Things that go bump

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

dockholiday

Things that go bump

#1 Post by dockholiday » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:15 pm

Well after boating for almost 30 years, I had the big one last Saturday. Hit a submerged tree. Best I could make out it hit about mid log on the port toon and when it reached the stern it just popped off the end cap. The boat was listing almost to the rub rail and once I cleared the area, I sped up some and the boat righted it self so I headed to the ramp. Rarely leave the car and trailer at the ramp, but I knew I would only be out a few hours so I just left it at the ramp, good thing. Got to the ramp and set a record time wise getting the trailer into the water. The wife was able to bring it in enough so I could wrestle it onto the trailer. This was the first look I had at the damage. The end cap had popped off completely like popping a hub cap. Took about 15 mins for the water to drain out through the small hole in the partitions. Talked with the insurance adjuster today and he will look at it Thurs. Had been putting off getting a GPS but think I am ready now. Need one that shows permanent obstacles under water ie timber left for fish plots and other obstacles. The standing timber left by Ga, Power wasn't a problem when it was visible but now it is at or just below water level. I would like to have a hand held with a good size screen, sort of like the Garmin nuvi models but not sure if you can download lake info into them, pretty sure the bare bones models don't show much except where the water is.
Have bumped a few stumps here and there over the years but nothing like this.
doc (sic)

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: Things that go bump

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:53 pm

Image is how it had to make you feel, but I'm glad you got her back safe
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

mikeherb

#3 Post by mikeherb » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:10 pm

I hate to hear about your incident. Have never been so unfortunate other than ruining a few props.

I think you're right about the GPS. My Nuvi shows blue for water but there is no navigation information at all on the North American maps software loaded on it. I know there are units that are specifically designed to combine road and water navigation.

Let us know how things turn out. Glad you got in safely.

dockholiday

#4 Post by dockholiday » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:14 pm

Thanks Herb, believe I was in shock until I got it back on the trailer. The wife was driving and I didn't even say anything to her. Probably would have happened to me if I had been driving. I actually thought we were passed all the standing timber areas.
doc

dockholiday

#5 Post by dockholiday » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:22 pm

Thanks Sundeck, thought it would only show the water. Saw one at west marine, the oregon or Colorado, or something like that, it seemed to do it all but it was 8 or 9 hundred. Like the screen style of the nuvi just need to find one with a little more details,
doc (Ya'll be careful out there)

curtiscapk

#6 Post by curtiscapk » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:55 pm

That sucks doc glad you at least got it back instead of her goin under. Truman lake is full of flooded timber all spring it was flooded, which means scenerio just like yours what is usually visable is under water...

I have been lucky it's down to normal pool now should be good to go next weekend first time since the fourth of July.

any pics to see how bad it really was
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

dockholiday

#7 Post by dockholiday » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:31 pm

No pics, just don't take them like I use to. Bought my sister a pretty nice digital but not for myself. Had a 35 minolta and a hi 8 camcorder but rarely do any shooting now. Think I will spring for a hd camcorder pretty soon, seems like the prices are getting pretty good, lot less than I paid for the hi 8. in it's day.
doc

Alohatoon1

#8 Post by Alohatoon1 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:07 pm

At least you were able to drive back to the ramp, but yes, that still sucks. Hopefully your insurance company will make it easy to get it all fixed.

last time something went bump on my boat, it was a big submerged rockpile just outside of the Needles marina on the Colorado River.
BoatUS paid off $9100 of the $9500 bill to put it all back together again. Took out my outdrive and $1500 worth of props.

Plus I had the embarrassment of being towed back to the marina by a girl on a waverunner
Please visit my website if you get a chance, better yet submit a couple of your favorite photos there!
The Boating Photo of the Day

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#9 Post by badmoonrising » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:43 pm

Alohatoon1 wrote: Plus I had the embarrassment of being towed back to the marina by a girl on a waverunner

Depends, was she hot ?? :tofunny
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

Snider4

#10 Post by Snider4 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:45 pm

Hope your back out and tooning soon doc.
Snider4
Misty Harbor 2080RE
Merc 50
Sprinter Select 26BH
Ohio

dockholiday

#11 Post by dockholiday » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:09 pm

Snider4 wrote:Hope your back out and tooning soon doc.
Thanks, adjuster looked at it last week and agreed to a new pontoon for the damaged one, dealer said he would work up and estimate and fax it to adjuster. If Allstate handles it as well as the power surge that took out my computer, I should be in good shape. I am sure the under-skinning will add to the labor cost. You guys stay current on your insurance, never can tell when one of these freak accidents will rear it's ugly head. First for me in almost 30 years out side of a dinged prop here and there. The bump I heard didn't seem severe enough to rip off the back of the toon. Probably take a week to get the log shipped here from Bentley or Encore, not sure which name they are using now. Was lucky it was a tritoon, think the middle log kept the motor up and prevented it from being submerged, ran the motor once I got it home and it seemed to be okay.
doc

WaltF

#12 Post by WaltF » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:49 am

Man... that sucks...

Glad you're ok Doc!

Mr. Insurance man will fix you up and back out you'll go! :guitar

Love to see pics of that.... break down a take a few... :fruit
--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
'07 22 ft SunTracker Regency 135hp i/o
'02 Dodge 2500, Edge Juice w/Attitude
Colorado Springs, CO.

dockholiday

#13 Post by dockholiday » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:15 pm

Got a call from the insurance adjuster today saying he accepted the quote from the dealer so it is just a matter of them picking up the new log and bringing it back to Ga. (from South Carolina I believe)
Hopefully a week no more than two,and it will be ready for the water. Just depend on how busy their workload is
doc

dockholiday

#14 Post by dockholiday » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:53 am

Just received a check for replacement of the damaged toon. Although the time wasn't as quick as the computer claim last year (only a few days) that is understandable since the adjuster had to go view the boat and pretty sure he covers a pretty large area. From what I understand, he said it need a new toon right off and never entertained the idea of trying to repair the damaged area or section. Guess you never know how good your insurance is to you have a claim. Can't say enough good things about how well Allstate has executed my claims in the last few years.
doc