boat horn inop.

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

icedaddy

boat horn inop.

#1 Post by icedaddy » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:53 am

hey guys or gals need some help replaced high & low tone horns thinking it was the horn but guess not replaced relay not either will only click & slight chirp. cleaned all contacts still the same checked battery has 12.9 volts. ran new ground wire by passed horn switch. still the same. help!!!! ready to pull out my hair. 20' monarch 40 force

lakerunner
Site Moderator

Re: boat horn inop.

#2 Post by lakerunner » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:49 am

I replaced mine with a coaches whistle which our lake gestapo prefers
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

dockholiday

#3 Post by dockholiday » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:09 am

might be a good excuse to install one of these

http://www.trainhornkits.com/
doc

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#4 Post by HandymanHerb » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:30 am

Lakes use to be quite and peaceful, boom boxes and now train horns , ovy vey, now you know why I like to boat in the middle of the week, when you can see the wild life.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

dockholiday

#5 Post by dockholiday » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:32 pm

HandymanHerb wrote:Lakes use to be quite and peaceful, boom boxes and now train horns , ovy vey, now you know why I like to boat in the middle of the week, when you can see the wild life.
yep, can remember when if you had a 30 watts stereo you were kicking ass. Now we are at 3000 watts. Glad we don't have many of those around our area. The train horn, is kinda like carrying a gun, hope you don't need it but its there for those special people that needed to be shown the err of there ways. Was looking at some of the air horns on marine sites and ran across the train horn idea. Might as well go all the way if you get one.
doc

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#6 Post by HandymanHerb » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:58 pm

I know you be responsible user, well unless you really wanted to scare someone :biggrin2 :biggrin2 :biggrin2

It's just the thought of laying back with a fishing pole in my hands thinking what a nice day it is when WTF, where's the tater gun lake left here for such use :rofl :rofl :rofl
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

jimrs

#7 Post by jimrs » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:25 pm

Damn if this topic did not get off track. It was funny though when I read the title I thought who the hell cares. You cant hear those damn horns anyway unless you have been run over by the boat blowing his. Most people in the boat don't hear it when its blown. Unless you have a truck or train horn no one can hear it anyway. I don't know why there required.
2001 22' Tracker Regency (sold)
2001 Mercury 90 HP (sold)
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau

wed

#8 Post by wed » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:42 pm

lets get this back on track - Good that you replaced the ground but you may have excess voltage drop in the hot side wiring. Was helping my boss with horn on his sailboat. He assumed his horn was bad and we replaced it - click, chirp, then nothing - replaced ground wire and had same thing. Troubleshooting revealed voltage drop in hot wiring due to corrosion. You should have battery voltage (maybe a few tents of a volt less) at the horn when operating.

You should check the voltage available at the horn when the button is pushed. A cheap automotive type volmeter will work for this. There should be battery voltage at the hot horn connection when you push the button. If the voltage is much less than 12 volts you have a problem. This problem could be because of corrosion or partially broken hot wire. It could also occur if you have replaced the old horn with a louder horn that draws more amps. If so you will need to increase the wire size and supply fuse for it to work properly.

Hope this helps.
2009 Tracker Fishing Barge 21 /NV logs/90 Merc 4 stroke
2007 GMC Sierra
Toledo Bend Reservoir Louisiana (mostly)

martys

#9 Post by martys » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:13 am

I did this with my old cuddy cabin boat. Disconnect the wires from the horn at its location. Take a portable 12v battery and make a temporary wire harness, connect the temporary wires right to the horn. If the horn works, then trouble shoot backwards from this point. Makes sure your boat battery is fully charge.

:usa
Premier 22.5 Legend Triple
150 E-Tec
Baltimore, Maryland