunk trailer. I see people pulling those up the freeway and I think it's crazy! There's no reason for any trailer to be wider than the boat. For shipping purposes most boats are 8'-6". If you have aftermarket trailer guides on the outside of the boat you could end up being over width. All of the trailer mfgs. Have various styles of guides, they are inside the bunks of the trailer. They do make center lift trailers for tritoons but I've only ever seen them at dealerships. They are hydraulic lift and probably expensive.
My current trailer is a Hoosier. I like it because it's very low and doesn't require backing in the water so deep. You wouldn't have any width issues with a Hoosier and the low profile will help clear a garage door. I just bought a new boat and ordered and heavy duty yacht club. It's going to sit a bit higher than my current trailer but it has full size tires and built for hard towing. I tow all over the place so I want a trailer that can take a beating.
Good luck, shaun
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

riplipper

#3 Post by riplipper » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:06 am

I ordered a trailer for my tri toon wit 13 inch wheels for just this reason, The garage. Luckily I am building a new house with 10 tall foot door, My toon is at 9-3. My bunks sit directly on the fenders so there is no more lowering the boat.
I could remove windshield and lower the canopy a bit more and maybe get it to just under 9 foot.

One option would be to have a wider trailer with wheels outside of the toons, but then you would probably need permitting due to the extra width. You might also be able to buy even smaller tires. I have seem some that look like they are 10-12" tall and much wider???? But I am not a tire expert by any means.

Good luck,
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

Bamaman

#4 Post by Bamaman » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:10 pm

9 feet sounds very tall for a pontoon boat.

I'm building a boat barn, and I put my Bennington on the bunk style trailer with 13 inch tires so I could measure it. To the top of the ski bar (and engine), it's about 8' 3".

That will let me go with a 9' x 12' door. I would use a wider door, but my barn will be a drive through.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150