trolling motor advice

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ewt

trolling motor advice

#1 Post by ewt » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:52 pm

My husband and I are new to the boating world and are about to buy our first boat ever...probably a G3 LX 20 F/C pontoon with a 90hp motor. We'll be doing some fishing, so we pretty much need a trolling motor...right? Any advice on what we should get? Looks like they can be anywhere from $450 to $2,600. That's a big range.

Oh, also...I think carpet comes standard in this particular boat but should we get vinyl instead? I've heard it's much easier to keep clean. Opinions?

I sent another topic a couple of days ago and really appreciate everyone's help. You people in the boating world are really nice! I think I'm going to love being a part of your world!

wwind3

Re: trolling motor advice

#2 Post by wwind3 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:33 am

ewt wrote:My husband and I are new to the boating world and are about to buy our first boat ever...probably a G3 LX 20 F/C pontoon with a 90hp motor. We'll be doing some fishing, so we pretty much need a trolling motor...right? Any advice on what we should get? Looks like they can be anywhere from $450 to $2,600. That's a big range.

Oh, also...I think carpet comes standard in this particular boat but should we get vinyl instead? I've heard it's much easier to keep clean. Opinions?

I sent another topic a couple of days ago and really appreciate everyone's help. You people in the boating world are really nice! I think I'm going to love being a part of your world!
Hi---I got the 20 ft fishing model by Lowe wth a 90. Motor Guide W55 wireless---pulls the boat around nicely altho is noisy when it turns.

Went without the carpet---much easier to clean altho floor gets hot in the sun.

Overall am very happy with the setup. boat handles rough water very well---good performance and smooth ride.

Get the factory underskinning.
2009 LOWE SS204 25in logs
90 Merc Optimax
Motorguide W55 Wireless
Underskinning
28 GPS

JohnO

#3 Post by JohnO » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:53 am

Hi---I got the 20 ft fishing model by Lowe wth a 90. Motor Guide W55 wireless---pulls the boat around nicely altho is noisy when it turns.

Overall am very happy with the setup. boat handles rough water very well---good performance and smooth ride.

Get the factory underskinning.[/quote]

I've also got the Motor guide wireless. I've got 74 pounds thrust and it moves my 24' boat at about 4 mph in still water. Can drive it from anywhere on the boat. Like it a lot.
2006 24' Manitou Osprey Pro SHP F2
175 Yamaha VMax
2016 Ford F150

oldmn19

#4 Post by oldmn19 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:09 am

If you will do a lot of fishing or have little folks with you most of the time I would suggest the vinyl in a light color. I have a Minkota wireless trolling motor mounted on a slide mount on the bow. When not fishing I store it on the back on another slide mount. I love the wireless feature as you can run trolling motor from anywhere on boat and no foot control to trip over. Good luck! :biggrin2
2005 Tuscany TS2286FC by Sweetwater
22 ft, 90 hp 4s Yamaha
Lorance 332c GPS/Fishfinder
Minnkota copilot Trolling motor
3 battery's, tandem axle trailer pulled by 05 Dodge Quad Cab Hemi 2x2.

dahogman

#5 Post by dahogman » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:17 am

I think the G3 LX20 F/C comes standard with underskinning. :)
Deja Moo.....The feeling that you've heard this Bull before!!!
2011 Tracker Targa V18 WT, 150 Mercury Optimax