maybe buying used pontoon but trailer axle is bad...

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

onlybillhere

maybe buying used pontoon but trailer axle is bad...

#1 Post by onlybillhere » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:01 am

So there is a project pontoon for sale however the trailer it sits on the axle is no good (needs to be replaced). I'm about 100 miles away from the pontoon, what suggestions do you have to get the boat with trailer (preferably) back home? Currently my pontoon is at home sitting on its trailer. Could I flatbed it back using a towing service? I'm just looking for ideas and hopefully one of you have ran into this and figure out how to do it.
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: maybe buying used pontoon but trailer axle is bad...

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:13 am

Just go buy an axel and hang it, they are easy to replace, two people can have it done in a heart beat
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

jays0n

#3 Post by jays0n » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:19 am

Sounds like it's a single axle trailer, if so I'd order and replace the axle on site and haul it home. Replacing an axle is pretty straightforward, only a few bolts. I'd replace the springs at the same time, which is actually easier. Mount the springs to the new axle ahead of time, put some tires on it, jack up the trailer, pull out the old one, roll in the new one and bolt on the springs/shackles, done!
"COMING IN HOT" - 2020 Regency 250 DL3 w/Mercury Verado 300

onlybillhere

#4 Post by onlybillhere » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:30 am

sometimes the best idea is the one that's staring you right in the face. I'm here thinking of transferring the pontoon to a new trailer, all this other stuff not even thinking about swapping the axle.
You guys (and glas) here rock! :nana
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.

Bamaman

#5 Post by Bamaman » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:19 pm

I had a hub burn out one time. The house I was driving past was 10 miles out in the country, so I just left the trailer there. I bought an new axle locally with the hubs for just under $200.

I took my floor jack, jack stands and socket wrenches with me. Fortunately, the gentleman had an impact wrench, and I was up and running in about 30 minutes.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150