Winter storing on blocks.

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

asop

Winter storing on blocks.

#1 Post by asop » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:43 pm

My 2000 Monarch has a "V" shared piece of alumnimum welded to the bottom on the toons. Is it OK to sit it down on the 6X6's without veeing out the top of the 6X6's or should I "V' out the 6X6's to accomadate this Vee? Thanks

lakerunner
Site Moderator

Re: Winter storing on blocks.

#2 Post by lakerunner » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:38 pm

Are you running length or across? Be sure and support at joints as they are stronger if using across from toon to toon. No need to groove for keel guard I wouldn't think
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

fishmor

#3 Post by fishmor » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:25 pm

Use foam blocks at the very backend where the end is welded on to the tube and at the front where the nosecone is welded to the tube. That is the strongest points, also the foam accommodates the keels you are referring to. If you bend the keels they might crack at the welds. I have seen several logs damaged on the bottom from setting them on blocks in the middle areas of the logs especially when set on something like wood.
"Usefulness is the true test of value"
"You never own anything, it owns you"
"Be Happy and Do Good" Eccls 3:12

GXPWeasel

#4 Post by GXPWeasel » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:47 pm

Personally, I think you would be better off setting the boat on blocks that did sit the boat on the keel guards. This angle iron, or alluminum is much harder to bend than the sheet ( tube ) of the pontoon, and if you notch the boards out for the keel guard, you are putting all of the weight of the boat on a small portion of the toon, instead of the keel guard, which is usually seamless, or atleast the seams don't match the seams in the toon. To keep it simple, don't cut out all the way for the keel guard IMO.
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26