Engine Upgrade

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

WoodenPontoon

Engine Upgrade

#1 Post by WoodenPontoon » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:55 pm

I was supposed to be having my engine installed this weekend.

The guy that I bought my engine from was unable to find a good lower unit for the 70 HP Yamaha, even though he was making all efforts to locate one for me. He re-manufactures outboards and is limited by the condition of the used outboards that he can find and purchase for his parts inventory.

He has offered a 90 HP Evinrude with controls instead of the 70 Yamaha. The 90 that was in his shop was almost completely ready. It only needed to have it's hood and lower unit painted. He expects to have it ready very early next week. I'm going to try having him install it on Tuesday or Wednesday.

How are the Evinrude engines on gas? I'm wondering if I should get something bigger than my 18 gallon tank.

Ya know, It's really starting to feel and look like a real boat! Don't wake me up!!!!
2009 --- 22 1/2' All Wood Basement-HandCrafted Tri-Hulled Pontoon "All Spruced Up"

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: Engine Upgrade

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:28 am

There all about the same unless you get one of the new one's
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#3 Post by badmoonrising » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:40 am

My old Proline had a 1982 model year 115 Evinrude with an 18 gallon tank and I'd be out of gas in 35-40 miles. My Starcraft has an 18 gallon tank with the 3.0 liter I/O and I get about 160 miles on a tank. Older 2 strokes are notoriously bad on fuel consumption, usually a comparable 4 stroke will get 3 times the fuel economy of an older 2 stroke.
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

dockholiday

#4 Post by dockholiday » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:42 am

Hi Dan

Back in the 80's I had a bow rider with an in line 6 150hp merc. big motor for it's day and it really sucked the gas down. Will say that back then all I knew was stop and wide open. The difference between a 2008 and a mid 1980's Merc 150 is not even comparable. Fuel consumption wise and noise wise. My take is the newer the motor the better the fuel efficiency, hence the less gas you will need to carry which translates into less weight. Granted newer means more money, but thinking in the long run, it will pay off for you. Guess you know these but the water conversion is 7.48 gallons in a cubic foot and 1 gallon weighs 8.34 lbs. As I recall the difference in weight between a 2 stoke and 4 stroke 150 merc is about 100 lbs. That in it's self would translate into carrying about 15 gallons of gas. Personally I think a newer 2 stroke in the 50 to 90hp would be perfect for your boat and put less weight on your transom. Think all this stuff is right but still on my first cup of coffee.
doc

MrGadget

#5 Post by MrGadget » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:34 pm

I wouldn't go near an older 2-stroke that didn't have DFI and a self-managed oil reservoir. If you have to pre-mix, pass it up. If it was made this century, or in last 5 years, then it'd be worth a serious look.
MrG

2006 32x10 Custom River Cruiser "Regardless"
2007 Evinrude E-Tec 250 2-Stroke
2003 Sea-Doo GTX Limited Supercharged
Ohio River - Evansville, IN

dockholiday

#6 Post by dockholiday » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:48 pm

MrGadget wrote:I wouldn't go near an older 2-stroke that didn't have DFI and a self-managed oil reservoir. If you have to pre-mix, pass it up. If it was made this century, or in last 5 years, then it'd be worth a serious look.

Thought the premix days ended in the late 70's or early 80's. My 90 hp 89 merc had an oil reservior. Not advocating going that old for sure, since like I said the newer the motor the more fuel efficient. Good question, Anyone know when the premix days vanished, and oil injection came on the scene?
doc

MrGadget

#7 Post by MrGadget » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:59 am

This is what I get for replying to forums while otherwise distracted. I humbly admit reading the original msg and not seeing who posted it. mea culpa.

WoodenPontoon: You have the coolest build I've seen pics of. Do you know how much it weighs? My research led me to the conclusion that I'd put a 4-stroke on a light go-fast boat, probably supercharged, and for a heavy cruiser I'd rather have the 2-stroke for the torque and better power-to-weight ratio.

You can tow it to the nearest truck stop and for about $8-10 they'll tell you the scale weight of each axle...just subtract the trailer weight (weigh it separately empty or look it up from the manufacturer). I would even go as far as dropping the trailer on the front leg on the next scale plate and pulling the truck forward...that will tell you your balance weight by having the trailer wheels on one plate and the trailer stand on another by itself.
MrG

dockholiday

#8 Post by dockholiday » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:16 am

Dan

Got any new photos.......Never tire of seeing photos of that boat..........
doc

WoodenPontoon

#9 Post by WoodenPontoon » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:08 pm

Hey guys thanks for all of the replies. The motor that I'll be gettting is of the 80's vintage. I'm sure it will be noisier and less efficient than the newer models, but I'll have to get my pocketbook a breather before I move to one of those babies.

I am quite certain that it does not use premixed fuel. I just hope that it doesn't use a tremendous amount of it. I have not given any thoughts to carrying a portable tank. I don't know where I would put one.

