Keeping trailer outside

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

rick carpenter

Keeping trailer outside

#1 Post by rick carpenter » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:27 pm

Our trailer lives outside uncovered on grass beside the house. I won't be using it other than to take the boat out of the marina to clean/work on/yearly maintenance when needed, so 2-3 times a year. I know I need to raise it off the tires. I'm thinking about putting some open garbage bags over the wheels to keep the rain off the hubs. Is this a good idea? Anything else to do or not to do?
2021 Sun Tracker 18' Bass Buggy
Boat lives happily on Lake Livingston TX

boocat

Re: Keeping trailer outside

#2 Post by boocat » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:09 pm

I wouldn't think rain would hurt the hubs but sun will kill the tires. Say Hi to my S.I.L. she lives in Oakhurst.

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#3 Post by lakerunner » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:54 pm

Don't bother with garbage bags. pull wheels and keep indoors. Or buy tire covers like this

https://www.amazon.com/RVMasking-Motorh ... 210&sr=8-5
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

Bamaman

#4 Post by Bamaman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:04 am

Put the trailer on jack stands and bring the tires inside where the light cannot get to them.

The trailer's much more secure that way.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

riplipper

#5 Post by riplipper » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:40 am

Sounds like way too much trouble to me....an empty trailer does very little to hurt tires rated for 1500 or so pounds EACH.
I live in Florida and I do not worry about the sun on my tires??? I guess if I was storing it for years without using I might think differently but if you plan to use it 2-3 times a year I would not bother with anything.
FWIW, I have a small cargo trailer with 18 year old tires on it and they still are carrying a couple of tons of crap a few times a year.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

Steiner

#6 Post by Steiner » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:37 am

Personally I've popped the tires off trailers when sitting for anti-theft moreso than just keeping the sun off them. Pretty easy, lower the jack all the way down, put stands behind the tires against the frame, and crank the jack back up to lift the tires. My enclosed trailer has stands on it so that makes it easy. HOWEVER, just putting down a few 99 cent pavers from Walmart to park it on and leaning a couple pieces of plywood against the sides to keep the sun off them ought to do as good a job.
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package