Building pontoons

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Wnv

Building pontoons

#1 Post by Wnv » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:41 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm a welder fabricator and I'm think about building pontoons to sell for people who want to put together their own boat. The end caps seems to usually be dome shaped, likely pressed out from a die set. It would be out of my budget to get a set of dies built to start out. I was wondering how much the domed shape effects performance. Would a flat end cap loose performance or is it more of an aesthetics thing? Also if anyone has any tips on building the nose cones (or even better a template) that would be great! Thanks

bansil

Re: Building pontoons

#2 Post by bansil » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:41 pm

How are you going to roll sheet metal for the tubes? Or do you plan on using tubing? When I looked tubing is $$$$$$$ to way that would work.

Companies exsist , especially up north that will roll it for you, setup cost would be the issue.

A lot of older pontoons are flat backed which is great for mounting transducers and other stuff.

Check your cost and consumables, before trying.

I plan to make some one day, and resell small scale was not feasible.

There is cadd programs for hvac ducting that will give you a flat layout for nose cones, only problem even if you anneal the sheets will be forming it

Good luck and post pictures as you proceed and Godspeed with your dreams :thumbsup
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

willy13

Re: Building pontoons

#3 Post by willy13 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:55 pm

Each manufacturer claims to have the best lifting strake design. Have you thought about how you would do yours?

What state are you in?