new to toons' and got a few questions for all you gurus!!!

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

hotairgypsy

new to toons' and got a few questions for all you gurus!!!

#1 Post by hotairgypsy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:16 pm

and a little suck up never hurt anyone!!!

Well i have already bought the bought and have been working on getting it dependable on the water. I purchased a 84 sun tracker party barge 24' with a 75 hp mercury. it had been sitting in a warehouse for several years(pic attached was it sitting in the warehouse when i went to preview) and I had to get it running again. well i did and then i found this forum and have been reading all i can. From my reading it is pretty low end boat but i think it is a good starter boat for me. I am very experienced with jet skis and decided to get this since i have a 2 year old and want her to enjoy the lake.

The boat is getting to the point of running good but not perfect yet. looks like i am having starter problems and will be addressing that on the next trip. The best speed i have got out of it is about 20 with just me on board but an average of 18 with 6 on board. I burn though gas like nothing but from my readings it is due to it being a 84. old stuff not as efficient. I do have to mix the gas in the gas container. does not have the res for the system to mix itself. so here are my questions:

1. I want to install a tachometer(rpm) gauge and wanted to know what all you suggest

2. where do i find out how to wire the tech up?

3. I know my sticker on the boat said it is rated for 115hp engine...what do i need to do to make it stronger to put as big of an engine as i can. see i can pick up boats at auction reasonable so i want to upgrade the motor and helm on it. the 18mph is driving me nuts.

4. what is the best setup on a trailer to make it easy to load back up. I am not liking my setup and am looking to change it.

5. where do i find the vinyl for the flooring and is it slick where someone can fall?

6.where can i find a replacement cover for the canopy?

7. what do you suggest on a second canopy for the front to cover most of the boat in shade.

8. where is a good place to find used funiture to replace what i have to save a few bucks?
Attachments
side.jpg
side.jpg (252.1 KiB) Viewed 2612 times

looneytoons

Re: new to toons' and got a few questions for all you gurus!!!

#2 Post by looneytoons » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:37 pm

And, you need a new tire. Congrats on the boat. My kids grew up on a boat and now the grandbabies.

Toon
2007 G3 LX3 25C
Yamaha F150

hotairgypsy

#3 Post by hotairgypsy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:40 pm

the day i bought it i took it to discount tire and had 2 new tires put on... got er done :thumbsup

dahogman

#4 Post by dahogman » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:08 pm

Local canvas shop might be your best bet on top. Have them custom make one for you. You can then decide on color, fabric, and any other variables. :biggrin2
Deja Moo.....The feeling that you've heard this Bull before!!!
2011 Tracker Targa V18 WT, 150 Mercury Optimax

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#5 Post by lakerunner » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:50 pm

1. I want to install a tachometer(rpm) gauge and wanted to know what all you suggest

2. where do i find out how to wire the tech up?------If your lucky there may be a tac hookup wire on your shift box. If not under the cowl on the wiring harness there should be a tac wire.
3. I know my sticker on the boat said it is rated for 115hp engine...what do i need to do to make it stronger to put as big of an engine as i can. see i can pick up boats at auction reasonable so i want to upgrade the motor and helm on it. the 18mph is driving me nuts.-----Many have put a third log to upgrade HP and capacity
4. what is the best setup on a trailer to make it easy to load back up. I am not liking my setup and am looking to change it.------ I had L shaped and braced brackets to clamp on trailer and used carpeted 2X6 as guides. once started boat loads itself correctly everytime5. where do i find the vinyl for the flooring and is it slick where someone can fall?-------Overtons carry it I know. It is great, non skid and easy to clean
6.where can i find a replacement cover for the canopy?

7. what do you suggest on a second canopy for the front to cover most of the boat in shade.----You could add an aftermarket bimini up front or have your top lengthened

8. where is a good place to find used funiture to replace what i have to save a few bucks?
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

jimrs

#6 Post by jimrs » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:21 am

I have a friend who has that same boat, he got it free from a friend. He put a 90hp Yamaha on it and that's about it. He uses it all the time it's not the fastest toon on the lake but it's one of the cheapest. One of the main problems is that those old boats had small toons and plow more water than needed I don't think a 200 hp would help it go much faster than 28 or 29 mph. I would figure my options will it be cost effective to fix up or buy something newer and more to your liking. I think I would use it until I found something better and newer.
2001 22' Tracker Regency (sold)
2001 Mercury 90 HP (sold)
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau