Electric Trolling Motor

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

soccs11

Electric Trolling Motor

#1 Post by soccs11 » Mon May 03, 2021 4:22 pm

Hi All;

Picking up my new Sun Tracker hopefully the beginning of July. I know the dealer did not order it with a trolling motor. Should I have them install one before I pick up the toon or buy one on line and install it myself? I don't want to go crazy with the price; so can anyone suggest what I should be looking for? Thanks.

riplipper

Re: Electric Trolling Motor

#2 Post by riplipper » Thu May 06, 2021 3:53 am

I installed an I pilot, not cheap but BEST money I ever spent.
Very easy to install and wire up.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

coherent

#3 Post by coherent » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:15 am

I also got a Terrova I-pilot and installed myself with a removable mount plate. The Bass Buggy came all re wired so was a pretty simple install. No need to pay the dealer $$$. I just put a deep cycle battery and box under the helm. It's well worth being able to control the trolling motor using the remote from anywhere on the boat. Also nice to automatically hold it in position. Best prices I could find for trolling motors and mounts was BBG Marine. Great guy/company to deal with.

steve1313

#4 Post by steve1313 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:06 am

If you intend to totally isolate the trolling motor from the rest of the boats systems, I'd say DIY. If you are going to share batteries or otherwise connect to the existing electrical system, I'd let the dealer do it just to avoid any potential issues if you have any warranty issues with the boat. You don't want to give your dealer any excuses or try to tell you that a seemingly unrelated problem is because you did something "wrong" in your install.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

boocat

#5 Post by boocat » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:17 pm

I did a DIY on my 18 bass buggy with a Minn-Kota Power Drive (pontoon) 68lb 24v 48 in shaft. At the time the I-Pilot was an add on option which I added with very little effort. I went with group 27 batts, one under the helm and one under the most forward area of the port side lounge. The cableing is run under the deck. The 48 inch shaft has been more than adequate and the 68lb motor does great. Also added a 2 bank onboard charger for the troll batts. I-pilot is super awesome.