Is this something I'm overthinking?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

onlybillhere

Is this something I'm overthinking?

#1 Post by onlybillhere » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:21 am

So we went out this weekend for Labor Day festivities. Normally it's just me and wife and not a lot of other things (a small cooler and maybe an extra 5 gallon gas tank and that's about it), the pontoon will get me up to 18mph turning around 5500 rpm (pretty much the sweet spot at WOT). So we brought another person with more stuff (bigger cooler), probably added another 300-350 pounds including the person than what we normally do. was turning 4500rpm (wot) and about 13mph.

so my question is should I be dropping that many rpm's for the extra weight added?
Also If I change the prop to get me back into the 5500 rpm with the extra weight i would need to lower the pitch (currently running 10.6" x 12 pitch) but would that make sense to even do? I normally run the boat with just me and the wife half the time and loaded with extra person(s) the other half.
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.

riplipper

Re: Is this something I'm overthinking?

#2 Post by riplipper » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:36 am

350 lbs is probably close to 15% weight gain for your boat so yes it will hurt performance.
Your wide open RPMs with normal load should be equal to the engines maximum RPS.
If you cannot get to max rpms for your motor, there is most likely a prop issue which fixed will help with the additional weight issues.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

BobL

Re: Is this something I'm overthinking?

#3 Post by BobL » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:53 am

The load lugs the motor rpm's down just like climbing a hill in high gear in your truck. Now throw in hundreds of pounds of concrete in the back of the truck, unless the wheels are losing grip, the RPM's will go down. The truck performance under load can be controlled with gears but the only "gear" control you have on a boat is via the prop.

Same thing on a boat. With extra weight, and slower top speed, the only way the prop is going to spin as fast is if you have a lot of slip (prop pitch).

Enjoy the boat and friends and go slower when there is a lot of beer on board. :biggrin2
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury