buying used pontoon boat--what should I look for

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

floridagramps

buying used pontoon boat--what should I look for

#1 Post by floridagramps » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:51 pm

Hi all

I am new to pontooning but have had large and small boats in past. I am now retired living in FL but I just bought a camp on Branch Lake, Maine. Nice lake about 7 mi x 3 mi. We'll do fair weather boating w grandkids.

I am looking at 18 footers preferably w a 4 stroke. Would appreciate tips re what to look for in buying a used pontoon boat beyond taking a test ride and researching the pricing for similar models on Craigs list. Any easy way to assure myself that pontoons are water tight.

One last question............how big an outboard do I need to tow my 250 lbs son on skis?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. I am really looking forward to this boating chapter.

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: buying used pontoon boat--what should I look for

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:17 pm

That big of lake you want to go bigger than 18 foot, 22 foot would be about right and for towing you want at least a 90, but bigger would be better.

22 foot will be more stable when the lake get rough and you be able to load more people up to go swiming or just riding around.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

mikeherb

Re: buying used pontoon boat--what should I look for

#3 Post by mikeherb » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:55 pm

I have a 90 on my 24 footer and didn't have a smell of pulling my 270 lb brother out of the water on skis (this was prior to adding my sundeck).

If you really want to ski with a toon you should probably consider a 3 log boat with at least a 115HP but more likely a 150 HP. If you're just tubing you can get by with a 2 log boat with a 90 HP, but again, more would be better.

I agree with Herb, a 22 or 24 footer would be better. Much more capacity that an 18 footer.