Issue with new Sylvan - advice, guidance, experience appreciated

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

mattk22359

Issue with new Sylvan - advice, guidance, experience appreciated

#1 Post by mattk22359 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:41 pm

Sorry for the long post. I have an issue with a new Sylvan pontoon boat. It would be extremely helpful to either hear from other Sylvan owners regarding whether you have experienced this same issue described below or generally from others experienced with pontoon boats as to whether what I am experiencing is expected or typical of pontoon boats and I’m just being too picky.

Background:
Last fall, just a few weeks before the end of our boating season here in Maine, we purchased our first pontoon boat. It is a new 2018 Sylvan 8522 Mirage tritoon (3/4) with a Merc 150. After driving the boat for a couple of days, it became apparent that that the boat had a significantly visible lean or list to the starboard side. It is especially noticeable when cruising down the lake because when looking out over the front “wall” of the boat the wall is clearly tilted relative to the horizon.

Just days after taking delivery when I recognized this, I called both the dealer and Sylvan directly to express my concern. I was concerned because they were coming in just a few weeks to pick up the boat and put it into storage for winter (6 months) without the issue being resolved. The rep from Sylvan assured me that with the lifetime warranty on the structure they would resolve this. He recommended the first thing we do was check the pontoons for water when it was pulled out which we did. We removed the drain plugs on both the starboard and port pontoons and they were dry. The Sylvan rep said that if the pontoons were dry, it was likely being caused by the weight of the fairly large helm sitting on the starboard side. He said as a next step they would have the dealer move the current battery from the starboard side to the port side and if that didn’t correct it, they would install the “second battery kit” at their cost, thus adding the weight of 2 batteries to the port side to help balance out the boat. Fast forward to this spring. The boat was delivered to me by the dealer with the 2nd battery kit installed. It made no difference at all. The boat leans exactly as it did last fall.

This morning, in an attempt to better understand what is going on, I took a series of measurements with the boat in the water. It was early morning so the water was as calm as glass and the boat was empty. I first measured from the water’s surface up to the deck of the boat on each side (port and starboard). Sure enough, the boat's deck is 2” closer to the water on the starboard side than it is on the port side (just as it was last fall). Next, I determined that the starboard side pontoon is submerged deeper (possibly a couple of inches deeper) than the port side pontoon. I am new to pontoon boats but this suggests to me the boat is truly listing/leaning due to a weight imbalance.

Lastly, I placed a bubble level on center of the front edge of the boat deck. Standing in the water facing the boat, the bubble inside the level is pegged all the way to the port side again reinforcing that the boat is truly leaning to the starboard side. As one final test, I decided to see what it might take to get the deck level according to the bubble level. I weigh 190lbs. For one final test, I climbed up on the deck and found I had to move all the way over to the very edge of the port side of the deck for the boat to level out according to the bubble level.

I’d really value others thoughts/opinions on this. Given the above, I don't see how this imbalance is going to be corrected without adding an unreasonable amount of weight to the port side. Again, am I just being too picky? This really is quite visible both when the boat is sitting still while docked and when it is underway. Is this just typical of a pontoon boat? Just makes me a little sick after paying 40 grand for a new boat to have it listing to one side while heading down the lake. My concern now is that even if they were to replace the boat with the same model it might be exactly the same? Ideally, it would be great to hear from another Sylvan owner with the same model as to whether your boat is doing this.

Thanks,
Matt Kennedy
-Matt
New Hampshire

22' Sylvan Mirage LZ LES tritoon w/150hp Merc

bansil

Re: Issue with new Sylvan - advice, guidance, experience appreciated

#2 Post by bansil » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:00 pm

Is the fuel tank on right rear? What size? I am surprised with a tritoon, that 190 pounds can make it level, if you just walk to side.
Ours sits low due to fuel, battery helm ect
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

onlybillhere

#3 Post by onlybillhere » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:43 am

well it's definitely a weight distribution issue. That helm must be pretty hefty to still make the pontoon lean even after a 2 battery kit with relocation. Sound like you need to see if you can get the gas tank to the port side also if you can.
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.

mattk22359

#4 Post by mattk22359 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:05 am

bansil,

The fuel tank is 30 gals. It appears to be located in the center just forward of the outboard.

onlybillhere,

Thanks. The thing that strikes me is if a brand new, empty boat has this issue which requires things such as relocating the gas tank (not really sure where else it could go) that would mean all of this particular model lean the same way. Seems crazy they'd be shipping product with this kind of issue/design.

Thanks for the replies.
-Matt
-Matt
New Hampshire

onlybillhere

#5 Post by onlybillhere » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:09 am

i agree it's odd that they would ship a boat that is out of the gate leaning, maybe they are thinking with a loaded boat with the people on it that the pontoon would sit level. most likely there will be more people on the side opposite the helm. So any chance the fuel tank can be moved? That full tank is 189 pounds heavy...might be enough to level things out.
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#6 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:16 am

this is a pretty far reach, but have you verified all the toons are the same diameter? if somehow in production something got Effed up?
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

bansil

#7 Post by bansil » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:38 pm

Being new I would get with dealer, it shouldn't be leaning in 2018/2019

3 toons can hold alot of wt, I actually read it as pontoon at first, hence the fuel tank question.

Can take an above shot of furniture location? Maybe it was/is new untested floor plan??

jadeboy

#8 Post by jadeboy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:49 am

I can't believe Sylvan won't help you out on this issue they have one of the best customer services out there I had a issue talk with rep at a boat show and had answers with in a few days my dealer also took care of other things no questions asked.

mattk22359

#9 Post by mattk22359 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:58 am

Thanks. Just to be clear, I didn't say Sylvan won't help me out. I posted this message thread in order to hear from experience and get some help in understanding and gauging what is typical, reasonable, appropriate in terms of the both the problem I believe I have, and with the solutions being proposed. I just don't have any past experience with pontoon boats. Example, I don't even have the background to know whether listing to one side something all pontoon boats experience. Thanks again! -Matt
-Matt
New Hampshire

Reiner

#10 Post by Reiner » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:41 pm

Are you sure there is no water in one of the pontoons? Those are usually partitioned and unless they all have drain plugs you checked. Pull the boat out of the water and rock it, you may hear water sloshing.
Hope you solve that problem, would drive me nuts to see a crooked horizon in front of me.
2015 Lowe SS 210 RFL XL Package 150 HP Merc
"The Nina" or "The Bismarck" my buddy's call it!
2011 Tundra

bansil

#11 Post by bansil » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:48 pm

Yeah, new tritoon, isn't going lean.

Something is wrong, it could be to many hookers OR blow...ugh...maybe too much rum...which depending on life....could be good/bad or ....oops....sorry :mrgreen:

Seriously...ask dealer....then go hookers and blow..
I mean..ugh..you know. ..priorities :mrgreen:

Time to "finish" ribs

Cya'll :smoke

FLOUNDERPOUNDER225

#12 Post by FLOUNDERPOUNDER225 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:19 am

Reiner wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:41 pm
Are you sure there is no water in one of the pontoons? Those are usually partitioned and unless they all have drain plugs you checked. Pull the boat out of the water and rock it, you may hear water sloshing.
Hope you solve that problem, would drive me nuts to see a crooked horizon in front of me.
I can't swear to this because I have never seen the construction of different MFGs, but what I have heard is even if the toons have bulkheads there is a small transition at the bottom so when the stern plug is removed, all the water would eventually come out? That's one reason I like my Forest River Berkshire, it has the air valve on all three toons, I can check the pressure and know for certain if I have a compromised hull.
Pensacola FL
2015 Berkshire 231 RFC
Yamaha F-150

mattk22359

#13 Post by mattk22359 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:56 am

Thanks. In this case, they were checked carefully by the dealer including for any "sloshing" sounds and then pulling the plugs when it was pulled from the water last fall.
-Matt
New Hampshire

steve1313

#14 Post by steve1313 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:14 am

It sure will be interesting to find out what caused the problem and how they resolve it.

It's got to have quite a bit of extra weight on one side to give it that much lean. Or maybe like someone suggested, a smaller log on one side. Or maybe there is some secret treasure inside of one of the pontoons! Or maybe you better check to see if anyone at the factory came up missing the day your boat was produced! LOL
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

Rick McC.

#15 Post by Rick McC. » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:15 pm

My old pontoon boat sits a little low on the port side due to the gas tank being on that side.

My son’s almost new tri-toon sits a little low on one side (can’t remember which), though his fuel tank is in the middle like the OP’s, and he only has one battery. Battery’s on the same side as the helm, so that may be it.

Both boats are level when underway.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.