A few questions (Powder Coated Toons, Regency, etc.)

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

BobL

A few questions (Powder Coated Toons, Regency, etc.)

#1 Post by BobL » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:40 pm

Starting to sniff around for a new boat. I purchased my last two boats from a dealer that went out of business a couple of years ago. Now looking around for decent dealers close to me and there are a couple of Regency Dealers (independent - not Bass Pro/Cabelas). Have a couple of questions that I hope some of you can answer:

1 - the boats I am looking at have Power Coated toons. Does anyone have experience with how they are holding up? My home lake is fresh water but dirty (in Louisiana). Rarely does it sit in the water for more than 2-3 days. I may take the boat to saltwater once a year where it would sit in salt for 4-5 days. Powder coat looks great new but wonder if it will look worse than semi-stained aluminum after a year or two.

2 - Anyone have experience with Regency Boats? They seem to be getting pretty popular around here (several independent dealers plus Bass Pro/Cabelas).

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

Liquid Asset

Re: A few questions (Powder Coated Toons, Regency, etc.)

#2 Post by Liquid Asset » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:50 pm

If regency had a full windshield model I would have one. We still almost pulled the trigger on a no current regency bass pro had but it was 27' plus trailer and a couple feet too long for the garage. I ended up painted my logs to look like theirs! On my old rebuild boat I painted them because the aluminum was so messed up. I end up loving how easy it was to clean and wanted something other than bare aluminum on the new boat. I just wipe mine down with vinegar water to clean them.
I boat in everything from crystal clear water to a muddy river reservoir. Actually it's the famous " Flint river" here in Michigan that caused all the drinking water issues. That water is very hard and muddy looking so it makes a mess after a few days. When I get the boat home its easy to clean.
As for the powder coat holding up I've never seen one messed up and there are a few in my area . There are several manufacturers offering painted logs so it's getting more popular. I'm sure tracker uses a similar process as on their aluminum fishing boats so I wouldn't worry about it falling off.
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

steve1313

#3 Post by steve1313 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:18 am

The marina I used to slip my boat in had a couple of toons with black powder coated logs. In my opinion, they looked terrible. They were dull, faded looking and severely water spotted. These are boats that are on in a covered slips on lifts, so they are not sitting in the water, but I'm also sure they are never getting cleaned. Based on what LiquidAsset says they are easy to clean if you have them out of the water.

I would compare them to a black car. There's nothing more beautiful then a clean black car. But black shows dirt and water spots easier than just about any other color. That doesn't necessarily mean that black toons (or any other color) are bad, just something to think about.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

BobL

#4 Post by BobL » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:09 pm

Thanks for the responses so far!

Thought I would add to the thread. The sales lady told me I really needed to also look at the Ranger 2300 LS. With a 250 Merc and trailer, the boat is mid-80's and I was not looking for anything in that price range. Started to look at it and this is a very nice boat but all the electronics scare the crap out of me. The entire boat is run through a Murphy System. I had a Mastercraft wakeboard boat a few years back and Murphy put out some bad screens. I think the screens are around $5k to replace. Anyway, if the screen goes down you can still start, steer, and throttle but that is it. GPS, lights, engine monitors, depth, stereo, etc. are all run through this touch screen. These also have an electric bimini (I think comes standard) and wait for it....a backup camera. Put it in reverse, the screen auto-switches to the backup camera.

Now I am a gadget freak a think a lot of these features are cool but I have had boats for 40+ years and crap breaks, things get hot in the summer and cold in the winter, and things get wet (sometimes very wet).

I think they need to change the acronym of BOAT to BOATT (Break Out Another Ten Thousand when things break).

Wife wants to go see it so wish me luck that common sense prevails. :biggrin2
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

Liquid Asset

#5 Post by Liquid Asset » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:45 pm

I like painted logs , they look way better than roached aluminum, but I don't like power Bimini's. I always wanted one due to a low bridge on a lake we visit regularly. I had the pleasure of using a 27' tahoe with a power Bimini ( and 300 HP! ) And the Bimini had to be down at 25 mph. It was on a loaner boat while ours was getting prepped. I personally think the powder tops are flimsy for what they cost. My standard Bimini has no issues with 40 mph.
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

rbtnt

#6 Post by rbtnt » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:52 am

A friend bought a used Regency last year and really happy with it. His toons have a gray powder coat. He leaves it in the water all summer the toons clean off real easy. Untreated toons in our water build up calcium and green grass if you don't clean them.

His bimini top has gas shocks or springs in the rear supports so it folds down with little effort to take the bimini boot off or put it on. This is a lot better than standing on a seat or like my boat I don't have a seat in the rear center to stand on.
2020 Bennington 23 SSRXP Mercury 250 Pro XS
www.mtboats.com - Links to all types of powerboat resources

jays0n

#7 Post by jays0n » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:50 pm

We recently bought a Regency with black powder coated logs with a rainbow metal flake, which looks better than you'd think. The railings are the same color. We have a lift at our place but it needs to be modified from the V hull it was built for, which will happen over the winter so it's been moored in the water for the last 3+ weeks. I pulled it out two days ago and the pontoons don't even show a scum line at all, they seem perfectly clean. Now our lake is almost never calm where the boat is, that may have something to do with it them being so clean. Oh and the bimini top IS super easy to set up and take down, the mooring cover on the other hand is nuts to put on, I've got it down to about 30 minutes :)

We love the color of them them but I'd say one of the downsides of black logs is that just about every boat that goes past our place has to stop to see what it is, apparently from a distance it looks nothing like a pontoon boat so it gets a lot of attention, which is getting a bit old :)
"COMING IN HOT" - 2020 Regency 250 DL3 w/Mercury Verado 300