Best way to clean pontoons

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ZeroG

Best way to clean pontoons

#1 Post by ZeroG » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:19 pm

I'm a river boater with a new pontoon. Manitou. I've heard but never verified that you cannot use chemicals to clean the pontoons cause Manitou (and probably other manufacturers) coat the pontoons with a protector that acid wash will take off.
I was thinking of pressure washing them after pulling out of the water but what cleaners are safe to use? The Ohio River will coat a boat after it has been in the water for a day. Lots leave their pontoons in here all season but I do not know any of them to ask how they clean them. Any thoughts appreciated.

Bamaman

Re: Best way to clean pontoons

#2 Post by Bamaman » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:48 am

I don't know that Manitou puts sealer on their toons, but I doubt it. Bennington will apply Sharkhide as an option, but that's the only manufacturer I know of that applies any sealer at the factory.

The best thing you can do for your toon is store it out of the water. I had a Starcraft pontoon for 28 years, and its bottom has never been cleaned since it always stayed in a boat house. (I gave it to my grandson.)

My new Bennington was bought 1 month after it was built, and the dealer kept it inside a dark warehouse. There were signs so soon of the toons tarnishing. I bought a dual action polisher, a wool bonnet and White Diamond metal polish and keep the outside of the toons and the nosecones polished in May of every year. It takes me about 90 minutes to polish my toons--not too bad.

So many people leave their toons in the water and get algae on them. They have to use an acid based cleaner that's very harsh. You spray it on with a yard sprayer and hose it off--no scrubbing. The problem is that the surface is etched--and very dull. To get the shine back requires a heavy polishing--much more work than my light polishing my toons.

Like I said, try to keep your boat stored out of the water and it'll be so much easier to keep clean. And it's going to last longer too.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

Flanker

#3 Post by Flanker » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:05 pm

I have been boating on the Ohio for years, but I don't leave my boat in the water for more than a couple of days. My pressure washer cleans it up just fine. I used to keep a fiber glass cruiser on the Ohio for the whole summer. I found that if you power washed it immediately after you pulled it out, it would clean up much better and easier while it was wet than trying to wash it off the next day.
Westport KY
Ohio River/McAlpine Pool
2009 Crestliner Bataba Bay
150 Merc

Steiner

#4 Post by Steiner » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:11 pm

I've used the non-acid a/c cleaner and just carwash with a stiff yellow brush from Home Depot. However, has anyone ever used Iron Out? A friend said it's the only thing that takes clay out of her husband's softball clothes. We've got a jug of the powdered kind you put in the wash or tub. I never thought of cleaning the tubes with it but the outdoor version is aluminum safe. Hmmm....
https://summitbrands.com/iron-out-rust- ... s/outdoor/
https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Outdoor-Sta ... B0049PJR1U
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Iron- ... /300091344
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package