Dark vs light colored bimini fabric

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

JonPuckett

Dark vs light colored bimini fabric

#1 Post by JonPuckett » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:57 pm

Is there any general consensus on benefits and drawbacks with light colored vs dark colored bimini top canvas? I currently have beige canvas but it is not going to last much longer, I will mostly be replacing it over the winter.

I have heard an argument in favor of light colors because some think it would feel warmer under dark colored covers, but with all the sides open I seriously doubt there is much merit to that theory. I will most likely go with a hunter green color as it still matches my color scheme (ivory, green, tan), and I think the darker canvas will be easier on the eyes.

Anyone know if there is a significant difference which should change my decision?

Kraftei

Re: Dark vs light colored bimini fabric

#2 Post by Kraftei » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:25 pm

I have a black bimini, looks sharp and blocks the sun. I don't feel any extra heat, dont think that theory has merit.

I have a black mooring cover, it gets smoking hot under it, really holds the heat in. A little hard on the feet (floor gets hot) when you first take it off, that said it keeps the boat bone dry due to the oven effect! I have never taken it off and found dampness, even after massive rain storms!

steve1313

#3 Post by steve1313 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:26 am

I agree with the other posters. It doesn't matter. I have a black bimini, and although we rarely use it, when we do open it up it does the same job that the lighter shades do.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

bigi

#4 Post by bigi » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:06 am

It's not the heat factor so much as is the longevity factor. I believe dark objects like roof shingles just don't last as long as lighter colors.

rbtnt

#5 Post by rbtnt » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:26 am

Local Bennington dealer told me their dark material last longer than the light material.
2020 Bennington 23 SSRXP Mercury 250 Pro XS
www.mtboats.com - Links to all types of powerboat resources

bigi

#6 Post by bigi » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:08 am

No to sound controversial, but can the dealer support his claim or is it just a sales pitch supporting what color is in voque?

JonPuckett

#7 Post by JonPuckett » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:33 am

I figured as much. I wanted to clear up conjecture from people that say a thing but don't actually know a thing.

I appreciate the reports from those with black biminis, and the guy with the black mooring cover. It doesn't get any darker than black!
Last edited by JonPuckett on Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

TWB

#8 Post by TWB » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:34 am

Mine is not only navy blue, it is vinyl and lined (2003 luxury I guess). It keeps every drop of rain out, but is no hotter than boats I've been on with much lighter weight and color.

:2cents
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

riplipper

#9 Post by riplipper » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:28 am

Most pontoon boats have lots of head room, I am tall and I still have two feet above my head.
However, I have had black bimini tops on many boats without much headroom and on a hot day the are very hot under them.
I cant speak for longevity but have had black sunbrella last over ten years
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.