My brother and I laid in about 400' of wiring today. We installed 3 and 4" PVC tubing inside and across the hulls to support the wires. Now we have to start attaching the various components to the helm. Should keep us busy for a couple more days. We got the batteries in yesterday we should soon be able to listen to the stereo as we work!

Doc - You asked about pictures. I have really not taken any since the wooden boat show at the end of June. I am launching her on Labor Day Weekend and promise to post some pictures then. Thanks for asking for them.

MrGadget - Thanks for the compilments about my boat. My estimates for weight are between 2800 and 3000 pounds (wet weight). With the larger engine, I may be closer to the upper range. I will be putting it on the scales soon. I was planning to visit the town's transfer station (dump) and use their scales. It sounds like the truck scales can provide better information.
2009 --- 22 1/2' All Wood Basement-HandCrafted Tri-Hulled Pontoon "All Spruced Up"

dockholiday

#10 Post by dockholiday » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:46 pm

Dan, whatever you get, I hope it works well for you. If anyone needed some R&R it is probably you, know building that boat was labor intensive to say nothing of a little stress during construction. Here is wishing you well
doc

MrGadget

#11 Post by MrGadget » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:59 am

Here's a thought for you....

You've already had this out to one boat show, and from what I gather you got some nice attention. You may want to consider taking it to some more shows when it's done. With that in mind, consider this: Get [Motor Maker] to sponsor you with a new 150 rigged and installed. Make it available for some media, maybe with the local dealer or shop. For them there's value in the high probability that you're going to be visible, and get some attention, and get your picture taken, and the [Motor Maker] brand name is going to be in the shot.

Decide which motor you want, and contact the maker's media relations department and pitch the idea. I'd say make the pitch by email and include a few really good shots of the boat, including a couple from its appearance at the June show.

Nutty as that all may sound, you've nothing to lose and everything to gain by asking.
MrG

dockholiday

#12 Post by dockholiday » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:40 am

That is a good idea, since you have a very unique boat, it might work. If not free you might get a substantial discount.

scfishnman

#13 Post by scfishnman » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:19 am

My first pontoon boat was a 24 footer with a 90 Evinrude (1989). The boat had two 6 gallon tanks. I usually ran it at about 3000 RPM and could get several hours of run time without refueling. Those older Evinrude and Johnson 2-stokes without oil injection were very reliable. Mine was 14 years old when I sold it, and it ran great. It only required routine maintenance and a water impeller replacement. My only complaint was that it was hard to start. Pumping the fuel line bulb vigorously before starting was a must. A neighbor had a 50hp Evinrude of the same vintage on his pontoon boat. He did no maintenance, left it sitting in the water with the engine lowered year around, and treated it very hard. The boat would sit unused for the entire winter without being winterized. He would run the motor at full throttle in reverse as soon as it started trying to pull the pontoon off of the shore (this sometimes took a full minute to get the boat into the water) and then run it at full throttle the rest of the time. I could not believe that the engine lasted 10 years.
-- Aqua Patio 240DC triple toon 225 Yamaha 4-stroke
-- 17' Polar Kraft w/ 75 hp Evinrude Etec
-- Yamaha Waverunner FX Cruiser HO
-- Yamaha Waverunner FX HO

WoodenPontoon

#14 Post by WoodenPontoon » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:36 pm

MrGadget wrote:Here's a thought for you....
Get [Motor Maker] to sponsor you with a new 150 rigged and installed. .....
Decide which motor you want, and contact the maker's media relations department and pitch the idea. I'd say make the pitch by email and include a few really good shots of the boat, including a couple from its appearance at the June show.

Nutty as that all may sound, you've nothing to lose and everything to gain by asking.
MrG - This concept had never crossed my mind!!!!! It certainly would be worth a try. All they can do is say that they weren't interested.

I honestly believe that thought was in Bennington's head when they agreed to sell me their seats and bimini.

Thanks for the idea. I really like it!!

scfishnman - Thanks for the info on gas consumption. It sounds like your previous motor is very similar to that which I will be getting.

onthelaketwo

#15 Post by onthelaketwo » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:43 pm

I have the 2006 90hp Evinrude etec on my pontoon... its a great motor. It burns about 2.7 GPH with a good cruising speed. I usually tend to cruise around 4000 RPM, but have some no wake zones, so calculating MPG would be hard. A very quiet motor.

I also have a 1984(?) Evinrude 60HP on a 15 foot runabout. It does have the direct oil injection from a small tank. Can be converted to mixed gas, so you have to ask when you buy. The thing runs great, and it is easy to winterize.
I have never kept good track of fuel consumption, but have two 6 gallon tanks.
It seems easy on gas, but its only pushing a lightweight boat. Not as quiet as the etec.

Your boat looks great! Hope you can get somebody to sponser.
2005 Manitou Oasis LF4
2006 Evinruide ETEC 90hp
Sea-legs installed
14x11