New to the boating world - need help and advice!

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ewt

New to the boating world - need help and advice!

#1 Post by ewt » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi! My husband and I have decided to buy a pontoon. We've never owned a boat of any kind and know nothing...so I hope y'all can help! We rented a 22' covered boat slip and are considering a G3 LX20 F/C Sun Catcher with a 75hp motor. We'll probably be using it for fishing, pulling kids in tubes, and relaxing cruises around the lake...usually with around 4 adults. Any general advice you think we should know would be helpful, but I would appreciate your opinions on a couple of things. First - 2 logs or 3? Second - carpet or vinyl? Thank you all for any help and advice you can give the new kids on the block!

fishmor

Re: New to the boating world - need help and advice!

#2 Post by fishmor » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:13 pm

3 logs-minimum of 75 hp. 90 or more better.
"Usefulness is the true test of value"
"You never own anything, it owns you"
"Be Happy and Do Good" Eccls 3:12

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#3 Post by lakerunner » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:53 pm

With a 75 3 logs thought giving more lift and capacity will also cause more drag. A 75 and 2 logs would be adequate. With a 3 log no less than 115 IMO. Whats the HP rating? I would stay as close to max as possible. Pulling tubes will pull the 75 down pretty good to. It will pull them but they may fall asleep from boredom.

I will never have carpet on a boat again now that vinyl is available. My neighbor has the vinyl and it so easy to clean. No worry about chips ground in and causing grease stains.

Welcome and good luck with purchase
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

cwag911

#4 Post by cwag911 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:55 pm

I prefer 3 logs but we're on a big lake and it can get rough depending on weather and boat traffic. 3 logs are more stable and you sit higher in the water. If you have young kids then 75 hp will be fine to pull them with but as they get older they'll want to go faster. It's all up to what you want out of the boat and how long you plan on keeping it. I would also take a boating safety course especially if you've never boated before. It'll save yours or someone elses live. BTW Welcome. :lol3

and yes to what Lakerunner said.
Carl & Suzi
07 Bennington 2275rl triton w/ strakes
150 Honda 15x15p Enertia prop
Power assisted steering
Denver, NC Lake Norman
Pleiku, Vietnam 1971
Agent Orange survivor (so far)

mikeherb

#5 Post by mikeherb » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:05 pm

No one has every complained about having too much HP on a boat. It is much more economical to upgrade your HP when the purchase is new then to do it later.

We bought our boat used as a two log and have added a third log as a custom and am now working to upgrade my HP. If you go 3 logs and max your HP as much as you can afford you will not be disappointed with the boat, and the extra money you invest will pay off by keeping the boat longer.

Good luck and keep us posted on your decision. We love :pics so send some over when you get your boat.

jimrs

#6 Post by jimrs » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:19 pm

Old Saying

Buy your second boat first.

Having said that I would try and get as much motor as allowed on any boat I bought.
This is more true with a toon, buying too small of a motor is a pain for the rest of the time you own that boat. I have only done that once and that is the one I have now. Rated for a 135 I got a 90. I listened to the salesman and he said 90 is all you need.
I don't think that it would have been a lot better but I would feel better knowing I had all I needed.
2001 22' Tracker Regency (sold)
2001 Mercury 90 HP (sold)
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau

Heatman

#7 Post by Heatman » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:05 pm

ewt, Welcome to the forum!

The size of lake will really make a difference in the size/ type of toon to purchase. The largest lake we go to is only 3,000 acres and our 22'-2 log-90 hp toon is just fine for that.
2014 Tracker Targa V-18 Combo/ Mercury 150hp 4 stroke
'06 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4 Big Horn Hemi
Sheridan, Indiana

dahogman

#8 Post by dahogman » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:43 am

I had a 2005 G3 LX20 F/C. Mine was equipped with a Yamaha 90 hp 4 stroke. The motor was awesome, very, very quiet. When I anchored you could not hear the motor running. Many times while fishing my buddy would say. "Do you hear water running?" It was the pee stream. My boat was a two tube and and I liked the boat alot. I wish the fishing seats had been on the stern though. The 90 hp got me a best speed of 28 mph. I wish I had a little bigger motor on it even with the 90hp. IMO you will not be happy with the 75. If you afford a little extra for the 90 you won't be sorry. If you can't find a way to get the extra money, find a way, and if you still can't find the money, find it anyway. :wink:
Deja Moo.....The feeling that you've heard this Bull before!!!
2011 Tracker Targa V18 WT, 150 Mercury Optimax

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#9 Post by lakerunner » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:13 am

dahogman wrote:I had a 2005 G3 LX20 F/C. Mine was equipped with a Yamaha 90 hp 4 stroke. The motor was awesome, very, very quiet. When I anchored you could not hear the motor running. Many times while fishing my buddy would say. "Do you hear water running?" It was the pee stream. My boat was a two tube and and I liked the boat alot. I wish the fishing seats had been on the stern though. The 90 hp got me a best speed of 28 mph. I wish I had a little bigger motor on it even with the 90hp. IMO you will not be happy with the 75. If you afford a little extra for the 90 you won't be sorry. If you can't find a way to get the extra money, find a way, and if you still can't find the money, find it anyway. :wink:

Most turn motor off when anchored
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

dockholiday

#10 Post by dockholiday » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:27 am

I am pretty much with Carl on the three log boats. Guess the exception is the suntracker nv log boat. They have a video on their website. Looks like they are getting some pretty respectable speed for a two log with these boats. Like mentioned earlier just depends on the size of the lake you will be on. Had a two log with a 90 for over 10 years, just opted for the tritoon when I traded to increase my cruising range, also helps if you need to get back to the dock in a hurry due to weather or some other problem.
doc

dahogman

#11 Post by dahogman » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:58 am

Most turn motor off when anchored[/quote]

But when you've got money like mine, why bother? :wink:
Deja Moo.....The feeling that you've heard this Bull before!!!
2011 Tracker Targa V18 WT, 150 Mercury Optimax

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#12 Post by lakerunner » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:42 am

Yeah I didn't consider that :fyou
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller